Butzel's Corporate and Finance Practice Department provides effective, responsive, and creative assistance to public and private issuers, underwriters, placement agents, initial purchasers, and others, with a full range of securities-related services. Our team is comprised of highly experienced lawyers who are recognized for their legal acumen in this intricate area of the law and for their commitment to providing an exemplary level of service to our clients. Our services include public and private placements of various types of equity and debt securities, mergers and acquisitions, and assistance with regulatory compliance.
We assist with periodic and other reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Section 16 and Rule 144 reporting requirements, Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) compliance, proxy statements, corporate disclosures and communications, tender offers, share repurchase and going private programs, and insider trading issues.
We help with private placements and related federal and state Blue Sky law compliance, initial public offerings (IPOs), reverse mergers, and venture capital and private equity investments.
The attorneys that comprise the Corporate and Finance Practice Department collectively possess expertise that ranges across industries including automotive and manufacturing to high technology, health care, real estate, and bio-tech and alternative energy—and many others. We provide public and private offerings assistance to established companies, start-ups, and emerging companies in new industries. As a large firm, we’re able to harness the resources of diverse practice departments to provide our clients with the expertise they require, including specialized counsel on banking and finance law matters, commercial lending, financial services, fund formation, mutual funds/registered funds, private equity, and more.
Members of this team remain informed on pending developments and changes implemented pertinent to this area of the law. They are regularly sought as speakers on panels covering securities and corporate finance topics and have published treatises and articles on these subjects. Many of our attorneys participate on key American Bar Association and other bar association committees. We’re proud that our firm and our attorneys have been acknowledged year-after-year by a variety of top legal industry publications, regionally and nationally, in this area of the law.
Areas of Concentration
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 2.27.2023
- Client Alert, 10.27.2022
- Client Alert, 10.12.2022
- Client Alert, 4.12.2022
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.22.2023
- Firm News, 9.6.2023
- Firm News, 7.27.2023
- Firm News, 3.29.2023
- Firm News, 2.24.2023
- Firm News, 1.17.2023
- Firm News, 12.6.2022
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- Firm News, 3.9.2022
- Represented a machinery company in a sale to an ESOP and related commercial financing
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for the initial public offering of software company.
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for public debt offering for a financial services firm.
- Represented real estate development in private placement of LLC interests
- Counsel for public companies in manufacturing, bio-medical, technology and real estate industries in going private transactions including all filings with SEC.
- Venture capital financing for a home health care services corporation.
- Preparation of numerous dividend reinvestment and share repurchase plans for public companies including all required filings with SEC.
- Series C Preferred Stock Venture Capital Financing
- Represented experimental engine manufacturer in bridge financing of working capital needs
- Acted as counsel for issuers and for participating broker-dealer firms in many private securities offerings pursuant to SEC Regulation D, Regulation S and various state exemptions.
- Representation of technology company in Series A and Series B venture capital financings, including due diligence, bridge financing, investor documentation, employment agreements, etc.
- Assisted a pharmaceuticals company in several rounds of venture capital financing
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for initial public offering and follow on offering for real estate investment trust.
- Represented pharmaceuticals company in multiple-round preferred stock financings involving five venture capital investors
- 3rd tranche of Series B Preferred Stock Venture Capital Financing
- Representation of health services company in reverse merger with a public company as means of going public.
- Represented Santa Rosa Consulting in its $25 million equity capitalization by private equity investors