Javon R. David
Javon David is an associate based in Butzel Long’s Bloomfield Hills office. She dedicates her practice to vigorously defending clients in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Toxic Torts, and Media Law. She has extensive litigation experience, successfully handling matters from the onset of suit through trial. She regularly counsels clients on various aspects of the law and provides compliance training to commercial clients.
As part of her Commercial Litigation practice, Javon represents business entities in an array of legal issues, including contract disputes, shareholder oppression claims, non-competition and trade secret disputes, and automotive supplier disputes. She also defends clients in Toxic Tort class actions. In addition, Javon defends media clients in defamation actions and First Amendment cases. She provides prepublication counseling and newsgathering advice on sunshine and open-government issues. She has also successfully defended defamation claims against corporate entities.
Prior to joining Butzel Long, Javon represented corporations and individuals in a wide variety of negligence, general liability, premises liability, and personal injury disputes. This experience gave her a strong medical background, as well as the skills needed to successfully litigate complex actions.
Javon earned a Juris Doctor from the University Of Detroit Mercy School of Law, graduating with honors. She was an Editor of Law Review, an Executive Director of Moot Court Board of Advocates, and a faculty research assistant. Javon was inducted into the Order of Barristers National Honor Society for excellence in legal writing and oral advocacy. She received numerous academic awards, including Book Awards for the highest grade in International Law, Worker’s Compensation Law, and Business Franchising Law. She was also a member of the Dean’s Honor Society, and received a Presidential Scholarship for excellence in academia and leadership.
Javon earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, graduating Magna Cum Laude, from the University of Michigan-Dearborn, with concentrations in history, political science, and psychology. She was on the Dean’s List and held board positions in numerous organizations, ultimately earning a Distinguished Student Leader Award, Difference Maker Award, and Student Activist of the Year Award from Amnesty International-USA.
Javon has received the following recognitions for excellence in the legal field:
- Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch in 2021;
- Rising Stars in Super Lawyers for 2017-2020; and
- Top Women Lawyers in Super Lawyers for 2017-2020.
Javon is admitted to practice law in the State of Michigan, the United States District Court-Eastern District of Michigan, and the United States District Court-Western District of Michigan. Javon is also a certified mediator through the American Bar Association.
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (2013, J.D., with Honors)
- University of Michigan – Dearborn (Magna Cum Laude)
Best Lawyers in America - Ones to Watch, 2021
Super Lawyers – Rising Star, 2017-2020
Michigan’s Top Women Lawyers, 2017-2019
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
International Amusement and Leisure Defense Association (IALDA)
International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA)
American Bar Association
Oakland County Bar Association
Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Association
Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
Chaldean American Bar Association
Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce
- Can a Majority/Equal Shareholder Be Oppressed? “Yes” According to the Michigan Court of Appeals in Young v VanderMeerMarch 31, 2021
- Protecting Trade Secrets in the Automotive Industry: Federal Court Grants Tesla’s Temporary Restraining Order for Trade Secret TheftFebruary 1, 2021
- Michigan Lawmakers Propose Legislation that May Protect Your Business from Civil Liability Regarding COVID-19 ClaimsSeptember 11, 2020
- July 31, 2020
- Pandemic Poaching Lessons: Tesla v. Rivian - How to Protect Your Company's Top Talent and Most Valuable AssetsJuly 28, 2020
- June 25, 2020
- Now May Be the Time to Run a Trade Secrets Audit: Take advantage of any downtime now to protect your trade secrets laterMay 12, 2020
- April 7, 2020
- Gov. Whitmer Issues Executive Order Relaxing Rules on Pharmacists and Out-of-State Wholesale Distributors Amid Coronavirus PandemicMarch 27, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- Sunshine on a Winter Day: Michigan Supreme Court Hears Oral Argument on Open Government Sunshine LawJanuary 21, 2020