Innovative trends and disruptive technologies surround the automotive industry and transportation sector. Poised between these new technologies and the urban infrastructure they transit are new mobility models and modes of transportation. While features such as autonomous driving, connectivity, electrification, and shared mobility are finding traction in recent model years, they also give rise to new legal issues and challenges.
Among the first in the nation to create a Connected and Autonomous Mobility Team, Butzel’s Connected and Autonomous Mobility Team is nationally recognized for its automotive and cybersecurity expertise. Our multidisciplinary Team represents decades of close consultation with automotive and technology suppliers. We know the industry, understand the technology, and offer practical solutions for our clients.
The Team has presented at top conferences and events including CES, the North American International Auto Show, the Autonomous Vehicle Safety Regulation World Congress, ISO World Congress, the CAR Management Briefing Seminar, SAE World Congress, Autoline, as well as at industry events in Metro Detroit and Silicon Valley.
Our Connected and Autonomous Mobility Team routinely advises on:
- Adapting to current and future safety standards and regulations
- Assessing and addressing liability involving emerging mobility technologies including design and manufacturing defects, warnings, misrepresentation and warranty issues
- Responding to potential safety defects, recalls and noncompliance, especially in the areas of software, hardware, and emerging technology
- Helping to create, implement, and provide key employee training, policies and practices to assess and mitigate legal risks and ethical issues in component design, launch, production, and delivery
- Allocating civil and criminal liability in the event of a cyberattack, vehicle hack or deliberate interference with mobility technology
- Defending and prosecuting litigation involving components with highly-complex and interconnected designs
- Assuring privacy principles and mitigating data ownership risk through notice, choice, and consent in data collection
- Recognizing and mitigating legal risk due to potential cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities
- Negotiating development and production contracts and licensing intellectual property in emerging technologies
- Securing valuable intellectual property rights in patent, copyright, and trademark related to mobility technologies
- ShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderDirectorShareholderJump to PageShareholderShareholder
Alerts & Publications
- Autonomous Vehicle Engineering, 5.1.2019
- Autonomous Vehicle Engineering, 3.1.2019
- Autonomous Vehicle Engineering, 1.1.2019
- Autonomous Vehicle Engineering, 3.1.2018
News & Events
- Firm News, 3.22.2022
- DBusiness, 6.13.2019
- Marketplace.org, 3.21.2019