Geoffrey S. Gallinger is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel's Troy office. He graduated from Michigan State University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1987) and Michigan State University (B.A., Business Administration/Pre-Law, 1984).
Mr. Gallinger's practice includes counseling clients regarding general business and corporate planning needs, including all forms of real estate transactions and developments, acquisitions, leasing, financing, opinion letters, business and corporate project management and condominiums. He also has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and joint ventures, shareholder matters and general business transactions. His areas of specialty are corporate and business transactions and financing, real estate transactions, development and financing, troubled asset and work-out restructuring and financing.
His representative transactions include the financing and acquisition of a $1Billion portfolio of 27 operating properties; acquisition of McClouth Steel Trenton and Gibraltar plants and property; acquisition of Hotel Pontchartrain; acquisition of Aurora Hospital; acquisition of Kindred Hospital; negotiation and administration of ASC, Incorporated office and industrial plants portfolio sales; financing and restructuring of new plants, property and equipment financing for $30M+ Loan Participation; entity structure and stock acquisition of Japanese corporation; negotiation of lease and design/build project for 400K sq ft distribution facility; negotiation of stalking-horse Purchase Agreement for purchase of warehousing and distribution center property in bankruptcy; purchase and development acquisition of Book Tower Building; $250M financing for multi-state portfolio; and as local counsel for numerous multi-state real estate portfolio financing transactions.
Mr. Gallinger is the Past President of the Detroit Athletic Club (2019-2020) and served the maximum of six years on the DAC Board of Directors (2014 – 2020). Mr. Gallinger served and continues to serve in numerous other standing and special committee assignments; other service activities include Board of Trustees Ford Piquette Avenue Plant Museum; Greater Detroit Business Association, Inc., Board of Directors and Executive Committee; Downtown Detroit Partnership Stakeholder's Committee; Board of Directors (and Past Chair) for The Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board; Board of Directors (and Past Chair) of the Edwin Denby Children's Home Advisory Board; Board of Directors of the Metropolitan Detroit Harbor Light Advisory Board; Board of Directors of the Booth Legal Aid Clinic; Detroit Economic Club Gold Club Member; Member of Urban Land Institute and Graduate of Larson Leadership Program; as well as numerous Board positions with privately-held corporations.
Mr. Gallinger is a member of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, and Business Law Sections of the American Bar Association and the Real Property Law, Business Law Sections of the State Bar of Michigan. He is a lecturer and author of articles for corporate and trade groups, bar association sections and business and professional seminars regarding real estate, and contract law and employment matters.
Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University 1987, J.D.
Michigan State University 1984, B.A.
- Detroit Athletic Club - Acting President
- The Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board - Board Member (Past Board Chair 2009-2011
- Denby Children's Home – Board Member (Past Board Chair 2005-2009)
- Metropolitan Detroit Harbor Light - Advisory Board member
- Booth Legal Aid Clinic - Advisory Board member
- American Bar Association - Real Property Section, Probate and Trust Law Section, Business Law Section, and Labor and Employment Section
- Detroit Urban Land Institute – Member
- Detroit Economic Club – Gold Member
- ULI/Larson Leadership Program - Class 2014-2015
- State Bar of Michigan - Real Property Law Section, Business Law Section
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2018-2022; Corporate Law, 2021-2022
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Real Estate Law, 2012, 2014, 2021 & 2022; Land Use & Zoning, 2021 & 2022
- Representation of automotive company in loan participation and restructuring; acquisition of Canadian US operations
- Developed and negotiated industrial lease for major manufacturers
- Acted as lead counsel in negotiating and structuring large industrial design/build lease, including coordination of all aspects of financing and project oversight
- Created loan/financing structure for capital acquisition and industrial expansion for Canadian and U.S. structure and operations
News & Events
- Detroit, MI, 10.4.2017
Alerts & Publications