Non Profit Organizations
Butzel Long has strong experience with nonprofit organizations of all types, particularly with large and complex nonprofits with sophisticated business needs. Our clients include a wide variety of nonprofits such as business leagues and trade associations, hospitals and other healthcare organizations, elementary and secondary schools, colleges and universities, religious organizations, and community and social service organizations. We regularly work with nonprofits to comply with federal and state law requirements, preserve their tax-exempt status, and undertake a wide variety of business transactions.
Once a nonprofit organization is established, our team can assist with governance issues, board recruitment, and other strategic issues. We also advise on director and volunteer liability and indemnification, executive compensation; unrelated business income taxes; engaging in international activities and transactions; real estate transactions; fiscal sponsorship and affiliation agreements; nonprofit and for-profit subsidiaries; lobbying and advocacy issues; and many other complex transactions and activities. With offices in Lansing and Washington, D.C., we are also able to assist charities and other nonprofit organizations navigate regulatory issues and manage relationships with government officials and candidates for political office.
Our team can explain the legal implications of various fundraising practices, prospect research, solicitation, and volunteer recruitment. We can create planned giving programs, donor agreements, donor-advised funds, and help nonprofits with risk and crisis management programs.
Our nonprofit organizations' practice consults on IRS audits and appeals, obtains tax rulings, represents organizations in federal and state tax litigation, and obtains exemptions for state and local property taxes, sales tax, and federal unemployment tax.
Butzel Long attorneys are dedicated to service to our communities and serve on many nonprofit boards. From their experience working directly with the organizations that assist their communities, Butzel Long attorneys have developed an intimate understanding of both the practical and legal issues nonprofit organizations face, and how to deliver legal services to those organizations both effectively and efficiently.
Our nonprofit organization attorneys regularly present continuing education programs for attorneys, accountants, and other professionals who serve nonprofit organizations, and also speak directly at client and nonprofit association conferences. Butzel Long attorneys have served on the state bar nonprofit corporations committee and worked on drafting legislative changes and testifying before the Michigan legislature on revisions to nonprofit corporation law.
- November 11, 2020
- October 21, 2020
- July 16, 2020
- DBusiness Daily News discusses Butzel Long’s donation to the Salvation Army in a round-up of news in the COVID-19 UpdateJuly 1, 2020
- Butzel Long donation to Salvation Army will provide more than 2,300 meals to Metro Detroiters in needJune 25, 2020
- Butzel Long Featured in Michigan Lawyers Weekly article, "Firm’s charitable trust donates 15,000 meals to neighbors in need"Michigan Lawyers Weekly, May 29, 2020
- May 13, 2020
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, May 10, 2019
- Butzel Long participates in a National Day of Service by providing pro bono legal services to nonprofit organizationsJanuary 30, 2019
- Butzel Long attorney Mark R. Lezotte, lauded for 15-year volunteer service on United Cerebral Palsy National Board of TrusteesNovember 9, 2016
- June 9, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney Susan Patton invited to join Michigan Health & Hospital Association's Business Advisory CouncilOctober 26, 2009
- October 22, 2008
- Senior Attorney
- August 20, 2020
- It's Election Season Again; Time to Revisit the Rules on Tax-Exempt Organizations Participating in Public Policy and Political ActivitiesJuly 22, 2020
- October 15, 2018
- December 20, 2017
- It’s Election Season Again (Not That You Could Avoid it!). Some Do’s and Don’ts for Exempt Organizations Participating in Public Policy and Political ActivitiesJune 16, 2016
- It’s Election Season Again (Not That You Could Avoid it!) and Time to Revisit the Rules on Tax-Exempt Organizations Participating in Public Policy and Political ActivitiesMay 6, 2016
- September 11, 2014
- Simple Rules to Guide Tax-Exempt Organizations to Participate in Public Debate and Political ActivitiesMarch 20, 2014
- January 27, 2014
- December 9, 2013