Butzel’s Cannabis Law Specialty Team is a cross-disciplinary group of talented lawyers actively engaged to address the myriad of legal and regulatory issues germane to the rapidly expanding cannabis industry in Michigan and across the country. Our Team is positioned at the forefront of this burgeoning multi-billion-dollar industry keeping us well prepared to counsel clients on the interplay of applicable federal, state, and local laws and on licensing and regulatory compliance matters at all levels of government. We are well experienced in providing comprehensive legal advice and practical assistance to clients who are—or desire to engage—in the industry as a grower, processor, provisioning center, caregiver, transporter, lender, investor, or other cannabis-related stakeholder. We are also uniquely positioned to counsel employers on drug testing and medical marijuana in the workplace.
Our Team of qualified and experienced legal professionals offer a wide variety of services:
- Entity Formation and Corporate Structure
- Licensing and Regulation
- Application Assistance
- Commercial Real Estate
- Municipal Approvals
- Government Relations
- Zoning and Land Use
- Banking and Financing
- Dispute Resolution
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
- Intellectual Property
- HIPAA Compliance
- Taxation (Section 280E Impact)
- Environmental Law
- Labor and Employment
- Contract Drafting
Butzel’s Cannabis Law Specialty Team possesses the knowledge and experience to successfully represent clients in cannabis industry-related issues in each specialized area. Our attorneys are dedicated to remaining up to date with the most current legal developments, pending cases, and rulings that define the boundaries of cannabis law in Michigan and beyond.
Members of Butzel’s Cannabis Law Specialty Team have been interviewed by and quoted in several publications pertinent to various aspects of the cannabis industry and maintain active memberships and involvement in several cannabis industry associations:
- National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA)
- International Cannabis Bar Association (INCBA)
- Michigan Cannabis Industry Association (MICIA)
- Multiple entity formation, negotiation and preparation of real estate purchase agreement, negotiation and preparation of outside advisory agreements, and assistance with state licensing application for a client seeking a Class C grower, processor, and provisioning center licenses.
- Counseled client as an investor in a business entity seeking a Class C grower, processor, and provisioning center licenses, including preparation of entity formation documents for the investor group.
- Represent a City of Detroit medical marihuana caregiver center that included an administrative appeal to the Wayne County Circuit Court of an adverse decision of the City Board of Zoning Appeals for a zoning variance to continue operations.
- Represented landlord client in the purchase of real estate zoned for grower, processor, and provisioning center use.
Alerts & Publications
- MiCIA Magazine, 2.28.2020
- Metropolitan Affairs Coalition, 2.25.2020
- Crain's Detroit Business, 5.12.2019
News & Events
- Crain's Detroit Business, 9.29.2019
- MLive, 2.26.2019
- MLive.com, 1.9.2019