Angela Emmerling Shapiro
Angela is a litigation shareholder based in Butzel Long's Ann Arbor office. She has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial litigation with a strong focus on electronic discovery (“E-Discovery”). Angela routinely works with clients to navigate complicated E-Discovery issues in the context of litigation and governmental investigations (including DOJ, NHTSA and Congressional investigation) as well as antitrust and other audits. She was named a 2014 & 2017 "Top Lawyer" in the area of Information Management and eDiscovery by DBusiness Magazine.
Angela oversees all stages of the E-Discovery life cycle, including information management, developing and executing preservation plans, working with IT and vendors to identify and collect data, creating efficient review workflows, assessing and utilizing technology assisted review where appropriate, managing contract reviewers, negotiating production protocols and approving final deliverables for production. She has also litigated electronic discovery issues, including spoliation and cost shifting.
Angela serves as the chair of Butzel Long’s Women’s Leadership Committee and also sits on the board of directors for the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel (MDTC). She is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association, the Oakland County Bar Association, and the Federal Bar Association. She is admitted to practice in all Michigan state and federal courts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States of America.
Angela graduated from Michigan State University (1994) and the Michigan State University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1998). She earned numerous honors during her academic career, including the Jurisprudence Achievement Book Awards in Civil Procedure I, Civil Procedure II, Labor Law, and Research Writing and Advocacy. Ms. Shapiro also was the recipient of an Eve August Moot Court Scholarship and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Plaque.
- Technology & E-Discovery
- Technology & E-Discovery Industry Team
- Financial Services & Securities Litigation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Privacy, Data Breach & Data Security
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Social Media, Privacy & Technology Specialty Team
- Womens Leadership Committee
- Technology and E-Discovery Specialty Team
- Michigan State University Undergraduate 1994, B.A.
- Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University Law School 1998, J.D.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Information Management & eDiscovery Law, 2014 & 2017
MDTC Volunteer of the Year, 2013
International Academy of Trial Lawyers Plaque
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
American Bar Association
Oakland County Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Huron Valley Steel in an extremely complex, $500 million CERCLA cost-recovery litigation brought by Plaintiff.
- Successfully defended client in Superfund cost recover suit brought to recover costs in cleaning up PCB and lead contamination estimated to run as high as $300-500 million
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Angela Shapiro featured in Detroit Legal News - Asked and Answered
- Butzel Long attorney Angela Emmerling Shapiro earns E-Discovery certification
- Butzel Long attorney Angela Emmerling Boufford receives Volunteer of the Year Award from Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Roundtable and Networking Gathering on December 11
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2014
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 18
- Butzel Long attorney featured during panel presentation at Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Annual Meeting and Conference June 21-22, 2013
- Butzel Long elects shareholders
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on March 21
- Butzel Long is the Michigan host for the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 25
- Butzel Long senior attorney Angela Emmerling Boufford appointed to the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Board of Directors
- Butzel Long Women’s Leadership Committee participates in Cereal Drive with Gleaners Food Bank and Children’s Hospital of Michigan
- Butzel Long participates in State Bar of Michigan/Paralegal/Legal Assistant Section Annual Day of Education seminar in Grand Rapids