Butzel’s Franchise Specialty Team is comprised of veteran attorneys with nationwide experience in launching, developing, advising, buying, and selling franchises of all sizes and within multiple industries. Our clients include franchisors and franchisees. Members of this Team are highly skilled in navigating state and federal franchise and business opportunity laws, and at resolving disputes that arise between franchisors, franchisees, suppliers, employees, and competitors.
With nearly a million franchised businesses in the United States, franchising is an important driver for our economy and can be an effective method of growing and developing a business. We’re here to help potential new franchisors and franchisees discern whether franchising is the best method or option:
- How does the company protect its brand?
- What will the relationship between the franchisor and franchisee look like?
Even after the franchise structure is established, franchisors and franchisees often face difficulties in complying with nuanced state and federal franchise laws, handling disputes between franchisors, franchisees, suppliers, employees, and competitors, and complying with applicable regulations. We realize that navigating these intricacies, all the while trying to profitably operate a business and beat out the competition, can be daunting.
Butzel’s Franchise Specialty Team provides a one-stop-shop for all franchise issues, including, but not limited to:
- Counseling on whether to use franchising to grow your business
- Drafting, negotiating, and reviewing franchise agreements and other contracts
- Preparing required franchise disclosure documents
- Advising and counseling on compliance with state and federal franchise and business opportunity laws
- Assisting with supplier relationships, technology and communications
- All aspects of litigation and dispute resolution, including a franchisor’s status as a joint employer, the existence of a franchise relationship, enforcement of the franchise agreements and key provisions (e.g., non-competition), intellectual property disputes, termination of franchise agreements, and other common disputes in the franchise arena
- Labor and Employment Relations
- Real Estate
- Environmental Regulations and Compliance
Alerts & Publications
News & Events
- Firm News, 8.2.2023