Butzel's family law attorneys rank among the leading and most respected practitioners in the field. We are nationally recognized by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers. Highly attentive, sensitive, responsive, creative, and mature, we successfully manage and resolve complex, non-routine divorce and other family law-related matters. We approach each client in a hands-on, highly-customized manner that normally comes only from smaller, boutique law firms but we also offer the vast resources that only a large law firm can provide. This juxtaposition gives clients an advantage in matters that often involve significant assets, contentious legal issues, and considerable emotion. Our multi-disciplinary approach further allows us to advise on other related matters, including business, financial, estate, and tax planning issues.
We counsel in all aspects of family law, including divorce, annulment, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, property division, alimony or spousal support, child support, custody, visitation, paternity, guardianship, and adoption issues. We understand the nuances and intricacies of the most complex marital estates and family dynamics. Our strengths are in technical and specialized areas such as the proper valuation of spousal corporate benefits and deferred compensation.
Areas of Concentration
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 11.3.2022
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- Firm News, 8.12.2022
- U.S. News & World Report, 11.1.2018
- Southfield, MI, 1.12.2017
- Represented owners/partners in closely held businesses seeking sole control of family owned business through the divorce.
- Represented parties seeking change of domicile as part of a job transfer or remarriage.
- Represented a woman in a vegetative state through her Court appointed guardian to obtain a divorce from abusive husband resulting in the existing state of the law on a guardian initiated divorce.
- Represented parties seeking to modify child and/or spousal support.
- Represented parties seeking to change or modify custody and/or parenting time.
- Represented several sports and media professionals in divorce, custody, and paternity related matters
- Represented parties seeking to enforce Judgments and/or Settlement Agreements.
- Drafted numerous Prenuptial Agreements and other forms of contracts between partners in an intimate relationship.
- Represented high level executives in numerous divorces involving dividing interests in closely held stock interests, stock options and other forms of benefits.
- Developed creative estate planning vehicle to divide interest in divorce proceeding to keep family business intact and do succession planing at the same time.
- Represented both husbands and wives in numerous matters involving complex divorce related issues.
- Represented professionals and/or spouses in matters involving high wage earners, spousal support and the tax consequences arising therefrom.