Rebecca S. Davies is a Shareholder based in Butzel's Troy office. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan at Dearborn and her juris doctorate, magna cum laude, from the Detroit College of Law in 1995. She also completed the masters program at Wayne State University Law School by obtaining a L.L.M., with a GPA of 3.79, in Labor and Employment Law.
Ms. Davies concentrates her practice primarily in the areas of employment law and commercial litigation. She represents employers in federal and state court litigation and before state and federal administrative agencies.
Ms. Davies has represented employers in both the private and public sectors for almost twenty years. She has represented companies with 2 to 20,000 employees. In the public sector, Ms. Davies has represented numerous municipalities, libraries, counties and government authorities.
Ms. Davies has had repeated success both in and out of the court room. In federal court, she has received no cause verdicts in the defense of employment and commercial jury trials. In state court, she has obtained numerous dismissals and favorable settlements in a wide range of employment disputes, including harassment, wrongful termination, employment discrimination and wage claims. She also has repeatedly obtained dismissals of charges before federal and state administrative agencies. Her greatest successes, however, may be her efforts to prevent litigation. She has regularly counseled employers regarding compliance under federal and state employment laws (including FLSA, FMLA, ADA and Title VII), drafted employment policies, and advised on preventative strategies.
Ms. Davies is a frequent author and lecturer, not only for client in-house trainings and publications, but also outside organizations, such as Walsh College, the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, Automation Alley and American Society of Employers. She is an adjunct faculty member at Walsh College where she teaches the PHR/SPHR certification courses as well as general business law courses. Also at Walsh College, Ms. Davies facilitates monthly affinity groups for human resource professionals at both the Troy and Novi campuses.
Ms. Davies is also active in national and local legal associations and regularly volunteers in her community. She serves on the Board of North American Transportation Employee Relations Association ("NATERA"), is a member of the Wage and Hour Defense Institute of the Litigation Counsel of America, and has previously served as the Chair for the Labor and Employment Section for the Oakland County Bar Association. She was a Girl Scout leader for 6 years and is currently an assistant coach for the middle school fast pitch team and an active school volunteer.
- “Can I Require COVID-19 Vaccines for the Workforce?", American Society of Employers, December 2, 2020
- "The FLSA Overtime Exemption and its Impact on Michigan Business", Michigan Chapter of the National Association of African Americans in Human Resources, June 21, 2019
- "Wage and Hour Update", Detroit Chapter of the American Payroll Association, June 20, 2019
- "Embracing Change: Employment Law Under The Trump Administration", MichBusiness Webinar, April 11, 2018
- "Sexual Harassment in the Workplace - What Can and Cannot be Said From a Legal Standpoint", The Frank Beckmann Show, 760 WJR Detroit, April 20, 2017
- "Overview of the ADA", Interplay of Employee Benefits: ADA, FMLA & Workers' Compensation Seminar, Troy, MI, April 11, 2017
- "The Most Often and Repeated Labor and Employment Mistakes Employers Make", Flint and Genesee County Chamber of Commerce, January 20, 2016
- "Employment Law Update", Native Human Resources Network Meeting, Odawa Casino Hotel, October 7, 2015
- “Employee or Independent Contract? Worker Misclassification Issues”, Michigan Association of CPAs - East Metro Group, Grosse Pointe Yacht Club, September 30, 2015
- Co-Presenter of "Handling Your Toughest Leave Management & Accommodation Challenges under the ADAAA and Pregnancy Discrimination Act", 29th Annual North American Transportation Employee Relations Association Conference, New Orleans, September 20-22, 2015
- "Employment Law Update", Native Human Resources Network Meeting, Soaring Eagle Hotel and Casino, May 7, 2015
- "Hiring and Law 101", A Career and Business Services Learning Networks Joint Meeting, Oakland Community College, March 4, 2014
- American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law: Outreach to Law Students Law School Panel, Organizer and Speaker, October 22, 2013
- "How to Squeeze Every Ounce of Knowledge Out of Your Advisors", Professionals Panel, Entrepreneur - You 2013 Conference, February 2013
- "Wage & Hour Compliance: Avoid Being Named as the Next Defendant", Blue Water Human Resources Association, January 2013
- "Business Law Basics", Walsh Business 360, Walsh Institute, January 2012
- "PHR Exam Preparation", Walsh Institute/Society for Human Resource Management, 2012
Wayne State University Graduate 2010, LL.M.
Detroit College of Law Law School 1995, J.D.
University of Michigan Undergraduate 1991, B.S.A.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association, Sustaining Member - Employment Law Committee, Chair (2009-2010) Employment Law Committee, Vice Chair (2008-2009)
- Walsh College Business Leadership Institute, Affinity Group Leader
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Advisory Council
- Wage and Hour Defense Institute, Member
- Walsh College, Facilitator for Human Resource Professionals Affinity Group
- North American Transportation Employee Relations Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Girl Scout Leader (2005-present)
- Farmington Area Jaycees, Board member and Legal Counsel (1998-2002)
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Corp! Magazine Most Valuable Professional, 2016
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Labor and Employment Law, 2016 & 2022-2023; Litigation - Labor and Employment Law, 2022-2023
- Successfully defended credit union in a wage and hour complaint brought by former employee for unpaid vacation and personal time.
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 10.13.2022
- Crain's Detroit Business, 3.17.2020
- Corp! Magazine, 2.14.2019
- Event, Virtual Webinar, 10.27.2022
- Virtual, 11.17.2021
- Virtual, 10.29.2020
- Detroit, MI, 11.14.2019
- Webinar, 2.5.2019
- Webinar, 2.5.2019
- Detroit, MI, 11.29.2018
- Detroit, MI, 11.16.2017
- Livonia, MI, 8.29.2017
- Detroit, MI, 10.28.2016
- Troy, MI, 6.8.2016
- Dearborn, MI, 11.5.2015
- Bloomfield Hills, MI, 8.12.2015
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 7.14.2022
- Client Alert, 6.21.2022
- Client Alert, 1.18.2022