Daniel R.W. Rustmann
Daniel R.W. Rustmann is a shareholder in Butzel Long's Detroit office. He is a graduate of Valparaiso University (BA, 1986) and Valparaiso University School of Law (JD, 1989, with distinction). He was clerk for the Hon. James Moody, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, an editor of the Valparaiso University Law Review, and attended the Institute for Alternative Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law.
Mr. Rustmann's practice has been devoted principally to litigation. He has handled cases in numerous substantive areas, including product liability defense, UCC warranty and product defect/recall litigation, sales representative and non-compete disputes, transportation litigation, shareholder litigation, and insurance coverage disputes. Over the last decade, Mr. Rustmann has represented numerous tier 1 and tier 2 automotive suppliers in various matters, including in termination, supply, tooling, warranty, recall, insurance coverage, and cost recovery disputes and in negotiating and drafting supply and other contracts and terms and conditions. He serves as Co-Chair of Butzel Long's Global Automotive Industry Group, is a frequent speaker on legal topics pertinent to the automotive industry, and serves as an arbitrator in resolution of automotive industry disputes.
Mr. Rustmann is admitted to practice in the State of Michigan, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Michigan and the Northern District of Indiana, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. He also has been admitted in specific cases in numerous other jurisdictions across the country, including in California, Texas, Wisconsin, Delaware, Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York. He is a member of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association (Foundation Fellow), the Michigan Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.
Mr. Rustmann is a member of the Board of Stewardship and Finance of First English Evangelical Lutheran Church and is president of the Board of Living Water Ministries, which owns and operates a Lutheran summer camp and engages in other youth activities in Michigan. He is past president of the Detroit Lutheran Schools Association and was a board member and founder of Great Lakes Adaptive Sailing. Mr. Rustmann lives in Grosse Pointe with his teenage son and has twin daughters attending Michigan State University.
- Supply Chain Management
- Product Liability/Recall & Warranty
- Product Liability Litigation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Connected Car and Autonomous Vehicles
- Automotive Law
- Insurance Coverage Specialty Team
- Automotive OEM Terms & Conditions
- China International Team
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Automotive Industry Team
- Insurance Coverage
- Valparaiso University Undergraduate 1986, B.A.
- Valparaiso University School of Law Law School 1989, J.D.
Martindale-Hubbell: AV Preeminent
Recipient of the 2009 Lutheran Attorneys In Witness (LAW) Award
Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2015-2016
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Michigan Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
American Bar Association
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorney named a Fellow of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association Foundation
- Butzel Long attorney will share best practices in pricing negotiations and more during October 3 OESA and IRN, Inc. program
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2013
- 68 Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2012
- Sixty-four Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2011
- Butzel Long law firm collaborates with Original Equipment Suppliers Association on 2009 OESA Comparative Analysis
- Butzel Long attorney Daniel R. W. Rustmann to receive the 2009 LAW Award on May 3 for providing positive leadership
- Hanjin Bankruptcy in South Korea Snarls Shipping Lines - But Butzel Long Can Help
- Connecting the Car: Managing the Risks of Cybersecurity and Privacy
- Administration's GROW AMERICA Proposal Reveals Expansion of NHTSA Powers
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Continues to Fight "Hidden Fees" Suits Despite Major Loss in Court of Appeals
- Supplier Alert: Chrysler Updates Its Terms And Conditions
- Supplier Alert: BMW Updates Its Terms and Conditions
- Automotive - In Response To Supplier Concerns, GM Announces Revisions To Its 2013 Terms and Conditions
- Automotive - GM Issues New Terms and Conditions - What Has Changed?
- Automotive - Supplier’s Revenge: Court of Appeals Confirms that When a Supplier has the Right to Terminate, the Law does not Protect the Buyer from Supplier’s Rightful Cutoff Threats
- Automation Alley Newsletter - The Securities and Exchange Commission Finalizes Conflict Mineral Rules - The Reporting Countdown Begins
- Automotive - The Securities and Exchange Commission Finalizes Conflict Mineral Rules - The Reporting Countdown Begins
- Automation Alley Newsletter - Dealing with the Aftershocks of the Disaster in Japan
- Client Alert: Manufacturing/Automotive/Advisory - Dealing with Aftershocks of the Disaster in Japan