Claudia Rast is a shareholder based in Butzel Long's Ann Arbor office. Blending her expertise in law, business, and science, Ms. Rast assists companies in their strategic choice and use of technology. She counsels companies both large and small on innovative and emerging issues in the areas of privacy, cybersecurity, data theft, intellectual property licensing and registration, and the forensic preservation and analysis of electronically stored information. With the rise of cyber events in recent years, her background in forensics, IT environments and security has proved invaluable in working with clients to both defend against and respond to pervasive cyber attacks. Similarly, over the past several years, Ms. Rast has worked within both the IT entrepreneur community and the automotive supplier network to negotiate contracts covering innovative technologies associated with autonomous and connected vehicles, such as security, privacy, IP ownership, and new and potential regulations.
Ms. Rast is also an experienced environmental lawyer, focusing on alternative energy and sustainability practices, including work on the development of a global Rule of Law Index for environment and energy with the World Justice Project. Nationally, she was appointed by the President of the American Bar Association in 2013, and reappointed in 2016 to serve on the ABA's Presidential Cybersecurity Legal Task Force, where task force members examine risks posed by criminals, terrorists and nations that seek to steal personal and financial information, disrupt critical infrastructure, and wage cyberwar. Locally, she is a Board Member of the Clean Energy Coalition (CEC), where she developed the legal framework for the DOE's $15M grant to the CEC for the Michigan Green Fleets project and the Michigan Public Service Commission's $4.5M grant for the Cities of Promise program. In Ann Arbor, she is a Board member with the New Enterprise Forum, where she coaches technology start-ups in their efforts to connect with management expertise, venture capital, and business partners.
Ms. Rast is a frequent national speaker on matters ranging from Cybersecurity, Privacy, Data Breach, eDiscovery, and Social Media. Her publications include articles for Environmental Compliance and Litigation Strategy (August 1998) and the Institute of Management Consultants USA (March 1999). She was a contributor to ICLE's Michigan Environmental Law Deskbook, Vols. I-II (1994), and co-authored the annual update on Environmental Law for The Wayne Law Review in 1990. On the business and technology side, she has written articles for Michigan Banker Magazine (April 1997), Detroiter (June 1998), Environmental Compliance and Litigation Strategy (August 1998), the Institute of Management Consultants USA (March 1999), and the Michigan Chamber of Commerce magazine, Michigan Forward (February 2000). She is also a contributing author to ICLE's Advising eBusiness Startups (June 2001), and The Internet & Technology Guide for Michigan Lawyers (ICLE 1996-1999), with licensed editions in California, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Massachusetts, and Illinois. Ms. Rast also authored an online course for CPE credit, CPA's Guide to Privacy (Bisk Education 2006, 2012, 2014 & 2016), and a chapter on Privacy & Data Breach for Thompson Reuters' "Inside the Minds" Aspatore Book series (April 2013). More recent articles include those for the ABA Section of Environment, Energy and Resources Trends newsletter on “Cybersecurity for Lawyers to Critical Infrastructure Clients” (Jan 2014 & Feb 2017), a book chapter entitled “Confidentiality and Security in a Modern World” for the ABA book entitled Ethics for the Environmental Lawyer, and a chapter in the 2d edition of the ABA Cybersecurity Handbook scheduled for publication in August 2017.
Ms. Rast's memberships include the American Bar Association's Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, where she has been involved in the leadership of the Section since 1999, including Chair of the Section in 2008-2009, Ann Arbor's New Enterprise Forum Board of Directors (2008-present), the Michigan League of Conservation Voters Board of Directors (2008-2013), ICLE's Technology Training Advisory Board (1998-present), and Walsh College’s Technology Advisory Board (2016-present). In 2001, she was the only lawyer named as a Technology Industry Leader in Crain's Detroit Business, and in 2003 the Ann Arbor Chapter of American Women in Computing named her as one of twenty "Top Michigan Women in Computing." In 2015, she was named by Michigan’s Lawyer’s Weekly as a “Leader in the Law,” defined as someone who is “changing the law, expanding access to justice and improving the profession and their communities.”
Ms. Rast is a graduate of the University of Michigan (B.S., Natural Resources) and cum laude graduate of the University of Detroit School of Law, where she served as Editor-in-Chief of the University of Detroit Law Review. In 2014, Ms. Rast successfully completed the four-week online program, "Tackling the Challenges of Big Data," developed and taught by the faculty of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory in collaboration with MIT Professional Education.
- Trademark Law
- Licensing & Technology
- Privacy, Data Breach & Data Security
- International Business
- Technology & E-Discovery Industry Team
- Social Media, Privacy & Technology Specialty Team
- Environmental & Natural Resources
- Technology and E-Discovery Specialty Team
- Corporate and Finance
- Telecommunications and Technology
- Health Care Industry Team
- Automotive Law
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Specialty Team
- Connected Car and Autonomous Vehicles
- Intellectual Property
- Finance & Restructuring
- Automotive Industry Team
- Health Care
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Law School 1986, J.D.
