Butzel Long's mergers and acquisitions practice has been ranked as a leading practice in Chambers USA since the company began ranking U.S. law firms. Our clientele range from major international corporations to small, closely-held companies. They come from many industries, including automotive, banking and financial services, biotechnology, energy, gaming and hospitality, healthcare, information technology, insurance, investment management, manufacturing, mutual funds, pharmaceutical, retail, and telecommunications.
Our practice is global. We have handled numerous cross-border transactions involving business in Canada, China, Europe, India, Mexico, Russia, and South America.
We routinely advise clients on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs, leveraged buyouts, tender offers, proxy contests, exchange offers, joint ventures, strategic alliances, private equity investments, and going private transactions. Our team takes an interdisciplinary approach by partnering with investment bankers, accountants, and other advisors to ensure that our transactions are completed effectively and efficiently. We also consult with other area specialists within the firm antitrust, bankruptcy, corporate finance, employee benefits, environmental, executive compensation, intellectual property, labor, real estate, and taxation to ensure that all aspects of a deal are considered and properly handled.
- DirectorDirectorShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderDirectorCounselCounselCounselJump to PageOf CounselAssociate
Alerts & Publications
News & Events
- Firm News, 5.11.2022
- Firm News, 3.9.2022
- 10.14.2010Butzel Long attorney is president of French-American Chamber of Commerce Michigan Chapter
- 9.27.2010Butzel Long Shareholder Receives 2010 International Mergers & Acquisitions Advisor Award
- Lead counsel for asset purchase transaction of Aerospace and Medical Devices manufacturers
- $75 million acquisition of US and non-US assets; complex deal involved acquisition of stock and assets located in North America, Europe, Asia and South America
- Represented global polymers manufacturer in acquisition of assets of Hydro Components Research and Development Corporation.
- Acquisitions counsel for customs broker
- Represented a private equity investor in the lengthy and complicated effort to purchase all of Ford Motor Company's glass manufacturing operations in North America
- Represented software development company in sales of shares
- Lead counsel for global polymers manufacturer in multiple acquisition and disposition transactions, including complex, multi-continent acquisitions, numerous acquisitions of U.S. based distributors and disposition of operations in Canada and the U.S.
- Represented U.S and German subsidiaries of Japan-based manufacturing company in acquisition of aerospace and defense company from subsidiaries of U.K.-based manufacturer, which included CFIUS and ITAR filings
- Assisted a large IT consulting company in a disposition merger with a major industry participant
- Lead counsel for major auto supplier in numerous M&A transactions, both those based solely in the US and those with US and foreign components
- Assisted Lakeshore Engineering Services Inc. in their acquisition of Toltest Inc., creating Lakeshore Toltest Corp., one of the largest federal and municipal contracting companies in the Midwest.
- Sold a U.S. based defense subcontractor to a subsidiary of an Israeli defense contractor; project involved a CFIUS filing, notifications and filings under ITAR
- Represented one of Greece's largest business enterprises in the $650 million acquisition of the United States operations of a major multinational construction materials company.
- Represented an infrastructure investment fund with the acquisition of port facilities and in proposals to acquire other infrastructure assets
- Represented publicly-held utility holding company in proposed $3 billion acquisition by private equity investors.
- Represented private equity firm in connection with recapitalization of engineering business.
- Asset sale for automotive supplier
- Mergers of two separate groups of construction trade groups
- Representation of company for purchase of telecommunications business in over 25 countries.
- Asset Purchase in industrial furnace industry
- Represented an automotive fasteners company in a disposition merger
- Complex, multi-continent acquisitions of companies for an international polymers manufacturer
- Asset acquisition for major international manufacturer
- Assisted an international polymers manufacturer in numerous acquisitions of U.S. based companies
- Represented a multi-national engineering and infrastructure services firm in the acquisition of engineering businesses in Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Representation of engineering services client in acquisition of other engineering services company structured share exchange.
- Acted as counsel in international acquisition of software company. The transaction included multi-jurisdictional asset transfers, export controls issues and special licensing and development agreements.
- Represented a publicly-traded diversified resources company in the acquisition of more than 40 construction materials, construction and other businesses since 1997 for a total of more than $900 million.
- Representation of Fortune 500 company in disposition of two health care subsidiaries. Issues included structuring for tax and regulatory considerations, state licensing transfer requirements and filings.
- Acquisition of majority joint venturer's interest
- Asset acquisition for publicly traded foreign-based corporation
- Provided legal advice to major life insurance company with well known mutual fund subsidiary in company's demutualization and merger with another insurance company
- Representation of French company in acquisition of troubled assets of automotive supplier with U.S. and Canadian operations.