Butzel's government and regulatory law team has a nuanced understanding of administrative and regulatory bodies that helps our clients effectively and efficiently meet key business objectives. We handle matters before all levels of local, state, and federal administrative agencies and courts in a wide range of matters, including antitrust and trade regulation, corporate and securities regulation, education, energy and natural resources, environment, financing, health care fraud defense, health care licensing, immigration, infrastructure construction, insurance, labor and employment, licensing, oil and gas, public utilities, taxation, and telecommunications. Prior experience includes receiving brownfield credit procuring tax abatements securing public grants obtaining, maintaining, and defending liquor licenses negotiating and structuring economic incentives for new investment and advising corporations during government investigations.
Our team closely follows regulatory changes at the local, state, and federal level. We assist clients by negotiating agreements at the administrative level by representing them during hearings, trials, and appeals and by obtaining changes in the law and regulations via legal advocacy, counseling, and drafting proposed legislative and agency rule changes.
By working with other practices at the firm and through our joint venture with Michigan Legislative Consultants, BL Government Affairs (BLGA), we offer a powerful combination of legal, political, and regulatory experience that gives us access to key contacts within the legislative and regulatory arenas. This allows us to meet clients increasing administrative and regulatory challenges in todays business environment.
- ShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderShareholderJump to PageCounselOf Counsel
Areas of Concentration
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 6.28.2022
News & Events
- Firm News, 6.21.2022
- 10.26.2011Butzel Long attorney George B. Donnini discusses federal government's probe into price-fixing in the U.S. auto supply chain
- Successfully concluded a multi-million arbitration for an HMO involving competing claims for damages arising out of alleged mismanagement of the HMO and claims by the manager of a health group
- Represented a physician arrested as a result of an undercover narcotics scheme in a multi-count indictment, which was resolved by a plea to a technical misdemeanor
- Ponzi Schemes: Representation of Broker Dealers/Investment Advisors
- Represented the nation's largest house-call physician group in a multi-state, multi-case Qui Tam action brought by the Department of Justice
- Represented witnesses and targets of federal and state investigations and prosecutions of alleged bid rigging and other price fixing conspiracies in various financial services industries.
- Represented a surgical group in the resolution of a claim brought by the Officer of Inspector General of Health & Human Services and the Department of Justice
- Represented metals trading company in major U.S. Attorney and U.S. Customs investigation
- Health Care Fraud Federal Criminal Trial: Individual Defense
- Representing a pharmacy and its professional staff being investigated by a federal grand jury for prescription fraud
- Represented target of the Department of Justice's and Securities and Exchange Commission's parallel investigation into alleged price fixing and related securities law violations in the municipal bond underwriting industry.
- SEC Enforcement Actions: individual and corporate defendants facing federal criminal prosecution and SEC investigations
- Represented individuals and companies subject to SEC subpoenas and investigations concerning alleged violations of securities laws with respect to a wide variety of financial transactions.
- Represented a potential target of options back-dating investigation by US Attorney's Office and negotiated a non-prosecution agreement for the client as a witness
- Representing a number of nursing homes where the nursing home administrator and/or director of nursing have been alleged to have engaged in patient abuse or neglect
- Prepared an Amicus Curiae Brief to the U.S. supreme court urging the Court to grant states and local government units latitude in the regulation of firearms
- Represented witnesses in a variety of criminal and civil proceedings
- Series of victories achieved in trial and appellate litigation involving the proposed sale of Michigan's Northville Psychiatric Hospital.
- We obtained the Court of Appeals' affirmation of the trial court's dismissal of the challenge to the sale of the state hospital property to our client
- Represented corporations and executives under federal investigation
- Represented a physician and professional corporation in a multi-count felony complaint, which was resolved by dismissing charges against the physician and the PC
- Represented a book publisher and distributor in criminal investigation conducted by US Postal Service
- Represented individuals and companies subject to SEC subpoenas and investigations