In today's global economy and Internet-based society, data privacy and security is a major concern for corporations. Butzel has an experienced team that provides counsel to clients in a variety of business sectors with respect to the impact of global, federal and state regulations regarding data security, data breach, and data transfer. Our attorneys understand the challenges corporations face with the responsibilities of protecting data and all forms of information, and we place an emphasis on proactive solutions for the acquisition, aggregation, storage and transfer of data, including creating corporate policies and compliance protocols that are geared to support the risk management objectives of our clients.
Alerts & Publications
News & Events
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- Firm News, 6.21.2022
- WJR - 760AM, 11.12.2019
- 2.20.2014Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA Spying Leaves Law Firms Vulnerable To Litigation"
- 2.18.2014Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Report Of NSA Spying On Mayer Brown Rattles Other Firms"
- 8.14.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in POLITICO article titled "The cyberwar against the media"
- 6.20.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Microsoft May Feel Privacy Heat Despite Xbox Backtracking"
- 6.18.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "Google challenges U.S. gag order in NSA flap"
- 6.12.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA's Internet Spying May Prompt Belated Lawmaker Backlash"
- 6.12.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA Spying Admissions Strengthen Suits, But Hurdles Remain"
- 4.10.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article, "Obama Puts Cybersecurity On Pedestal With Budget Boost"
- 2.1.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in the article, "How to protect your company's data" in the Nashville Business Journal
- Sterling Heights, MI, 9.27.2017
- Pursuant to break-in of a client’s facilities, provided data breach assessment services and analysis of data loss and legal risk exposure for a national firm that served as a custodian for personally identifiable information.
- Serves as outside general counsel to two Northern Virginia high technology companies
- As a result of a technical network mis-configuration of access and permission rights to Protected Health Information (“PHI”), provided legal evaluation of data breach notification responsibilities.
- Led investigation of unauthorized ACH transactions for client, and successfully negotiated a resolution between the ODFI and the Originator.