Claudia Rast is a Shareholder based in Butzel Long's Ann Arbor office and is the Practice Department Chair of the Intellectual Property, Cybersecurity and Emerging Technology Group. Blending her expertise in law, business, and science, Ms. Rast assists companies in their strategic choice and use of technology. She counsels companies both large and small on innovative and emerging issues in the areas of privacy, cybersecurity, data theft, intellectual property licensing and registration, and the forensic preservation and analysis of electronically stored information. With the rise of cyber events in recent years, her background in forensics, IT environments, and security has proved invaluable in working with clients to both defend against and respond to pervasive cyber attacks. Similarly, over the past several years, Ms. Rast has worked within both the IT entrepreneur community and the automotive supplier network to negotiate contracts covering innovative technologies associated with autonomous and connected vehicles, such as security, privacy, data ownership, and responses to the new laws and regulations, both domestic and foreign.
Ms. Rast is also an experienced environmental lawyer, focusing on alternative energy and sustainability practices, including work on the development of a global Rule of Law Index for environment and energy with the World Justice Project. Nationally, she was appointed by the President of the American Bar Association in 2013, and reappointed in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, to serve on the ABA's Presidential Cybersecurity Legal Task Force. This Task Force examines risks posed by criminals, terrorists, and nation-states that seek to steal personal and financial information, disrupt and destroy critical infrastructure, and wage cyberwar. Locally, she served (2006-2013) as a Board Member of the Clean Energy Coalition (CEC), where she developed the legal framework for the DOE's $15M grant in 2009 to the CEC for the Michigan Green Fleets project and the Michigan Public Service Commission's $4.5M grant for the Cities of Promise program. In Ann Arbor, she served on the Board of the New Enterprise Forum (2008-2013), where she coached technology start-ups in their efforts to connect with management expertise, venture capital, and business partners. Currently, she serves on the Board of the Children’s Leukemia Foundation of Michigan (2018--) and chairs the IT and security committee.
Ms. Rast is a frequent national speaker on matters ranging from Cybersecurity, Privacy, Data Breach, eDiscovery, and Social Media. Her publications include articles for Environmental Compliance and Litigation Strategy (August 1998) and the Institute of Management Consultants USA (March 1999). She was a contributor to ICLE's Michigan Environmental Law Deskbook, Vols. I-II (1994), and co-authored the annual update on Environmental Law for The Wayne Law Review in 1990. On the business and technology side, she has written articles for Michigan Banker Magazine (April 1997), Detroiter (June 1998), Environmental Compliance and Litigation Strategy (August 1998), the Institute of Management Consultants USA (March 1999), and the Michigan Chamber of Commerce magazine, Michigan Forward (February 2000). She is also a contributing author to ICLE's Advising eBusiness Startups (June 2001), and The Internet & Technology Guide for Michigan Lawyers (ICLE 1996-1999), with licensed editions in California, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Massachusetts, and Illinois. Ms. Rast also authored an online course for CPE credit, CPA's Guide to Privacy (Bisk Education 2006, 2012, 2014, 2016, & 2018), and a chapter on Privacy & Data Breach for Thompson Reuters' "Inside the Minds" Aspatore Book series (April 2013). More recent articles include those for the ABA Section of Environment, Energy and Resources Trends newsletter on “Cybersecurity for Lawyers to Critical Infrastructure Clients” (Jan 2014 & Feb 2017), a book chapter entitled “Confidentiality and Security in a Modern World” for the ABA book entitled Ethics for the Environmental Lawyer, and a chapter in the 2d edition of the ABA Cybersecurity Handbook entitled Cybersecurity for the Home Office: The Lawyer's Guide to Taking Charge of Your Own Information Security (September 2017). Another ABA book should be ready for publication in early 2020 on Cybersecurity Incident Response, for which she is a co-author.
Ms. Rast's memberships include the American Bar Association's Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, where she has been involved in the leadership of the Section since 1999, including serving as Chair of the Section in 2008-2009. In addition to the Board memberships listed above, she has served on the Ann Arbor New Enterprise Forum Board (2008-2013), the Michigan League of Conservation Voters Board (2008-2013), ICLE's Technology Training Advisory Board (1998-2016), and the Walsh College Technology Advisory Board (2016-2018). In 2001, she was the only lawyer named as a Technology Industry Leader in Crain's Detroit Business, and in 2003 the Ann Arbor Chapter of American Women in Computing named her as one of twenty "Top Michigan Women in Computing." In 2015, she was named by Michigan’s Lawyer’s Weekly as a “Leader in the Law,” defined as someone who is “changing the law, expanding access to justice and improving the profession and their communities.”
