Jennifer A. Dukarski
Jennifer A. Dukarski is a Shareholder based in Butzel Long's Ann Arbor office, practicing in the areas of intellectual property, media and technology. She focuses her practice at the intersection of technology and communications with an emphasis on the legal issues arising from emerging and disruptive innovation: vehicle safety, connected and autonomous cars, data privacy and security, patient portals and telehealth, infotainment, and mobile apps. With experience in intellectual property, automotive and media law, she leads clients in securing and protecting technology through transactions and litigation.
Ms. Dukarski represents automotive suppliers in vehicle safety, connected and autonomous car technology, warranty and product quality disputes. Her automotive expertise as a former design engineer and quality manager has made her a valuable team member in complex product-related litigation covering warranty disputes, trade secrets and potential supply-chain stoppages. Ms. Dukarski has represented clients involved in field recalls and FMVSS noncompliance with NHTSA. She also advises on big data and technical matters including the connected and autonomous car, automotive threat vectors and privacy. Ms. Dukarski also uses her emerging technology expertise to draft and negotiate development agreements and technology licensing.
She is a contributor to the Original Equipment Supplier Association (OESA) North American OEM Production P.O. Terms and Conditions Comparative Analysis and currently serves as Counsel to OESA's Product and Technology Development Council.
Digital Media, Traditional Media and First Amendment
Ms. Dukarski assists a broad range of clients in internet advertising, promotions and branding in the age of sponsored content.
She also represents clients on First Amendment issues and has briefed establishment of religion and freedom of religion claims for the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Intellectual Property and Technology
Ms. Dukarski’s Technology practice focuses on technology transactions and cybersecurity threat detection, risk assessment, breach mitigation and response. She leads clients through assessment of IT systems, employee policies, business agreements and product architecture to prepare and mitigate the effect of data breach and cyberattacks. Ms. Dukarski has drafted and advised on commercialization agreements, purchase orders, global terms and conditions, and intellectual property reviews during due diligence including detailed reviews of technological and digital media assets. Ms. Dukarski has also successfully navigated the CFIUS process in the acquisition of a technology company in bankruptcy, assisting a foreign buyer.
Ms. Dukarski's Intellectual Property practice focuses on the prosecution, protection, licensing and enforcement of trademarks, copyrights and trade secret rights. She has successfully represented clients in Opposition and Cancellation proceedings in front of the United States Trademark and Trial Board. She has assisted trademark and copyright clients in federal court matters.
Ms. Dukarski is currently a member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Technology Law and Training Advisory Board.
Ms. Dukarski's Health Care practice focuses in the use of digital media and technology in health care including data privacy education, patient portals, telehealth, health apps, training and compliance. She represents a broad range of clients, including covered entities, business associates and independent news organizations covering health care, where she represented a nationally recognized website in compliance and health related copyright issues. She co-authored the Healthcare Licensing Manual for the State Bar's Healthcare Law Section to assist individuals in navigating the licensing and disciplinary processes in Michigan. She is a national panelist on the topic of data protection in health care with an emphasis on HIPAA/HITECH, health IT and E-Health. Prior to joining Butzel Long, Ms. Dukarski advised Health Legislative Aids (HLA's) for the Michigan delegation in the United States House of Representative s and the Senate on arthritis initiatives.
As a self-titled "recovering engineer," Ms. Dukarski held high-level quality management and engineering positions at major Tier One suppliers. She worked extensively on successful automotive product launches, managing vendors and manufacturing facilities. She has industry-based experience with field recalls and was a representative to the University of Michigan's CIREN (Crash Injury Research & Engineering Network) and UMPIRE (University of Michigan Program for Injury Research and Education). Working as a design engineer, she received multiple Record of Invention Awards for contributions to patents and trade secrets. She is a Six Sigma Certified Master Black Belt.
Ms. Dukarski is a graduate of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2010). Her honors include the Frank Murphy Honor Society Member and the Denise Ilitch Scholarship Award. She was an Associate Editor at the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review and the Executive Director of the Moot Court Board of Advocates where she won the National Championship at the inaugural National Moot Court Invitational Tournament.
