Jennifer A. Dukarski
Jennifer A. Dukarski is a Shareholder based in Butzel Long's Ann Arbor office, practicing in the areas of intellectual property, media and technology. She focuses her practice at the intersection of technology and communications with an emphasis on the legal issues arising from emerging and disruptive innovation: vehicle safety, connected and autonomous cars, data privacy and security, patient portals and telehealth, infotainment, and mobile apps. With experience in intellectual property, automotive and media law, she leads clients in securing and protecting technology through transactions and litigation.
Ms. Dukarski represents automotive suppliers in vehicle safety, connected and autonomous car technology, warranty and product quality disputes. Her automotive expertise as a former design engineer and quality manager has made her a valuable team member in complex product-related litigation covering warranty disputes, trade secrets and potential supply-chain stoppages. Ms. Dukarski has represented clients involved in field recalls and FMVSS noncompliance with NHTSA. She also advises on big data and technical matters including the connected and autonomous car, automotive threat vectors and privacy. Ms. Dukarski also uses her emerging technology expertise to draft and negotiate development agreements and technology licensing.
She is a contributor to the Original Equipment Supplier Association (OESA) North American OEM Production P.O. Terms and Conditions Comparative Analysis and currently serves as Counsel to OESA's Product and Technology Development Council.
Digital Media, Traditional Media and First Amendment
Ms. Dukarski assists a broad range of clients in internet advertising, promotions and branding in the age of sponsored content.
She also represents clients on First Amendment issues and has briefed establishment of religion and freedom of religion claims for the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Intellectual Property and Technology
Ms. Dukarski’s Technology practice focuses on technology transactions and cybersecurity threat detection, risk assessment, breach mitigation and response. She leads clients through assessment of IT systems, employee policies, business agreements and product architecture to prepare and mitigate the effect of data breach and cyberattacks. Ms. Dukarski has drafted and advised on commercialization agreements, purchase orders, global terms and conditions, and intellectual property reviews during due diligence including detailed reviews of technological and digital media assets. Ms. Dukarski has also successfully navigated the CFIUS process in the acquisition of a technology company in bankruptcy, assisting a foreign buyer.
Ms. Dukarski's Intellectual Property practice focuses on the prosecution, protection, licensing and enforcement of trademarks, copyrights and trade secret rights. She has successfully represented clients in Opposition and Cancellation proceedings in front of the United States Trademark and Trial Board. She has assisted trademark and copyright clients in federal court matters.
Ms. Dukarski is currently a member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Technology Law and Training Advisory Board.
Ms. Dukarski's Health Care practice focuses in the use of digital media and technology in health care including data privacy education, patient portals, telehealth, health apps, training and compliance. She represents a broad range of clients, including covered entities, business associates and independent news organizations covering health care, where she represented a nationally recognized website in compliance and health related copyright issues. She co-authored the Healthcare Licensing Manual for the State Bar's Healthcare Law Section to assist individuals in navigating the licensing and disciplinary processes in Michigan. She is a national panelist on the topic of data protection in health care with an emphasis on HIPAA/HITECH, health IT and E-Health. Prior to joining Butzel Long, Ms. Dukarski advised Health Legislative Aids (HLA's) for the Michigan delegation in the United States House of Representative s and the Senate on arthritis initiatives.
As a self-titled "recovering engineer," Ms. Dukarski held high-level quality management and engineering positions at major Tier One suppliers. She worked extensively on successful automotive product launches, managing vendors and manufacturing facilities. She has industry-based experience with field recalls and was a representative to the University of Michigan's CIREN (Crash Injury Research & Engineering Network) and UMPIRE (University of Michigan Program for Injury Research and Education). Working as a design engineer, she received multiple Record of Invention Awards for contributions to patents and trade secrets. She is a Six Sigma Certified Master Black Belt.
Ms. Dukarski is a graduate of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2010). Her honors include the Frank Murphy Honor Society Member and the Denise Ilitch Scholarship Award. She was an Associate Editor at the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review and the Executive Director of the Moot Court Board of Advocates where she won the National Championship at the inaugural National Moot Court Invitational Tournament.
Ms. Dukarski is also a graduate of the University of Detroit Mercy College of Engineering and Science, (B.S., Mechanical Engineering, summa cum laude, 1996). Her undergraduate honors and activities include: Insignis Scholar, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society Member, Student Service Award, Student of the Year Award, Reverend Huetter Award for Leadership in Athletics, and Fencing Team Captain.
Ms. Dukarski also held positions at the United States House of Representatives, Washington, D.C. as a Congressional Page, and at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, as Adjunct Faculty. Ms. Dukarski currently serves as Advisory Board Member to the University of Detroit Mercy College of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Department; and is an adjunct professor at Baker College, teaching Intellectual Property Law in the Paralegal program.
- Automotive Industry Team
- Automotive Law
- Connected Car and Autonomous Vehicles
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Specialty Team
- Emerging Technology Specialty Team
- Finance & Restructuring
- Freedom of Information Act & Open Meetings Act
- Health Care
- Health Care Industry Team
- Health Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade and Customs Specialty Team
- Media Law
- Media Litigation
- Pre-Publication Review
- Privacy, Data Breach & Data Security
- Product Liability/Recall & Warranty
- Social Media, Privacy & Technology Specialty Team
- Telemedicine & E-Health
- Trademark Law
- Womens Leadership Committee
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Law School 2010, J.D.
