Clara DeMatteis Mager
Clara DeMatteis Mager is a shareholder based in Butzel Long's Detroit office. She is a Vice President of Butzel Long and serves on the firm’s Board of Directors. She is a graduate of Wayne State University (B.S., 1978) and of the Detroit College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1987) where she was a member of Law Review. Ms. Mager focuses her practice on business and family immigration issues including all aspects of the international movement of personnel, inbound and outbound work-authorized nonimmigrant (temporary) and immigrant (permanent) status, immigration consequences of mergers, acquisitions and corporate restructuring, employer sanctions, and immigration law audits (e.g. labor condition applications and I-9). Ms. Mager serves on the Firm's Strategic Planning Committee, is the Chairperson of the Firm's Diversity and Retention Committee, and is a member of the Firm's Global Automotive Industry Group.
Ms. Mager is a frequent speaker on business immigration to professional, educational and business organizations including Wayne State University Law School, International Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, French American Chamber of Commerce, The German American Chamber of Commerce, Japan PAK, and APROMEX. She also provides training sessions to business clients on numerous topics including U.S. nonimmigrant visas, U.S. permanent resident processing and strategy building to streamline the process, Form I-9 completion and compliance training, outbound non-U.S. immigration general strategic planning, and workplace compliance related to immigration.
Ms. Mager has helped organize and has presented at Butzel Long's full-day Immigration Seminar for the past 18 years. She has also participated as a speaker in Butzel Long's Annual Labor and Employment Forum. Ms. Mager has coordinated and presented numerous programs in the last 20 years. The most recent include programs for the Federal Bar Association, Genesee Area Human Resources Association, the French American Chamber of Commerce, Wayne County Family Lawyers, and the Michigan Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Ms. Mager is a member the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), American Bar Association, Federal Bar Association (previous member of the Leadership Council of the Immigration Committee), State Bar of Michigan (Past Chairperson of the International Law Section and previously held positions of Chair-elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Council Member and Chairperson of the Immigration Committee), Women Lawyers Bar Association and Italian American Bar Association (Board Member). She is also active in Lex Mundi's Immigration Group (Regional Chair and former Chairperson), the J.D./L.L.B. Advisory Board, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law/University of Windsor Faculty of Law (Board Member and past Chair), and the Italian American Alliance for Business and Technology (Board Member). Ms. Mager is a graduate of the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce Leadership Detroit XXII Class. She is listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Immigration) and Michigan Super Lawyers (Immigration). Ms. Mager is a Martindale-Hubbell featured AV Peer Review Rated Lawyer.
Ms. Mager is active in the community working on pro bono immigration matters, and assisting the Michigan Chapter of AILA in activities associated with naturalization ceremonies and community based outreach programs.
- China International Team
- Education Industry Team
- Employer Compliance
- Europe International Team
- Green Cards
- India International Team
- International Business
- International Trade and Customs Specialty Team
- Lex Mundi
- Mexico International Team
- Temporary Visas
- Womens Leadership Committee
- Detroit College of Law 1987, J.D.
- Wayne State University 1978, B.S.
The Best Lawyers in America, Immigration Law, 2007-2021
Michigan Super Lawyers, Immigration, 2008, 2014-2017, 2019-2020
Martindale-Hubbell featured AV Peer Review Rated Lawyer
Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce Leadership Detroit XXII Class graduate
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Immigration Law, 2011-2019
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
American Bar Association
Federal Bar Association - previous member of the Leadership Council of the Immigration Committee
State Bar of Michigan - Past Chairperson of the International Law Section previously held positions of Chair-elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Council Member and Chairperson of the Immigration Committee
Women Lawyers Bar Association
Italian American Bar Association - Board Member
Lex Mundi's Immigration Group - Regional Chair Former Chairperson University of Detroit Mercy School of Law/University of Windsor Faculty of Law - J.D./L.L.B. Advisory Board member and past Chair
Italian American Alliance for Business and Technology - Board Member
Cornerstone Schools Association
- Assisted employers in obtaining appropriate nonimmigrant classification (TN, H-1B, H-3, L-1A, L-1B, O-1, E-1/E-2, P) and immigrant classification (EB-1, EB-2, EB-3 and EB-5).
- Represented clients in complex naturalization matters including restoration of U.S. citizenship, appeals for denied naturalization applications, and evaluate strategies for overcoming grounds of ineligibility.