Ms. Dukarski is also a graduate of the University of Detroit Mercy College of Engineering and Science, (B.S., Mechanical Engineering, summa cum laude, 1996). Her undergraduate honors and activities include: Insignis Scholar, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society Member, Student Service Award, Student of the Year Award, Reverend Huetter Award for Leadership in Athletics, and Fencing Team Captain.
Ms. Dukarski also held positions at the United States House of Representatives, Washington, D.C. as a Congressional Page, and at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, as Adjunct Faculty. Ms. Dukarski currently serves as Advisory Board Member to the University of Detroit Mercy College of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Department; and is an adjunct professor at Baker College, teaching Intellectual Property Law in the Paralegal program.
- International Trade and Customs Specialty Team
- Freedom of Information Act & Open Meetings Act
- Health Information Technology
- Privacy, Data Breach & Data Security
- Telemedicine & E-Health
- Connected Car and Autonomous Vehicles
- Media Litigation
- Pre-Publication Review
- Media Law
- Automotive Law
- Womens Leadership Committee
- Product Liability/Recall & Warranty
- Automotive Industry Team
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Specialty Team
- Health Care Industry Team
- Social Media, Privacy & Technology Specialty Team
- Trademark Law
- Emerging Technology Specialty Team
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Finance & Restructuring
- University of Detroit Mercy Undergraduate 1996, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Law School 2010, J.D.
Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2018 & 2019
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star Intellectual Property Litigation, 2013-2018
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Intellectual Property & Patent Law, 2014; Copyright Law, 2016-2018; Information Technology Law, 2017 & 2018
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Technology Law and Training Advisory Board
Media Law Resource Center - Internet Law Committee
American Bar Association - Intellectual Property, Science and Technology Law, and Litigation Sections
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Advisory Board Member to the University of Detroit Mercy College of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Department
Arthritis Ambassador for the Arthritis Foundation
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - Member of the Privacy and Security Architecture for Consumer Wireless Devices Working Group
- Submitted multiple amicus briefs in various courts on media issues for multiple clients, including media associations, newspapers and broadcasters
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2018 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Crain’s Detroit Business’ ‘Notable Women in IT/Tech in Michigan’
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski discusses shaping regulations and safety standards for autonomous vehicles in the Automotive News
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski will discuss biometric data during Autonomous Vehicle Safety Regulation World Congress
- Ann Arbor Symposium focuses on connected and autonomous vehicle advances
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski featured recently during MSU workshop on autonomous vehicles
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski will discuss self-driving cars during the CAR Management Briefing Seminars in July
- Butzel Long Attorney Jennifer Dukarski Quoted by Reuters Regarding Fatal Self-Driving Uber Accident
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski featured during Michigan’s Leading Women of Autonomous Mobility panel program on March 7 in Ann Arbor
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski discusses legal concerns focused on the autonomous and connected car on WJR's Frank Beckmann Show
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski achieves prestigious IEEE Senior Member Level status
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski featured on November 16 edition of ‘Autoline This Week,’ a PBS national program
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski is a featured expert at the Autonomous Vehicle Safety Regulation World Congress
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski appointed Co-Chair of the Women in Communication Law Committee in the ABA Forum on Communication Law
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2017 Super Lawyers list
- How auto leaders should address talent attraction/ retention/ and contractual/ legal issues are focus of timely, upcoming seminars
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski to co-present session during MINASF – Michigan Chapter’s Midwest seminar on August 11
- Butzel Long elects shareholders
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski to moderate panel during Driverless Cities Summit on October 27, 2016 in San Mateo, Calif.
