Butzel's product liability team takes an aggressive approach to all product liability litigation. We act as national and regional counsel for both small and large businesses in mass tort, products liability, Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), and warranty and recall actions throughout the country. We have extensive experience defending companies in a variety of products, including automotive consumer products, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, building products, and asbestos.
We work closely and directly with each client to develop the most appropriate defense strategy for their case. We match a lead attorney with a client the lead attorney consults with the client to define the scope of the matter, identifies goals and requirements, organizes the client team, and establishes operating procedures that accommodate the clients desires. Our approach allows us to attain high levels of cost-efficiency and productivity.
Our team masters the technical aspects of each product in question and works closely with client personnel and independent engineers to develop a defense. We develop substantive familiarity with the design, engineering, and scientific principles involved, and we also work with many expert witnesses who routinely testify in product liability matters.
Our representative clients include Allied Signal Inc., Black and Decker Bridgestone/Firestone Inc., Continental Teves Inc., Continental Tire North America Inc., Detroit Diesel Corporation, Dow Chemical, EaglePicher Corporation, Firestone Tire and Rubber Company, Fleetwood Enterprises Inc., General Dynamics Land Systems Inc., General Electric Corporation, Harris Corporation, International Paper Company, Kelsey-Hayes Company, Okonite Corporation, Paccar Inc., Puritan-Bennett Corporation, Rollins Inc., the Stanley Works, the Stroh Brewery Company, Sunrise Medical Inc., Taddale Limited, Takata Inc., Teledyne Technologies Inc., Tishken Products Company Inc., TRW Automotive Inc., Uniroyal Inc., Uniroyal-Goodrich Tire Company and Visteon Corporation.
Alerts & Publications
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 11.3.2022
- Firm News, 7.22.2022
- Firm News, 3.21.2022
- Obtained dismissal by summary disposition and summary judgment of asbestos claims
- Successfully represented a plaintiff in a products liability matter against a large medical device manufacturer alleging breach of warranty, gross negligence and negligent misrepresentation claims arising from a defective knee implant
- Regional counsel for tire manufacturer
- Successful representation of pharmaceutical company in prosecuting claims against contract manufacturer relating to conduct that caused product recall
- Tire Company Litigation
- Defended international manufacturer of lighting equipment in asbestos litigation alleging product liability and wrongful death based on asbestos content of theatre lighting equipment.
- Represented German manufacturer of industrial conveyor belts in personal injury case in the U.S. District Court, N.D. Ohio.
- Represented national tire manufacturing company in product liability litigation in several states
- Defended international tobacco company in several class actions alleging fraud and product liability claims
- Obtained a summary disposition for a tire failure case