Jonathan L. Kirkland
Jonathan L. Kirkland is an Associate practicing in Butzel Long’s Bloomfield Hills office. Mr. Kirkland proudly serves, advises, and represents individuals and companies in the areas of Real Estate and Corporate Transactions with a focus on real property acquisition and disposition, general corporate representation, mergers and acquisitions, entity formation, and entity structure.
Prior to joining Butzel Long, Mr. Kirkland was an associate at a prestigious mid-size law firm in Detroit, Michigan where he practiced in the areas of Real Estate, Corporate Transactions, Business Litigation, and Probate Litigation.
Mr. Kirkland was admitted to the State Bar of Michigan in 2015 and is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Mr. Kirkland is a proud alumnus of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law where he earned his Juris Doctor, and Saint Joseph’s College (Indiana) where he earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, cum laude. While in law school, Mr. Kirkland was a member of the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review, served as the Community Service Chair of the Black Law Student’s Association, and was a Dean’s Scholarship recipient 2012-2015. Additionally, Mr. Kirkland participated in the Wolverine Bar Association Judicial Externship and Summer Clerkship Programs where he clerked as a Summer Judicial Intern for the Honorable Mark A. Randon of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. At Saint Joseph’s College, Mr. Kirkland was a four-year member of the Varsity Football Team where he was named to the Great Lakes Valley Conference All-Academic Team 2008-2010.
Mr. Kirkland is a member of the Detroit Bar Association, Wolverine Bar Association, D. Augustus Straker Bar Association, and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
“Individuals Only: Limitations on Personal Residence Exemption Eligibility,” State Bar of Michigan, Real Property Section e-Newsletter, December 2017
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law 2015, J.D.
- Saint Joseph's College 2011, B.A.
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Detroit Bar Association
Wolverine Bar Association
D. Augustus Straker Bar Association
Alpha Phi Alpha, Fraternity, Inc.
- Commercial Lease Obligations During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Understanding Your Rights and Remedies in Light of Government Mandated ClosuresApril 10, 2020
- March 30, 2020
- What To Know: Highlights of the $2 Trillion Federal Coronavirus (COVID-19) Rescue Package (CARES Act) for Small and Mid-Sized BusinessesMarch 28, 2020
- Michigan Small Business Relief Program to Provide Grants & Loans to Michigan Small Businesses Impacted by COVID-19March 23, 2020
- December 2, 2019
- July 19, 2019
- July 3, 2019
- March 6, 2019
- December 19, 2018
- November 5, 2018