Mark W. Jane is a Senior Attorney based in Butzel Long’s Ann Arbor office. Mr. Jane practices in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation, with a focus on complex issues arising from the sponsorship of group health and welfare plans.
Mark has worked with employers of all shapes and sizes, providing incisive counsel regarding the tax and employment implications on the design and ongoing maintenance of a wide array of employee benefit plans, primarily comprehensive health and welfare plans, cafeteria plans, 401(k) plans, and profit-sharing plans. He has experience representing clients with respect to their benefit plans before various governmental agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
Mr. Jane has represented employers and administrators regarding their benefit plans across a broad spectrum of industries, including automotive, retail, manufacturing, health care, municipal, tribal, and non-profit. He assists such clients with a multitude of general employee benefits matters, including:
- Drafting and reviewing required plan documents, notices, and summaries;
- Providing consultation regarding fiduciary duties inherent in managing ERISA-governed plans or plans subject to state fiduciary or third-party administration law;
- Walking welfare plan administrators through various HIPAA portability, COBRA, and ACA dilemmas in order to find workable solutions, for example:
- HIPAA portability: preparing special enrollment notices and instructing plan administrators on rules for proper notice distribution;
- COBRA: consulting with small businesses over group health plan continuation coverage responsibilities and potential exemptions; and
- ACA: advising large employers on proper methods of counting full-time employees to assess employer shared responsibility compliance;
- Correcting plan errors for tax and fiduciary compliance; and
- Analyzing and negotiating service provider contracts.
Mr. Jane has held numerous leadership roles in several bar associations. Mark previously served as President of the Washtenaw County Bar Association in 2019-2020. His other roles with the WCBA have included serving as a two-term Co-Chair of the Judiciary Committee, as a Co-Chair of the Community Liaison Committee, and as a Co-Chair of the New Lawyers Section. Mark also served as the Chair of the State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section in 2015-2016, and currently serves as a representative of Washtenaw County (22nd Circuit) on the State Bar of Michigan Representative Assembly (where he also chairs the Nominating and Awards Committee).
Mark attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree with high distinction. He also attended Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where he received a Juris Doctor, cum laude. Mr. Jane has been named an “Associate to Watch” by Chambers USA from 2016-2021 and as one of the DBusiness Top Lawyers in Michigan for 2011, 2019-2022.
Primary Practice Areas
University of Michigan, B.A.
Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, J.D.
- Washtenaw County Bar Association – Board of Directors
- State Bar of Michigan - Representative Assembly
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star - Employee Benefits, 2009-2013, 2015-2020
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Associate to Watch, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation 2016-2021
New Lawyers Section of the Washtenaw County Bar Association 2010 Outstanding Young Lawyer Award.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Employee Benefits Law, 2011, 2019-2022
News & Events
- Michigan Lawyer's Weekly, 4.19.2019
- DBusiness Magazine, 11.26.2018
- Virtual, 11.17.2021
- Detroit, MI, 11.29.2018
- Detroit, MI, 10.28.2016
Alerts & Publications