Cannabis Law Specialty Team
Butzel Long’s Cannabis Law Specialty Team is a cross-disciplinary group of talented lawyers, actively engaged to address the myriad of legal and regulatory issues germane to the rapidly expanding cannabis industry in Michigan and elsewhere. At the forefront of this burgeoning multi-billion dollar industry, we are well prepared to counsel clients on the interplay of applicable federal, state and local laws and on licensing and regulatory compliance matters at all levels of government. We also are well prepared to provide comprehensive legal advice and practical assistance to clients who are, or desire to engage, in the industry as a grower, processor, provisioning center, caregiver, transporter, lender, investor or other cannabis-related stakeholder. Further, we are uniquely positioned to counsel employers on drug testing and medical marijuana in the workplace.
Our team of qualified professionals offers a wide variety of services including:
- Entity Formation and Corporate Structure
- Licensing and Regulation
- Application Assistance
- Commercial Real Estate
- Municipal Approvals
- Government Relations
- Zoning and Land Use
- Banking and Financing
- Dispute Resolution
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
- Intellectual Property
- HIPAA Compliance
- Taxation (Section 280E Impact)
- Environmental Law
- Labor and Employment
- Contract Drafting
Our attorneys have the knowledge and experience to successfully represent clients with regard to cannabis industry issues in each specialized area. Each attorney remains current with all legal developments and cases that define the boundaries of cannabis law in Michigan and beyond.
Contact a member of Butzel Long’s Cannabis Law Specialty Team today.
Multiple entity formation, negotiation and preparation of real estate purchase agreement, negotiation and preparation of outside advisory agreements and assistance with state licensing application for a client seeking a Class C grower, processor and provisioning center licenses.
Counseled client as an investor in a business entity seeking a Class C grower, processor and provisioning center licenses, including preparation of entity formation documents for the investor group.
Represent a City of Detroit medical marihuana caregiver center that included an administrative appeal to the Wayne County Circuit Court of an adverse decision of the City Board of Zoning Appeals for a zoning variance to continue operations.
Represented landlord client in the purchase of real estate zoned for grower, processor and provisioning center use.
- WDIV, Flashpoint, November 6, 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Michelle Donovan interviewed on The Craig Fahle Show on legalized medical marijuana.October 22, 2018
- October 19, 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Michelle Donovan interviewed on WJR discussing the first Marihuana License in Oakland CountyWJR's Frank Beckmann Show, October 19, 2018
- Of Counsel
- Internal Revenue Service Victorious in Denying Deduction of Business Expenses for Cannabis DispensaryDecember 3, 2018
- November 13, 2018
- Plaintiff’s civil RICO claim goes up in smoke in Colorado grower’s case, but the threat of future lawsuits remainsNovember 9, 2018
- November 7, 2018
- November 5, 2018
- October 18, 2018
- January 12, 2018