Butzel's white collar criminal defense team represents clients involved in both civil and criminal securities litigation. From search warrants and grand jury investigations on the criminal side to the Wells process on the civil side, our team routinely handles all stages of the investigative proceedings. We interact with federal prosecutors, state prosecutors, SEC civil attorneys, and law enforcement to secure our clients the best possible outcome, which can include decisions not to prosecute or sue. Our team consists of experienced trial attorneys that have handled hundreds of criminal investigations and complex jury trials and appeals.
Our team also draws upon the experience of our colleagues in the taxation, insurance, and contract areas that can help us handle all related legal issues relating to securities litigation. Our integrated approach resolves clients' matters promptly, efficiently, and effectively.
Alerts & Publications
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 7.22.2022
- SEC Enforcement Action: Corporate Representation Regarding Alleged GAAP Accounting Irregularities
- Represented numerous individual and corporate defendants facing federal criminal prosecution arising from allegations of wire and mail fraud, tax fraud, insider trading, healthcare fraud, environmental crimes, theft of trade secrets and drug conspiracy
- Represented the CFO of a public company in a significant SEC enforcement action alleging 10b-5 and 17(a) violations in federal court in the Eastern District of Michigan
- Routinely represent individuals and companies subject to SEC subpoenas and investigations concerning alleged violations of securities law with respect to a wide variety of financial transactions
- Represented CFO of a non-profit hospital for securities fraud; case settled no jail or fine, SEC restitution
- Represented auto supplier in securities fraud investigation in New York and California.
- Represented a witness involved in stock options back-dating investigation by the United States Attorneys’ Office for the Northern District of California
- Obtained a declination of prosecution for an accounting officer of an international automotive supplier after investigation by the DOJ and the SEC
- Represented a public company in an SEC investigation involving revenue recognition issues which, after significant document production and SEC depositions, culminated in a no action termination letter being issued by the SEC