Javon David is a Shareholder based in Butzel’s Troy office. She represents clients in the areas of commercial litigation, media and entertainment law, and products liability. She has extensive litigation experience, successfully handling matters from the onset of suit through trial.
As part of her commercial litigation practice, Javon represents business entities in an array of legal issues, including contract disputes, shareholder oppression claims, non-competition and trade secret disputes, real estate, and automotive supplier disputes. She serves on the Business Court and Counsel Committee for the Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA). She also serves on the Board of Directors for the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Association (MDTC) after serving as its Trial Practice Co-Chairperson. Javon is also a member of Leadership Oakland.
In addition, Javon defends media clients in defamation actions and First Amendment cases. She serves as Deputy General Counsel for the Michigan Press Association (MPA), providing clients with prepublication review and newsgathering advice on sunshine and open-government issues. She advises on clearance projects and performs advertising reviews. Javon serves on the litigation, insurance, and advertising/commercial speech committees for the Media Law Resource Center (MLRC).
Javon also defends clients in products liability actions and quality disputes, including toxic tort class actions and automotive liability disputes. She serves on the Board of Governors for the Young Leaders Council, Original Equipment Suppliers Association – Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association (OESA-MEMA).
Prior to joining Butzel, Javon represented corporations and individuals in a wide variety of negligence, general liability, premises liability, and personal injury disputes. This experience gave her the skills needed to successfully litigate complex actions.
Javon earned a Juris Doctor from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, graduating with honors. She was an Editor of Law Review, an Executive Director of Moot Court Board of Advocates, and a faculty research assistant. Javon was inducted into the Order of Barristers National Honor Society for excellence in legal writing and oral advocacy. She received numerous academic awards, including Book Awards for the highest grade in International Law, Worker’s Compensation Law, and Business Franchising Law. She was also a member of the Dean’s Honor Society, and received a Presidential Scholarship for excellence in academia and leadership.
Javon earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, graduating Magna Cum Laude, from the University of Michigan-Dearborn, with concentrations in history, political science, and psychology. She was on the Dean’s List and held board positions in numerous organizations, ultimately earning a Distinguished Student Leader Award, Difference Maker Award, and Student Activist of the Year Award from Amnesty International-USA.
Javon is admitted to practice law in the State of Michigan, the United States District Court-Eastern District of Michigan, the United States District Court-Western District of Michigan, and the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals. Javon is also a certified mediator through the American Bar Association.
Recent Noteworthy Successes:
- Obtained dismissal of a $50 million defamation lawsuit filed against a major national news media network.
- Successfully defended trustee client in highly complex and contentious shareholder dispute involving $13 million in damages arising out of purported shareholder oppression, ultimately obtaining an award of $0 on the $13 million claims and, instead, client receiving payment of $750,000 on its counter-claims.
- Successfully defended franchisor in defense of contentious and complex franchise agreement dispute, ultimately obtaining a $0 award on Plaintiff’s $3 million claim for breach of franchise agreement.
- Obtained directed verdict at trial in a multi-million dollar franchise dispute.
- Obtained dismissal of a multi-million dollar defamation lawsuit filed against a national online news outlet.
- Obtained dismissal of a real property dispute wherein the plaintiff claimed mental incompetence following execution of a quitclaim deed.
- Obtained dismissal of an action pending before the American Arbitration Association in a contract dispute involving alleged defective software services.
- Secured a nominal settlement in a multi-million dollar death case involving alleged negligence on a construction site.
- Obtained a $300,000 judgment in federal court against a franchisee in a highly contested franchise dispute.
- National litigation counsel for franchisor in the massage therapy industry, having recently obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions against former franchisees which prohibited them from (1) using the franchisor’s trademarks and (2) otherwise operating a competing entity/business in the restricted territory.
- National litigation counsel for franchisor in the fitness and stretch training industry, having recently obtained immediate cooperation agreements re: non-compete, confidentiality, and trademark obligations with franchisees.
- Counsel for national manufacturing client, having recently obtained immediate cooperation agreements re: non-compete, confidentiality, and trademark obligations with franchisees.
Javon has received the following recognitions for excellence in the legal field:
- Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch in 2021-2023;
- Oakland County's Elite 40 under 40, Class of 2023;
- Rising Stars in Super Lawyers for 2017-2023;
- Top Women Lawyers in Super Lawyers for 2017-2023; and
- 2023 Influential Women of the Law.
Primary Practice Areas
All Related Practice Areas
- Access, Freedom of Information Act & Open Meetings Act
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Franchise Specialty Team
- Trade Secret & Non-Compete Specialty Team
- Media Law
- Automotive Industry Team
- Content Review and Pre-Publication Vetting
- Media Litigation
- Media, Entertainment, and Digital Content Law Specialty Team
- Mediation and Arbitration Specialty Team
- Automotive Law
- Non-Compete & Trade Secret
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (2013, J.D., with Honors)
University of Michigan – Dearborn (2010, Magna Cum Laude)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- International Amusement and Leisure Defense Association (IALDA)
- International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA)
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Chaldean American Bar Association
- Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America - Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, 2021-2024
Oakland County's Elite 40 under 40 Class of 2023
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2017-2023
Super Lawyers - Top Women Lawyers, 2017-2023
Michigan Lawyers Weekly - Influential Women of the Law, 2023
News & Events
- Firm News, 9.6.2023
- Firm News, 8.23.2023
- Firm News, 8.2.2023
- Firm News, 11.9.2022
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- Firm News, 8.12.2022
- Firm News, 3.8.2022
- Firm News, 1.20.2022
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 7.20.2022
- Client Alert, 6.1.2022
- Client Alert, 5.3.2022
- Client Alert, 4.12.2022
- Client Alert, 4.5.2022
- Client Alert, 4.1.2022