Copyright protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as photographs, computer software, manuscripts, architecture and songs. Our copyright attorneys have experience in all major areas of copyright protection and practice, including traditional print, music, art, digital content, and computer programs.
Butzel has extensive experience advising multinational and domestic companies on cross-border and foreign intellectual property issues. Our client are active in a myriad of industries, and we have immediate cost-efficient access to legal information and resources throughout the world.
Alerts & Publications
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 6.13.2022
- 2.1.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in the article, "How to protect your company's data" in the Nashville Business Journal
- Obtained summary judgment (and affirmance in the Court of Appeals) of copyright and trademark claims against national recording artist
- Represented a corporation in copyright litigation transferred to religious court
- Defended copyright action against critic
- Represented defendant recording artists in multi-million dollar music copyright case resulting in a "no cause" verdict.
- Asserted preemption arguments on behalf of copyright holder in infringement case
- Defended collegiate licensing entity in a copright lawsuit
- Enforced publisher's copyrights against infringer
- Represented automotive inspection company in copyright lawsuit related to car inspection software
- Asserted breach of distributor agreement claims on behalf of licensor of copyrighted computer code
- Represented employer in successfully negotiating settlement of covenant not to compete, copyright infringement, and unfair competition suit against former employees
- Defended copyright action involving photographs
- Asserted copyright infringement claims on behalf of the owners of copyrights associated with computer code
- Defended surviving members of 1960's rock band in trademark and copyright infringement action against Plaintiff's heirs who sought a preliminary injunction to prevent clients from continuing to use the trademarks and copyrights relating to the band.
- Defended nonprofit organization in trademark/copyright/domain name infringement litigation
- Represented a technology consulting company in negotiations and contemplated litigation against its former client regarding breach of the parties' non-disclosure agreement and related copyright infringement and theft of trade secrets claims.