Butzel's labor and employment team represent employers in federal and state courts and administrative agencies at all levels. We handle all types of employment-related claims and litigation, including involvement in class action disputes.
Our attorneys possess a wide range of litigation experience. We represent clients in statutory claims, including those brought under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Title VII, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the state law counterparts involving allegations of age, race, sex, religion, disability, national origin, height, weight, marital or familial status, veteran status, family and medical leave, and other protected classifications. We also defend clients in matters relating to employment torts, such as whistleblower, invasion of privacy, negligent hiring, supervision, and wrongful discharge.
Our team also has substantial experience litigating federal and state claims based on public policy, contract, covenants of good faith and fair dealing, intentional infliction of emotional distress, fraud and defamation, non-competition agreements, nondisclosure agreements, trade secrets, Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and MIOSHA violations, wage claims, and ERISA claims.
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 7.12.2023
News & Events
- Firm News, 3.8.2022
- 9.19.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in article on implications of Chicago teachers' strike on rest of the country
- 9.19.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in article on the impact of teacher unions
- 9.18.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. discusses Chicago teachers strike in Christian Science Monitor
- 9.12.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. discusses Chicago teachers strike in Law 360 article
- 9.11.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in article on Chicago teacher strike
- 7.25.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in Law 360 article on union-relations privilege
- 7.18.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in article on the 9th Circuit’s rejection of consumer class action against Kellogg Co. in part because of excessive attorneys’ fees
- 5.7.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in MSNBC article on Yahoo CEO resume issue
- 2.25.2012Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in HR Compliance Law Bulletin article on moonlighting and employers' rights
- Virtual, 10.29.2020
- Represented a national parking facility operator in case brought by two individuals alleging overtime and discrimination claims on the basis of national origin and sex and sexual harassment
- Represented national parking facility operator in class and collective action for overtime and discrimination on basis of national origin. Achieved narrowing of class to one shift at one garage on overtime issues and dropping of the discrimination class.
- Defend corporation in employment discrimination action
- Sex discrimination; no cause in state court jury trial
- In case of first impression, obtained summary judgment in favor of cargo airline carrier of claim for retaliatory discharge in violation of the Railway Labor Act, based on statute of limitations.
- As lead counsel in labor, employment discrimination, public contract law, education law cases
- Obtained summary disposition in favor of major University on claims for sexual harassment and breach of employment contract, affirmed, Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented national service provider in overturning trial judgment for plaintiff in claim for race discrimination - failure to promote before Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Defended corporation in employment whistleblower action
- Trial verdict in favor of major University on claim alleging wrongful discharge/breach of employment contract.
- Obtained summary disposition in favor of national media client on claims for gender discrimination, retaliation and violation of Sales Representative Commission Act.
- Obtained favorable case evaluation settlement on behalf automotive supplier in employment whistleblower action.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of retailer clothing chain in employment wrongful discrimination action.
- Defended corporation in employment whistleblower action
- Obtained a no cause jury verdict for a McDonald's franchisee in a religious discrimination case.
- Obtained summary disposition in favor of national retailer on claims for race discrimination, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence.
- Jury trial verdict in favor of major University in gender discrimination case. Affirmed by Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Breach of employment contract; no cause in Federal Court jury trial
- Obtained summary disposition in favor of major University on claims for gender discrimination and retaliation.
- Successful defense of numerous cases asserting discrimination based on gender, age and disability
- Represented a community based health center in successful defense of charges by former personnel director of discrimination against employees based on age and retaliation against him personally
- Race discrimination; summary judgment in promotion case
- Complex employment litigation arising under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- A summary disposition was affirmed in an age discrimination and retaliation case
- Represented an individual defendant in second case against him and employer alleging sex discrimination, harassment and retaliation
- Defended EEOC charges across the country for one of the world's largest business outsourcing companies.
- Defended and won summary judgment in favor of a national insurance company, dismissing claims of breach of contract and wrongful termination brought up by former employee.
- Race discrimination; dismissal in Federal Court bench trial
- Obtained directed verdict at trial on behalf of defended corporation in employment whistleblower action.
- Represented an individual defendant in case alleging sex discrimination, harassment and retaliation. Companion case to action brought by EEOC against employer
- Represented defense industry company in alleged employment discrimination