- University of Michigan Undergraduate 1975, B.S.
Leader in the Law, Michigan Lawyer's Weekly 2015
The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 2013-2017
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Energy Law, 2012-2013 Information Technology Law, 2012, 2014, 2017 Information Management & Discovery Law, 2014, 2016-2017 Environmental Law, 2016
American Women in Computing, Ann Arbor Chapter - named one of twenty "Top Michigan Women in Computing" (2003)
Crain's Detroit Business - only lawyer named as a Technology Industry Leader (2001)
Editor-in-Chief of the University of Detroit Law Review (1985-1986)
American Bar Association - Cybersecurity Legal Task Force (Member)
American Bar Association - Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (Chair, 2008-2009)
Ann Arbor's New Enterprise Forum
ICLE - Technology Training Advisory Board
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Crain's Detroit Business article on smart cars and patent litigation
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast appointed to ABA Cybersecurity Legal Task Force
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast interviewed on Practical Law
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during OESA California Regional Supplier Meeting on April 19
- Road to autonomous, connected cars is filled with risks
- Detroit Symposium focuses on connected and autonomous vehicle advances
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2016
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast named to Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s ‘Leaders in the Law’
- Butzel Long law firm hosts program/ webinar on Cybersecurity – Threats, Responses and Best Practices on February 18 in Detroit
- Butzel Long Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA Spying Leaves Law Firms Vulnerable To Litigation"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Report Of NSA Spying On Mayer Brown Rattles Other Firms"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Google Data Privacy Ruling Widens ECPA Divide"
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2014
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Google Tracking Win Exposes Cracks In Stale Privacy Laws
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Google's Email Setback Hands Weapon To Privacy Plaintiffs"
- Butzel Long attorney featured during several key speaking opportunities this fall
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2014
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in POLITICO article titled "The cyberwar against the media"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Microsoft May Feel Privacy Heat Despite Xbox Backtracking"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "Google challenges U.S. gag order in NSA flap"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "ANALYSIS: Why Google can flatly deny knowledge of Prism"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA's Internet Spying May Prompt Belated Lawmaker Backlash"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA Spying Admissions Strengthen Suits, But Hurdles Remain"
- Half-day seminar offers accountants and financial planners important tax law updates
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Bloomberg's Terminal Snooping May Draw Criminal Charges"
- Butzel Long attorney featured during MACPA programs in May
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "AP Twitter hack underscores social media pitfalls"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article, "Obama Puts Cybersecurity On Pedestal With Budget Boost"
- Butzel Long attorney appointed to the ABA President’s Legal Task Force on Cybersecurity
- Butzel Long attorneys to discuss significant changes to HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules at March 22 breakfast briefing at Automation Alley in Troy
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in the article, "How to protect your company's data" in the Nashville Business Journal
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2013
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast to moderate panel presentation during 12th Annual InsideCounsel SuperConference April 23-24 in Chicago
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast will be a featured speaker during the ICLE’s 24th Annual Business Law Institute May 4-5, 2012 in Grand Rapids
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast featured recently during KPMG Detroit Audit Committee Roundtable program
- 68 Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2012
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during Walsh Business Leadership Institute’s fifth annual BusinessLIVE small business conference October 20 in Troy
- Technology/ Environmental attorney Claudia Rast joins Butzel Long law firm
- WannaCry Impacts and Lessons are Global
- Staying Connected at CES 2017 - Day 2
- Staying Connected at CES 2017
- The Imperative of Security by Design: NHTSA Releases Cybersecurity Best Practices
- A Paradigm Shift? Understanding the New Federal Automated Vehicles Policy
- Innovation vs. Safety: Regulatory Impacts on Connected and Autonomous Vehicles
- Connecting the Car: Managing the Risks of Cybersecurity and Privacy
- Snyder Issues Energy Agenda For Michigan
- Sony, Target, Home Depot… Could Your Vehicle be a Hacker's Next Target?
- Canadian Anti-Spam Law
- Social Media, Privacy, and Technology - Protecting Your Digital Investment & Brand is Critical to your Business
- Client Alert - Intellectual Property - Protect Your Brand from Association with XXX Domains
- Client Alert - Environmental - Michigan Property Assessed Clean Energy Act
- Client Alert: Environmental - Self-Implementing Cleanups and "No Further Action" Letters
- Client Alert: Environmental - Green Chemistry Eligible to Receive Tax Credits
- Cybersecurity Summit: Protecting Your Business April 28, 2016
- Cybersecurity – Threats, Liabilities & Best Practices Presentation, April 21, 2016
- Hacking and Tracking: Cybersecurity, Privacy & Data Ownership, April 19, 2016
- ABA SEER Spring Conf Practical Considerations in Terrorist Attack 31 Mar 2016
- Protecting Client Confidences in an Environment of Ubiquitous Media: Rule 3.6 of the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct
- Defending Against Cyber Threats
- Security on the Fly
- Protect Your Brand from Association with XXX Domains - Sunrise B Form