Michael Gutierrez is a Managing Shareholder of Butzel’s Grand Rapids office. Mike represents businesses and individuals in complex litigation matters and internal investigations throughout Michigan and nationally. He is recognized for his expertise in the area of business litigation by several well-respected legal industry publications based on his many accomplishments and lengthy record of achieving positive outcomes on behalf of clients. Mike is a member of the Business Law and Litigation Sections of the State Bar of Michigan.
In addition to representing businesses and individuals in complex litigation matters, Mike also represents witnesses, businesses, and company executives in connection with internal investigations, as well as criminal, civil, and regulatory proceedings arising out of allegations of fraud and violations of state and federal law and regulations.
The depth of his experience includes practicing in state and federal courts, as well as in private arbitrations, not only in business and commercial litigation, but also in matters relevant to the automotive sector, and pertinent to supply chain management, civil defense and investigation, and white collar criminal defense.
Mike received his B.A., magna cum laude, from North Park University, and his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Illinois College of Law, where he served as an Associate Editor of the University of Illinois Law Review.
- Companies and their officers, directors, and employees facing allegations of violations of state and federal statutes and regulations, as well as internal investigations and compliance-related matters.
- Manufacturers in supply chain litigation involving stop-shipment situations, requests for injunctive relief, volume and pricing disputes, and related “terms and conditions” negotiations and litigation.
- Business owners and officers in litigation arising out of equity interest valuation and corporate governance disputes, including claims of shareholder and member oppression, breaches of fiduciary duties, and errors and omissions of company officers and directors.
- Employers and employees in litigation arising out of contractual and fiduciary duties, including covenants not to compete, covenants not to solicit, non-disclosure agreements, and claims of trade secret misappropriation.
Primary Practice Areas
All Related Practice Areas
- Automotive Industry Team
- Automotive Law
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Business Partnerships, Joint Ventures, and LLCs
- Internal Investigations
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Mediation and Arbitration Specialty Team
- Outside General Counsel Services
- Supply Chain Management
- White Collar Crime, Civil Defense, and Investigation
- White Collar Criminal Defense
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
North Park University, B.A., magna cum laude
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Crain’s Grand Rapids Business Journal, Notable West Michigan Lawyers
Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Michigan Go To Lawyers (Business Litigation)
Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (Business Litigation)
Eagle Scout, National Eagle Scout Association
- As lead counsel, obtained complete dismissal of all claims in multi-jurisdiction litigation against receiver seeking over $11 Million for alleged gross negligence and conversion of receivership assets.
- As lead counsel, obtained complete dismissal of all claims against real estate development company seeking damages and injunction to reinstate LIHTC restrictions on 126-unit apartment complex.
- As co-lead counsel, obtained complete dismissal of all claims against healthcare system brought by Qui Tam Relator under the federal False Claims Act and Michigan Medicaid False Claims Act.
- As lead appellate counsel, successfully represented former Van Buren County Prosecutor in defamation action, obtaining reversal of trial court decision in published opinion of the Michigan Court of Appeals.
- As lead counsel, successfully prosecuted and defended numerous emergency actions, including requests for injunctive relief, temporary restraining orders, and pre-judgment possession of collateral, in litigation arising out of manufacturing, supply chain, contract, employment, and intellectual property disputes.
- As co-counsel in Michigan District, Circuit, and Appellate Courts, obtained complete dismissal of all criminal charges against former President of Michigan State University.
- As lead counsel, represented employer in numerous consolidated lawsuits against employees and third parties arising out of conspiracy to defraud and embezzle company property, resulting in recovery of all damages and legal fees by employer.
- As co-lead counsel, represented government contractor in connection with internal investigation arising out of whistleblower allegations of fraud and submission of false claims to government entity.
- As lead counsel in various commercial litigation matters, represented businesses, officers, and employees in litigation and arbitration arising out of disputes over corporate governance, oppression, fraud, embezzlement, restrictive covenants, breaches of fiduciary duties, breaches of contract, and insurance coverage.
News & Events
- Firm News, 3.31.2023
- Firm News, 2.21.2023
- Firm News, 1.3.2023