- University of Detroit Mercy Undergraduate 1996, B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2018 & 2019
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star Intellectual Property Litigation, 2013-2018
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Intellectual Property & Patent Law, 2014; Copyright Law, 2016-2019; Information Technology Law, 2017 & 2018
Member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Technology Law and Training Advisory Board
Media Law Resource Center - Internet Law Committee
American Bar Association - Intellectual Property, Science and Technology Law, and Litigation Sections
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Advisory Board Member to the University of Detroit Mercy College of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Department
Arthritis Ambassador for the Arthritis Foundation
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - Member of the Privacy and Security Architecture for Consumer Wireless Devices Working Group
- Submitted multiple amicus briefs in various courts on media issues for multiple clients, including media associations, newspapers and broadcasters
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski will discuss cybersecurity and privacy during several programs in October
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski discusses shaping regulations and safety standards for autonomous vehicles in the Automotive News
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski will discuss biometric data during Autonomous Vehicle Safety Regulation World Congress
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski will discuss self-driving cars during the CAR Management Briefing Seminars in July
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski featured during Michigan’s Leading Women of Autonomous Mobility panel program on March 7 in Ann Arbor
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski discusses legal concerns focused on the autonomous and connected car on WJR's Frank Beckmann Show
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski featured on November 16 edition of ‘Autoline This Week,’ a PBS national program
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski is a featured expert at the Autonomous Vehicle Safety Regulation World Congress
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski appointed Co-Chair of the Women in Communication Law Committee in the ABA Forum on Communication Law
- How auto leaders should address talent attraction/ retention/ and contractual/ legal issues are focus of timely, upcoming seminars
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski to co-present session during MINASF – Michigan Chapter’s Midwest seminar on August 11
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski to moderate panel during Driverless Cities Summit on October 27, 2016 in San Mateo, Calif.
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski quoted in Crain’s Detroit Business on automotive cybersecurity and bug bounties
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski named a “2016 Honoree for Michigan Women in the Law” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski appointed to serve as a liaison to ABA’s Forum on Communications Law
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski quoted in Crain's Detroit Business on Autonomous Vehicle Legislation
- Butzel Long attorney discusses legal hurdles of autonomous vehicles at University of Michigan Law School conference on April 15
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski interviewed on WJR's Opportunity Detroit about our upcoming Connected Car Symposium
- Legal tools, tips and advice for growing companies are focus of Butzel Long’s Detroit Business Symposium
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Roundtable and Networking Gathering on December 11
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski quoted in MLive article titled "Details of medical-related Kent County sheriff's cruiser crash obtained by MLive/Grand Rapids Press"
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski quoted in Crain's Detroit Business article titled "Cure for common codes: Devil is in details for open-source auto technology"
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during Walsh Business Leadership Institute’s fifth annual BusinessLIVE small business conference October 20 in Troy
- Butzel Long attorneys Robin Luce Herrmann and Jennifer A. Dukarski featured during Michigan Press Association seminars
- Automated Vehicles 3.0: A Movement towards Streamlining Exemptions and Mitigating Unintended Regulatory BarriersOctober 8, 2018
- August 1, 2018
- April 2, 2018
- March 9, 2018
- March 1, 2018
- February 12, 2018
- September 18, 2017
- September 8, 2017
- July 28, 2017
- July 20, 2017
- July 17, 2017
- SOLVING THE UNCERTAINTY IN DEVELOPMENT, TESTING, AND MARKETING OF DRIVERLESS VEHICLES – THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES DRAFTS LEGISLATION TO END THE “PATCHWORK” OF LAWSJune 28, 2017
- Senate Hearing on Connected Cars: Be On the Look-Out for Legislation; Standards-Setting Bodies Offer Industry Opportunities to Shape the Future of Automotive RegulationJune 16, 2017
- May 1, 2017
- NHTSA's Proposal to Mandate that Automobile Manufacturers Incorporate Vehicle-to-Vehicle Capabilities into New Cars – an UpdateJanuary 10, 2017
- January 6, 2017
- January 5, 2017
- December 19, 2016
- NHTSA's Proposal to Mandate that Automobile Manufacturers Incorporate Vehicle-to-Vehicle Capabilities into New CarsDecember 16, 2016
- December 2, 2016
- October 26, 2016
- September 30, 2016
- September 20, 2016
- September 20, 2016
- August 11, 2016
- July 27, 2016
- July 12, 2016
- June 6, 2016
- False, inaccurate and defamatory online reviews: How to take off the gloves and fight back legally and ethicallyJune 2, 2016
- March 18, 2016
- July 23, 2015
- April 10, 2015
- February 10, 2015
- June 30, 2014
- January 31, 2014
- September 3, 2013
- Social Media, Privacy, and Technology - Protecting Your Digital Investment & Brand is Critical to your BusinessOctober 3, 2012
- September 13, 2012
- Automation Alley Newsletter - The Securities and Exchange Commission Finalizes Conflict Mineral Rules - The Reporting Countdown BeginsSeptember 7, 2012
- Automotive - The Securities and Exchange Commission Finalizes Conflict Mineral Rules - The Reporting Countdown BeginsAugust 22, 2012
- Media Law - Recording the Police in Michigan: Protecting Yourself from Arrest in a Post-Occupy WorldMarch 8, 2012
- February 2, 2012
- Client Alert - Media - 7th Circuit Finds That A High School Athletic Association Can Enter Into Exclusive Contracts For Live StreamingAugust 26, 2011
- June 3, 2011
- April 26, 2011
- April 25, 2011
- Livonia, MI
- Ann Arbor, MI
- Troy, MI
- Troy, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Ann Arbor, MI
- Original Equipment Suppliers Association (OESA) Presents: OEM Terms & Conditions and Current Legal IssuesTroy, MI
- Detroit, MI