Thomas B. Radom is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel's Troy office. He is a graduate of Wayne State University School of Law (J.D., 1974) and Albion College (A.B., 1971).
Mr. Radom has extensive experience in bankruptcy, corporate reorganizations and restructurings, workouts and liquidations, debtor/creditor rights and commercial litigation in federal and state courts. He has represented a variety of clients, including business debtors, bankruptcy trustees, liquidation trustees, official committees of unsecured creditors, secured (institutional and asset-based) and unsecured creditors, landlords, asset buyers and key automotive suppliers as customers or creditors in significant bankruptcy cases of regional and national importance.
Mr. Radom is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Mr. Radom is a member of the American Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, State Bar of Michigan and the Oakland County Bar Association. He has also maintained membership in the American Bankruptcy Institute and Turnaround Management Association. Mr. Radom served as Vice Chair of the Advisory Committee to the Civil Law and Judiciary Subcommittee of the House Civil and Judiciary Committee that provided a report and recommendations on proposed modifications to Michigan's property exemption laws. He has been recognized for his pro bono bankruptcy work by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. Mr. Radom served as Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of City Mission (2005 - 2010), a non-profit organization that tutors and mentors disadvantaged children in the Brightmoor community of Detroit. He is a current member of the President's Club of Oakland University.
Mr. Radom has lectured on bankruptcy issues to various financial, legal and credit groups. He is "AV" rated in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and is listed in the Best Lawyers in America, Michigan Super Lawyers and DBusiness' Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit.
Mr. Radom's publications include:
"Chapter 9 is an Option for Many Municipalities," Michigan Lawyers Weekly, August 16, 2010 (co-author)
"What Does New Emergency Manager Law Mean for Chapter 9 Bankruptcy?," Michigan Lawyers Weekly, August 20, 2012 (co-author)
Mr. Radom's experience includes the following:
- DPH Holdings Corp. f/k/a Delphi Corporation et. al. Lead attorney for Plan Administrator responsible for the supervision and facilitation of all post-confirmation administration matters under Delphi's confirmed chapter 11 plan. Also acted as special commercial counsel for Delphi during its chapter 11 case, including primary responsibility for all of Delphi's financially troubled supplier work.
- Saab Cars North America, Inc. Lead attorney for Saab Cars North America, the U.S.-based distribution, marketing and service subsidiary of Saab Automobile AB, in its chapter 11 case in Delaware. Before the commencement of the bankruptcy case on January 30, 2012, represented Saab Cars in its non-judicial liquidation efforts.
- Collins & Aikman Corporation. Served as co-counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the chapter 11 case of this major automotive supplier in Detroit.
- Ann Arbor Railroad Company. Represented the Trustee of the Ann Arbor Railroad Company in a chapter X reorganization case under the old Bankruptcy Act, including representation of the Trustee before the Special Court (Henry Friendly, Presiding Judge) in the valuation proceedings under the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973.
- North Oakland Medical Center a/k/a Pontiac General Hospital & Medical Center, Inc.; U. S. Truck Company, Inc.; United Trucking Service, Inc.; Walway Co. Represented each of these companies as debtors-in-possession in their respective chapter 11 cases in Detroit that involved, among other things, rejection of collective bargaining agreements.
- Addison Community Hospital Authority. Represented the buyer of the hospital's assets in its chapter 9 case.
Primary Practice Areas
All Related Practice Areas
Albion College 1971, A.B.
Wayne State University Law School 1974, J.D.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- American Bar Association - Business Bankruptcy Committee
- Federal Bar Association - Bankruptcy Committee, Detroit Chapter
- State Bar of Michigan - Creditors' Rights Committee of Business Law Section
- Oakland County Bar Association - Bankruptcy Law Committee
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association - Debtor-Creditor Rights Committee
- Commercial Law League of America - Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2018-2022; Banking and Finance Law, 2021-2023
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights Law, 2011-2014, 2017-2023; Litigation - Banking & Finance, 2022-2023
Michigan Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2010-2019
- Asserted claims on behalf of over 50 suppliers against large automotive debtor
- Represented a financially troubled supplier in negotiating a multi-party accommodation agreement, access and security agreement, together with extensions of each agreement
- Represented a major bank on its behalf and as servicing agent to 5 other banks in a Chapter 11 case
- Represented an automotive supplier against a casting supplier which filed for Chapter 11 relief in a motion to reject the supply contracts with our client and several other key customers
- Represented an automotive parts supplier in a contentious termination of the supply relationship with the supplier based on an accommodation agreement and access and security agreement
- Represented a die casting and machining supplier filing for complex Chapter 11 relief
- Represented a major manufacturer in a 363 sale of substantially all of the operating assets of an automotive parts supplier and debtor in possession of Chapter 11 proceedings
- Represented a full service non-profit community supported hospital as a debtor in possession in Chapter 11 proceedings
- Served as court-appointed Commercial & Litigation Counsel for a major auto supplier; acted as lead attorney in over 115 matters involving financially troubled suppliers against our client
- Represented a foreign bank as a secured party in the Chapter 11 case of an automotive machining parts supplier
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- The Detroit Free Press, 4.9.2020
- The Detroit Free Press, 3.10.2020
- DBusiness Magazine, 11.26.2018
- 7.15.2013Butzel Long attorney Thomas B. Radom quoted in Law360 article titled “Saab’s U.S. Unit Gets Nod For Ch. 11 Liquidation Plan”
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 6.28.2022
- Client Alert, 4.4.2022