Mark R. Lezotte
Mark is a shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Detroit office. He has substantial experience in corporate, health care, tax, and exempt organization matters, including corporate and nonprofit governance, hospital-physician ventures, regulatory investigations, medical staff governance, and a wide range of business and commercial transactions.
He has conducted presentations on a number of topics involving health law, nonprofit organizations, and tax matters, including: healthcare reform issues; board duties and responsibilities; hospital-physician transactions; electronic discovery; HIPAA and patient privacy provisions; compliance programs; informed consent in patient care and in clinical research; advance directives and healthcare powers of attorney; charitable giving; and tax aspects of business acquisitions and dispositions. He has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), published by Woodward/White, Inc. since 2013; and has been selected to Michigan Super Lawyers, published by Thomson Reuters, each year since 2008.
Mark started his legal career with the firm and then later served as general counsel of Oakwood Healthcare, Inc., a regional nonprofit health care system in Dearborn, Michigan, where he was responsible for all of the system's legal services, supervision of in-house legal staff, and the engagement and oversight of outside counsel on a wide variety of legal matters, including labor and employment, employee benefit plans, litigation, real estate development and zoning, business transactions, information technology, and intellectual property.
Mark has been active in numerous bar and professional organizations. He is a former council member of the State Bar of Michigan Business Law Section and former co-chair of the Nonprofit Corporations Committee, as well as former co- chair of the Health Law Committee of the local Federal Bar chapter.
Mark has served on many civic and community boards, including the National Board of Trustees of United Cerebral Palsy Association, the National Board of Directors of SourceAmerica, and local boards and committees of the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit, the Metropolitan Affairs Coalition, Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service, the Generation of Promise Program at Focus: Hope, and UCP of Metro Detroit.
Mark holds both a J.D. and B.B.A. degree from the University of Michigan. He is admitted to the bars of Michigan, U. S. District Court (Eastern District of Michigan), U. S. Court of Appeals (Sixth Circuit) and U.S. Tax Court.
- “Nonprofit Board Governance”, University of Michigan Ross School of Business conference (November 2015)
- Nonprofit Board Governance”, United Cerebral Palsy national conference (May2015)
- “Nonprofit Organizations”, Business Law boot camp, State Bar of MichiganBusiness Law Section (January 2015 and November 2014)
- “Health Care Reform Issues”, Re:Con Conference, Michigan RehabilitationAssociation (November 2014 and November 2013)
- “New Nonprofits—What You Need To Know”, MPAW Conference (October2014)
- “Legal Structures, Licensing and Regulation, Taxation”, New Detroit, MinoritySmall Business Education Series (April 2016, May 2015, August 2014)
- “Protecting IT at the Places That Protect Our Health” panel, Crain’s DetroitBusiness and Comcast Business, Executive Insights Series (August 2014)
- “Medicaid: Prognosis for Providers”, Crain’s Detroit Business Health Factswebinar (March 2014)
- “Health Care Reform Issues”, AccuMed EMS Leadership Conference(September 2013)
- “Nonprofit Charter School Board Issues” panel, Detroit Regional Chamber Board Fellowship Program (September 2013)
- “Health Care Reform Issues”, Butzel Long Tax and Estate Planning Seminar (June 2013)
- “Health Care Reform Issues”, Crewe Memorial Symposium, Michigan State University Office of Rehabilitation and Disability Studies (May 2013)
- “HIPAA Mega Rule Briefing”, Automation Alley (March 2013)
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.B.A.
Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2013-2018
Michigan Super Lawyers, Health Care Law and Nonprofit Organizations, 2008-2017
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Health Care Law and Nonprofit/Charities Law, 2014-2018
United Cerebral Palsy Association, 2004 National Chairperson's Award
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Tax Court
State Bar of Michigan (Health Care Law, Business Law, and Taxation Sections). Past co-chair, Nonprofit Corporations Committee
American Health Lawyers Association
American Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Metropolitan Affairs Coalition (Detroit, MI), Board of Directors
United Cerebral Palsy Association (Washington, DC), National Board of Trustees, National public policy committee chair
United Cerebral Palsy of Metro Detroit, Board of Directors, past chairperson.
Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service (Lansing, MI), Board of Directors past chairperson
YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit (Detroit, MI), Detroit Leadership Academy Board of Directors, Metropolitan Y Board of Directors 2004-2010
Generation of Promise Program (Detroit, MI), Board of Trustees
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Mark R. Lezotte receives volunteer award from United Cerebral Palsy of Metro Detroit
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2017 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2018
- Thirty health care innovators discuss entrepreneurial opportunities during Butzel Long conference on March 23 in Detroit
- Butzel Long attorney Mark R. Lezotte quoted in Crain's Detroit Business on custom home health care
- Butzel Long receives the Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year Award from the Legal Aid and Defender Association
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Mark R. Lezotte, lauded for 15-year volunteer service on United Cerebral Palsy National Board of Trustees
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2016
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Butzel Long health care attorney Mark R. Lezotte, re-elected to United Cerebral Palsy National Board of Trustees
- Fifty-Five Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Butzel Long health care attorney featured during March 26, 2014 Crain’s Detroit Business webinar
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2014
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2014
- Half-day seminar offers accountants and financial planners important tax law updates
- Butzel Long attorneys to discuss significant changes to HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules at March 22 breakfast briefing at Automation Alley in Troy
- Top Michigan health care attorney returns to Butzel Long
- No Such Thing as Obamacare Any More
- Michigan Gets Aggressive in Its Efforts to Combat Opioid Abuse
- MACRA is coming; MACRA is coming!
- Echo, Echo, Echo...
- Federal Government Extends Moratorium on New HHAs and Ambulance Suppliers
- Cybersecurity: What is it and What to do about it
- ACA Non-Discrimination Protections - Employers: Immediate Action Required by July 18
- ACA Non-Discrimination Protections - Health Care Providers: Immediate Action Required by July 18
- It’s Election Season Again (Not That You Could Avoid it!). Some Do’s and Don’ts for Exempt Organizations Participating in Public Policy and Political Activities
- Patient Portals: Open Doors or Trap Doors?
- It’s Election Season Again (Not That You Could Avoid it!) and Time to Revisit the Rules on Tax-Exempt Organizations Participating in Public Policy and Political Activities
- Hospitals: Increasingly Popular Targets for Ransomware Attacks
- US Supreme Court Invalidates State All-Payer Health Claims Databases
- Paying it Backwards: Medicare and Medicaid Repayments
- CMS Once Again Continues Freeze on New HHA and Ambulance Supplier Enrollments
- OIG Releases 2016 Work Plan
- New Law Implementing ABLE Act in Michigan
- CMS Continues to Extend Freeze on New HHA and Ambulance Supplier Enrollments
- OIG issues Practical Guidance Tool for Health Care Board Oversight
- Medicare Physician Reimbursement Changed by Medicare Access and CHIP Authorization Act
- CMS Continues to Freeze Out Home Health Agencies and Ambulance Suppliers in HEAT Locations with another 6-month Extension of Moratorium on New Enrollment
- FEC Releases New Regulations and Notice of Rulemaking in Response to Supreme Court Decisions
- FEC Commissioners Announce Compromise on Regulations for Corporate Political Expenditures
- Will the Affordable Care Act Survive?
- IRS Releases Simplified Application Form for Exempt Organizations
- Simple Rules to Guide Tax-Exempt Organizations to Participate in Public Debate and Political Activities
- CMS Moratorium Ices Home Health Agencies and Ambulance Companies in HEAT Locations
- IRS Regulations of Political Activities of Tax-Exempt Organizations
- The IRS Publishes Proposed Regulations On Political Activities of 501(c)(4) Organizations
- Health Care - Michigan Senate Passes Medicaid Expansion
- Health Care - HIPAA Mega Rule Action Plan