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski quoted in Crain’s Detroit Business on automotive cybersecurity and bug bounties
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski named a “2016 Honoree for Michigan Women in the Law” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski appointed to serve as a liaison to ABA’s Forum on Communications Law
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski quoted in Crain's Detroit Business on Autonomous Vehicle Legislation
- Butzel Long attorney discusses legal hurdles of autonomous vehicles at University of Michigan Law School conference on April 15
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during OESA California Regional Supplier Meeting on April 19
- Road to autonomous, connected cars is filled with risks
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski interviewed on WJR's Opportunity Detroit about our upcoming Connected Car Symposium
- Detroit Symposium focuses on connected and autonomous vehicle advances
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2016
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Legal tools, tips and advice for growing companies are focus of Butzel Long’s Detroit Business Symposium
- Fifty-Five Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorney named adjunct professor
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Roundtable and Networking Gathering on December 11
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2014
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 18
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski quoted in MLive article titled "Details of medical-related Kent County sheriff's cruiser crash obtained by MLive/Grand Rapids Press"
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer Dukarski quoted in Crain's Detroit Business article titled "Cure for common codes: Devil is in details for open-source auto technology"
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on March 21
- Butzel Long attorney Jennifer A. Dukarski named Counsel to OESA’s Product Development Council
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during OESA Commercial Trends and Legal Strategy v.2011 program
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during Walsh Business Leadership Institute’s fifth annual BusinessLIVE small business conference October 20 in Troy
- Butzel Long attorneys Robin Luce Herrmann and Jennifer A. Dukarski featured during Michigan Press Association seminars
- The Art and Science of Health Industry Entrepreneurship: Take Away
- Grabbing a Tweet or Facebook Post - The New Danger
- Waymo v. Uber -- “Epic” Trade Secret Case Involving Autonomous Vehicles Settles for $244 Million
- Automated Driving Systems 2.0: No Surprises
- Full House of Representatives Quickly Advances Highly Automated Vehicle (HAV) Legislation
- Riding the Wave of Innovation: The Future of Electronic Health Records?
- Key House Panel Takes First Step Toward Passing Landmark Automated Vehicle Legislation
- Good News and Bad News from the FCC
- SOLVING THE UNCERTAINTY IN DEVELOPMENT, TESTING, AND MARKETING OF DRIVERLESS VEHICLES – THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES DRAFTS LEGISLATION TO END THE “PATCHWORK” OF LAWS
- Senate Hearing on Connected Cars: Be On the Look-Out for Legislation; Standards-Setting Bodies Offer Industry Opportunities to Shape the Future of Automotive Regulation
- NHTSA's Proposal to Mandate that Automobile Manufacturers Incorporate Vehicle-to-Vehicle Capabilities into New Cars – an Update
- Staying Connected at CES 2017 - Day 2
- Staying Connected at CES 2017
- So you want to test an autonomous vehicle… Michigan moves forward; California seeks to stall Uber
- NHTSA's Proposal to Mandate that Automobile Manufacturers Incorporate Vehicle-to-Vehicle Capabilities into New Cars
- Trump Administration Forecast: How the Telecom Sector could be affected
- The Imperative of Security by Design: NHTSA Releases Cybersecurity Best Practices
- Suffer a small HIPAA breach? OCR may be looking for you!
- No Time for Complacency
- A Paradigm Shift? Understanding the New Federal Automated Vehicles Policy
- Innovation vs. Safety: Regulatory Impacts on Connected and Autonomous Vehicles
- Public Interest Groups Seek to Halt Further Deployment of Connected Car Technologies
- Cybersecurity: What is it and What to do about it
- Connected Cars at Risk
- False, inaccurate and defamatory online reviews: How to take off the gloves and fight back legally and ethically
- NHTSA Announcement
- Connecting the Car: Managing the Risks of Cybersecurity and Privacy
- Administration's GROW AMERICA Proposal Reveals Expansion of NHTSA Powers
- Sony, Target, Home Depot… Could Your Vehicle be a Hacker's Next Target?
- Canadian Anti-Spam Law
- CMS Moratorium Ices Home Health Agencies and Ambulance Companies in HEAT Locations
- Health Care - Michigan Senate Passes Medicaid Expansion
- Social Media, Privacy, and Technology - Protecting Your Digital Investment & Brand is Critical to your Business
- Automation Alley Newsletter - The Securities and Exchange Commission Finalizes Conflict Mineral Rules - The Reporting Countdown Begins
- Automotive - The Securities and Exchange Commission Finalizes Conflict Mineral Rules - The Reporting Countdown Begins
- Media Law - Period Of Time For Challenging FOIA Denial Begins The Date The Denial Is Mailed
- Client Alert - Media - 7th Circuit Finds That A High School Athletic Association Can Enter Into Exclusive Contracts For Live Streaming
- Media Law - The Open Meetings Act Requires Public Bodies to Specify their Decisions
- Media Law - Sunshine Laws Include Access to Voting Information
- Media Law - Recent Rulings