Ms. Rast is a graduate of the University of Michigan (B.S., Natural Resources) and cum laude graduate of the University of Detroit School of Law, where she served as Editor-in-Chief of the University of Detroit Law Review. In 2014, Ms. Rast successfully completed the four-week online program, "Tackling the Challenges of Big Data," developed and taught by the faculty of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory in collaboration with MIT Professional Education.
- Automotive Industry Team
- Automotive Law
- Connected Car and Autonomous Vehicles
- Corporate and Finance
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Specialty Team
- E-Discovery Specialty Team
- Emerging Technology Specialty Team
- Environmental & Natural Resources
- Finance & Restructuring
- Health Care
- Health Care Industry Team
- Intellectual Property
- International Business
- Licensing & Technology
- Media Law Specialty Team
- Privacy, Data Breach & Data Security
- Telecommunications and Technology
- Trademark Law
- University of Michigan 1975, B.S.
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law 1986, J.D.
Leader in the Law, Michigan Lawyer's Weekly 2015
The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 2013-2020; CleanTech Law, 2018-2020; Information Technology Law, 2018-2020; Privacy and Data Security Law, 2019 & 2020
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Energy Law, 2012-2013 Information Technology Law, 2012, 2014, 2017-2019 Information Management & Discovery Law, 2014, 2016-2018 Environmental Law, 2016 Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2018 & 2019
American Women in Computing, Ann Arbor Chapter - named one of twenty "Top Michigan Women in Computing" (2003)
Crain's Detroit Business - only lawyer named as a Technology Industry Leader (2001)
Editor-in-Chief of the University of Detroit Law Review (1985-1986)
Michigan Super Lawyers, Technology Transactions, 2017 & 2018
American Bar Association - Cybersecurity Legal Task Force (Member)
American Bar Association - Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (Chair, 2008-2009)
Ann Arbor's New Enterprise Forum
ICLE - Technology Training Advisory Board
- DBusiness Magazine
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast featured during the 2018 Sustainable U! Women & Girls’ Development & Leadership Empowerment Institute on June 30
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Crain's Detroit Business article on new EU data privacy rules
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Crain's Detroit Business article on smart cars and patent litigation
- Butzel Long law firm hosts program/ webinar on Cybersecurity – Threats, Responses and Best Practices on February 18 in Detroit
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA Spying Leaves Law Firms Vulnerable To Litigation"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Report Of NSA Spying On Mayer Brown Rattles Other Firms"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Google Data Privacy Ruling Widens ECPA Divide"
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Google Tracking Win Exposes Cracks In Stale Privacy Laws
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Google's Email Setback Hands Weapon To Privacy Plaintiffs"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in POLITICO article titled "The cyberwar against the media"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Microsoft May Feel Privacy Heat Despite Xbox Backtracking"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "Google challenges U.S. gag order in NSA flap"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "ANALYSIS: Why Google can flatly deny knowledge of Prism"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA's Internet Spying May Prompt Belated Lawmaker Backlash"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA Spying Admissions Strengthen Suits, But Hurdles Remain"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Bloomberg's Terminal Snooping May Draw Criminal Charges"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "AP Twitter hack underscores social media pitfalls"
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article, "Obama Puts Cybersecurity On Pedestal With Budget Boost"
- Butzel Long attorneys to discuss significant changes to HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules at March 22 breakfast briefing at Automation Alley in Troy
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in the article, "How to protect your company's data" in the Nashville Business Journal
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast to moderate panel presentation during 12th Annual InsideCounsel SuperConference April 23-24 in Chicago
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast will be a featured speaker during the ICLE’s 24th Annual Business Law Institute May 4-5, 2012 in Grand Rapids
- Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast featured recently during KPMG Detroit Audit Committee Roundtable program
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during Walsh Business Leadership Institute’s fifth annual BusinessLIVE small business conference October 20 in Troy
- January 15, 2020
- April 12, 2018
- February 12, 2018
- July 28, 2017
- July 1, 2017
- June 6, 2017
- May 23, 2017
- January 6, 2017
- January 5, 2017
- October 26, 2016
- September 20, 2016
- August 11, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- April 21, 2016
- April 19, 2016
- March 31, 2016
- July 23, 2015
- March 16, 2015
- Protecting Client Confidences in an Environment of Ubiquitous Media: Rule 3.6 of the ABA Model Rules of Professional ConductFebruary 28, 2015
- February 10, 2015
- June 30, 2014
- October 24, 2013
- October 10, 2013
- Social Media, Privacy, and Technology - Protecting Your Digital Investment & Brand is Critical to your BusinessOctober 3, 2012
- September 30, 2011
- September 30, 2011
- February 2, 2011
- January 19, 2011
- January 18, 2011
- Butzel Long Bloomfield Hills Office
- Ann Arbor, MI
- Sterling Heights, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI