Laura E. Johnson is a Shareholder based in Butzel's Troy office, practicing in the area of business and corporate law.
Ms. Johnson is Chair of the firm's corporate and real estate groups and practices primarily in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, nonprofit organizations, corporate governance, entity formation and general corporate and business law. She advises clients in venture capital and private equity transactions.
Ms. Johnson is a member of the firm's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee and Pro Bono Committee (past Co- Chair). She has also served as a member of OESA’s Young Leadership Council 3 and a member of its Talent Retention subcommittee.
Prior to joining Butzel, Ms. Johnson worked as a law clerk in the office of the General Counsel for DaimlerChrysler Financial Services Americas and also held several positions with DFCU Financial Federal Credit Union.
Ms. Johnson is a graduate of Michigan State University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2009) where she was a member of Law Review and Executive Editor (2008-09). She also graduated from the University of Michigan (B.A., with honors, 2006).
Ms. Johnson is admitted to practice in Michigan State Courts, New York State Courts and the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. She is a member of the Federal Bar Association and the State Bar of Michigan.
- Delaware Rapid Arbitration Act
- Contributor to ABA’s The Developing Labor Law
- Contributor to Original Equipment Supplier Association (OESA) North American OEM Production P.O. Terms and Conditions Comparative Analysis
All Related Practice Areas
- Acquisition & Disposition
- Automotive Industry Team
- Automotive Law
- Business Partnerships, Joint Ventures, and LLCs
- Corporate and Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Specialty Team
- Europe International Team
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Private Equity
- Real Estate
- Tribal Law Specialty Team
- Womens Leadership Committee
University of Michigan 2006, B.A.
Michigan State University College of Law 2009, J.D.
- New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Corporate Law, 2016-2018, 2020-2024; Mergers & Acquisitions, 2017-2018, 2020-2023
The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Governance Law, 2023, 2024
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2022, 2023
- Represented and advised client in purchases of insurance companies
- Represented and led negotiations in purchase of shares of medical company
- Assists company in the polymers business in various asset and equity transactions, including cross border due diligence and coordination.
- Represented insurance agency focusing on personal and commercial insurance, group benefits and other life insurance, annuities and long term care in numerous acquisitions over the years of several agencies.
- Represented sale of assets of a paving and concrete services business, including negotiation of non-compete for ultimate seller.
- Representation of sale of U.S. entity in the business of providing low code development services, with an affiliate entity in India, including negotiations of rollover agreement, transition services agreement and option cancellations.
- Represented insurance agency in its sale to buyer, ultimately owned by a private equity firm, including negotiating and preparing documentation for rollover equity and earn-out.
- Represented provider of limb protheses in sale to strategic buyer, a publicly traded company on the Iceland Stock Exchange, including navigation of antitrust issues and voluntary submission to, and ultimate approval with, the FTC.
- Represented global provider of personal respiratory protected and safety essentials in its sale to a strategic buyer. Transaction went through an auction process, involved various foreign affiliates and regulatory filings.
- Represented foreign company in acquisition of software companies in asset transactions, including management of due diligence
- Successfully defended and defeated class certification motions in a multi-million dollar Florida concrete antitrust action
- Successfully closed a complex, $50 million private equity financing including a reincorporation merger and a myriad of difficult pre-closing transactions
- Successfully negotiated dispute with large shareholder including redemption of shares and related tax and financing issues
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.22.2023
- Firm News, 9.6.2023
- Firm News, 8.23.2023
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 11.9.2022
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- Firm News, 8.12.2022
- Firm News, 5.11.2022
- Webinar, 6.15.2021
- Sterling Heights, MI, 5.10.2016
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 11.20.2023
- Client Alert, 7.19.2023
- Client Alert, 3.29.2023
- Client Alert, 4.12.2022