International, federal, state, and local governments subject both businesses and individuals to an array of laws and regulations. Government agencies are increasingly augmenting their civil enforcement efforts with criminal investigations and prosecutions, thereby raising the stakes for all involved parties. This is especially true for individuals, such as corporate officers, directors, managers, and employees, who may face not only high fines and regulatory repercussions, but also incarceration.
Butzel's White Collar Criminal Defense Practice Department has successfully represented corporations and individuals under civil and criminal investigation. We handle all stages of the investigation process, and work with prosecutors and law enforcement officials to secure the best possible outcome for our clients. Clients know they can trust our attorneys—all recognized as experienced trial lawyers—as they have handled hundreds of criminal investigations and complex jury trials and appeals, including a recent victory where we obtained a full acquittal for a client in federal court.
We have vast experience with matters involving antitrust enforcement, bank and thrift institute supervision, Clery Act compliance, copyright and other intellectual property violations, customs fraud, cybercrimes, employment issues, environmental violations, government defense contracts, health care, compliance, health care fraud, insurance compliance, mail fraud, mortgage fraud, securities compliance, securities fraud, tax fraud, and wire fraud.
Our Department has managed federal investigations by the:
- Department of Defense
- Department of Education
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Department of Justice
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Internal Revenue Service
- Postal Service
- Securities and Exchange Commission
We have also represented clients facing the European Union's Commission on Competition and the Japan Fair Trade Commission.
Aside from being reactive, our attorneys help corporate clients develop and strengthen compliance and reporting programs to avoid legal noncompliance. We counsel before regulators and prosecutors become involved. When it comes to addressing other non-criminal legal issues that arise during an investigation, we tap the experience of our colleagues across the firm in the areas of antitrust, bankruptcy, commercial, corporate, employment, environmental, health care, insurance, real estate, taxation, and others, to collaborate with us to handle all issues. Our integrated approach resolves clients' matters promptly, efficiently, and effectively.
Areas of Concentration
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 10.14.2022
- Client Alert, 2.4.2022
News & Events
- TV Appearance, Local 4 News, 9.29.2023
- Firm News, 9.6.2023
- Firm News, 8.23.2023
- TV Appearance, CBS News, 8.15.2023
- Firm News, 7.27.2023
- Firm News, 6.26.2023
- Firm News, 6.21.2023
- Firm News, 1.4.2023
- Firm News, 12.6.2022
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 11.3.2022
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- Firm News, 8.12.2022
- Firm News, 6.21.2022
- Firm News, 3.1.2022
- The Detroit News, 11.25.2019
- CNN, 6.10.2019
- U.S. News & World Report, 11.1.2018
- 12.12.2011Butzel Long attorney Joseph Richotte discusses confidential settlement agreements between local government and online travel companies
- 10.26.2011Butzel Long attorney George B. Donnini discusses federal government's probe into price-fixing in the U.S. auto supply chain
- 10.7.2011Butzel Long attorney David DuMouchel discusses antitrust probes
- 4.13.2011Butzel Long attorney David DuMouchel quoted in Daily Tribune article on proposed resolution to misconduct complaint
- Washington, DC, 9.17.2015
- Represented a major international cement and concrete corporation accused by private litigants of participating in a several hundred million dollar antitrust price-fixing conspiracy.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in Qui Tam case in Boston.
- Completed internal corporate investigation of records and document management corporation and reported findings to SEC.
- Represented an attorney in criminal matter involving kickbacks on vendor contracts being funneled to corporate executive of company
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturers in civil and criminal False Claim Act and qui tam matters.
- Represented a witness involved in stock options back-dating investigation by the United States Attorneys’ Office for the Northern District of California
- Obtained a complete declination of all proceedings, criminal and civil health care fraud, against pharmaceutical client by the US Attorney's Office in Dallas
- Represented a defense contractor accused of fraudulently supplying non-conforming materials to the Department of Defense.
- Represented director of White House Travel Office in defense of criminal indictment in federal district court for the District of Columbia in a jury trial that was successful
- Represented Corporation in federal antitrust civil class action re automotive products
- Represented the CFO of a public company in a significant SEC enforcement action alleging 10b-5 and 17(a) violations in federal court in the Eastern District of Michigan
- Defended international tobacco company in several class actions alleging fraud and product liability claims
- Represented a sales executive accused of helping a Fortune 500 company's employee steal tens of thousands of dollars from the customer-company.
- Routinely represent individuals and companies subject to SEC subpoenas and investigations concerning alleged violations of securities law with respect to a wide variety of financial transactions
- Represented the President of a company that distributes pharmaceuticals to nursing homes in a case the Michigan Attorney General referred to as "the largest criminal Medicaid fraud case ever initiated in Michigan."
- Represented physician in federal indictment for prescription abuse causing death.
- Represented CFO of a non-profit hospital for securities fraud; case settled no jail or fine, SEC restitution
- Represented a major law firm partner in connection with tax shelter investigation conducted by the DOJ Criminal Tax Division
- Represented multiple Japanese Auto Supplier companies in criminal antitrust investigations conducted by the Department of Justice, Antitrust Division (Washington, DC)
- Represented executive of an environmental company charged with criminal violations of the Clean Water Act and related environmental statutes
- Represented a former employee accused of stealing more than $100 million worth of trade secrets from his employers in violation of the federal economic espionage act.
- Represented Company in federal antitrust investigation re transportation industry
- Obtained not guilty verdict at criminal antitrust trial for President of concrete company
- Obtained acquittal of attorney charged with criminal contempt in federal court matter
- Represented multiple employees/ executives/ officers in major US and international antitrust investigations
- Represented auto supplier in major US and foreign antitrust investigation
- Represented a former high-ranking government official in a public-corruption investigation.
- Represented a physician accused of illegally prescribing pain medication to individuals without a medical need.
- SEC Enforcement Action: Corporate Representation Regarding Alleged GAAP Accounting Irregularities
- Internal investigation and report regarding a University's response to campus murder
- Represented auto supplier in securities fraud investigation in New York and California.
- Represented President of Corporation in federal antitrust investigation re compressors
- Successfully represented officer of pharmaceutical company in largest health care fraud trial to date in U.S. District Court in Boston
- Obtained a declination of prosecution for an accounting officer of an international automotive supplier after investigation by the DOJ and the SEC
- Obtained summary judgment in multiple defendant mortgage fraud case alleging RICO and other claims
- Represent client after it was "raided" by US EPA
- Represented a public company in an SEC investigation involving revenue recognition issues which, after significant document production and SEC depositions, culminated in a no action termination letter being issued by the SEC
- Represented multiple Corporations in federal antitrust investigation re highway contracts
- Represented numerous individual and corporate defendants facing federal criminal prosecution arising from allegations of wire and mail fraud, tax fraud, insider trading, healthcare fraud, environmental crimes, theft of trade secrets and drug conspiracy
- Directed internal investigation concerning alleged SEC issues of entertainment distributor
- Represented a major automotive supplier under investigation for allegedly participating in a several hundred million dollar international antitrust price-fixing conspiracy.
- Represented a company in connection with a bribery investigation.
- Represented attorney in federal antitrust.-related investigation
- Represented Assistant United States Attorney in investigation brought by Justice Dept Office of Professional Responsibility
- Obtained complete acquittal of defendant charged in 83 count federal RICO indictment following 3 month jury trial
- Conducted internal investigation and alleged environmental violations by public company.
- Defended a subsidiary of national insurance company against third party and class action claims alleging its participation in securities and common law fraud perpetrated by primary defendant, for which client had brokered insurance
- Obtained acquittal of pharmaceutical company executive in federal trial in Boston following 4 month jury trial