- Obtained removal of conditions on permanent residency
- Obtained permanent resident status pursuant to registry provisions based on residence in U.S. since January 1972
- Obtained re-entry permits to maintain permanent residence status in the United States for individuals transferred abroad
- Assisted family members in obtaining appropriate fianc
- Conducted internal audits of I-9 forms for clients
- Coordinated the establishment of foreign corporate entities and assistance with multi jurisdictional tax issues
- Obtained waivers of inadmissibility including waivers for entry into Canada for individuals who have DUIs/DWIs
- Advised employers regarding maintenance of employer/employee relationship when foreign national is placed offsite
- Represented clients with applications of waiver of inadmissibility due to past legal history or immigration history.
- Conducted in-house training on I-9 form compliance and retention, including electronic completion and storage of I-9 forms
- Provided preventative counseling on Department of Homeland Security and Department of Labor investigations and employer sanctions.
- Represented clients seeking LPR status based on Cuban Adjustment Act
- Analyzed effect of corporate changes, including mergers and acquisitions, on foreign national’s immigration status.
- Preparation of J-1 Exchange Visitor and H-3 Trainee applications and petitions for employees of foreign companies with U.S. facilities
- Represented clients at Port of Entry to process admission to US under NAFTA
- Prepared J-1 waivers of 2 year foreign residency requirement based on no-objection letters, interested government agencies, hardship and other grounds
- Represented employers during investigations conducted by USICE and USDOL regarding employment verification issues
- Conducted in-house training regarding preparing and maintaining H-1B public access files and Labor Certification Applications
- Consulted with clients regarding special permanent resident card interviews
- Represented employers in investigations conducted by the USDOL concerning H-1B Labor Condition Application public access file including benching and wage and hour issues.
- Evaluated retention of dual citizenship for U.S. and other countries such as Germany, Italy, Australia, Canada, etc.
- Analyzed eligibility for naturalization through parents or grandparents and prepare necessary documentation
- Represented employers in USCIS administrative site visit
- Represented clients in obtaining visas at various US Embassies and Consulates abroad
- Obtained re-entry permit to maintain permanent residency for individuals transferred overseas
- Assisted with preservation of residency for naturalization purposes for individuals transferred overseas
- Represented employers during investigations conducted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement or Department of Labor regarding employment verification issues.
- Obtained approval of Immigration Petition for Alien of Extraordinary Ability for various professionals including engineers, scientists, corporate executives, professional athletes, entertainers, coaches, and trainers.
- Managed multi-country projects and obtained work authorizations in multiple jurisdictions for individuals of various nationalities.
- DBusiness Magazine
- Butzel Long attorneys Geaneen Arends and Clara DeMatteis Mager named to Crain’s Detroit Business’ 2017 Notable Women Lawyers in Michigan
- Butzel Long attorney Clara DeMatteis Mager re-elected to the French American Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Butzel Long’s Immigration Department is the only Michigan law firm recognized in Immigration ranking by Chambers USA 2016
- Butzel Long attorney Clara DeMatteis Mager named a “2015 Honoree for Michigan Women in the Law” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Butzel Long attorneys integral in developing business roundtable program during TANA Conference in Detroit
- Butzel Long hosts 27th Annual Labor, Employment, and Immigration Law Forum November 7, 2014 in Dearborn
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel ranked by Chambers USA 2014 in the First Tier in White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations firm's Immigration Practice ranked nationally
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long attorney Clara DeMatteis Mager elected President of the Italian American Bar Association of Michigan
- New immigration rules and additional compliance issues will be discussed during Butzel Long program on July 28
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2010: Forty-nine attorneys recognized in national listing
- Butzel Long attorneys James C. Bruno & Marie Alsace Galindo featured at Int'l Conference of Mexico Automotive Industry July 13-15 in Mexico City
- Butzel Long attorney Clara DeMatteis Mager featured at November 15 Wayne County Family Law Attorney meeting
- October 2, 2020
- September 28, 2020
- Secretary of Homeland Security Extends Restrictions on Travel between the United States and Canada and the United States and MexicoSeptember 23, 2020
- June 23, 2020
- June 10, 2020
- March 17, 2020
- January 23, 2020
- June 28, 2018
- New Information Pertaining to Attorney Representation at the U.S. Land Ports of Entry Along the Land Border Shared with CanadaSeptember 26, 2017
- June 30, 2017
- March 16, 2017
- February 1, 2017
- January 30, 2017
- November 11, 2016
- August 5, 2016
- February 24, 2015
- Immigration - U.S. Customs and Border Protection to Begin Rollout of Automated Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record on April 30, 2013April 30, 2013
- March 15, 2013
- April 22, 2010
- January 6, 2009
- December 16, 2008
- August 14, 2008
- January 25, 2008
- November 30, 2007
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Dearborn, MI