The members of Butzel Long's Technology Practice have the experience and broad knowledge base to handle a wide range of technology issues -- from the unique to the commonplace -- enabling its clients to focus on their core businesses and feel secure about technology-related legal matters.
Our clients include Fortune 500 companies and smaller owner-operated businesses, and count among them an array of technology and non-technology businesses, such as healthcare, manufacturing and educational entities. The members of this group also work closely with Butzel Long lawyers in various other practice areas to ensure a sophisticated breadth of legal analysis.
From data and records management retention to the drafting of IT outsourcing agreements, software and hardware contracts and PCI compliance issues, our attorneys have the industry insight and understanding to address technology matters on every level. We also provide clients with a variety of on-site and off-site support and work with vendors and existing IT professionals to implement comprehensive technology programs that best meet our clients' needs.
- ShareholderShareholderJump to PageDirectorCounsel
Alerts & Publications
News & Events
- 2.20.2014Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA Spying Leaves Law Firms Vulnerable To Litigation"
- 2.18.2014Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Report Of NSA Spying On Mayer Brown Rattles Other Firms"
- 10.15.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Google Tracking Win Exposes Cracks In Stale Privacy Laws
- 8.14.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in POLITICO article titled "The cyberwar against the media"
- 6.20.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "Microsoft May Feel Privacy Heat Despite Xbox Backtracking"
- 6.18.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "Google challenges U.S. gag order in NSA flap"
- 6.12.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA's Internet Spying May Prompt Belated Lawmaker Backlash"
- 6.12.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article titled "NSA Spying Admissions Strengthen Suits, But Hurdles Remain"
- 4.24.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in USA TODAY article titled "AP Twitter hack underscores social media pitfalls"
- 4.10.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in Law360 article, "Obama Puts Cybersecurity On Pedestal With Budget Boost"
- 2.1.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in the article, "How to protect your company's data" in the Nashville Business Journal
- Serves as outside general counsel to two Northern Virginia high technology companies
- Represented a technology and management consultant company that primarily provided services to health care providers
- Represent corporate purchasers of software and technology in performance disputes with vendors.
- Develop E-mail and Internet use, Data Privacy and Social Networking policies for corporations and universities. (See Faurecia, Eastern Michigan University, Ave Maria School of Law)
- Represented several companies in Business Software Alliance audits regarding claims of unlicensed or improperly licensed software use. (See Damian matter)
- Regularly represents large India based IT company in employment disputes including discrimination, overtime claims, breach of contract and breach of confidentiality agreements
- As a result of a technical network mis-configuration of access and permission rights to Protected Health Information (“PHI”), provided legal evaluation of data breach notification responsibilities.
- Retained by corporations and universities to review and/or create data and record retetion policies, and assist with compliance and corporate process. (See Ave Maria School of Law, See Michigan Technical University, RGIS, Inc, City of Taylor, Casio North
- Lead negotiator for information technology outsourcing relationship on behalf of a large hospital system. (See Mount Clemens General Hospital CareTech matter)
- Represented trademark owner (automotive supplier) in domain name dispute; client gained possession of infringing domain name
- Negotiated extensive laboratory information system for major hospital system.
- Led investigation of unauthorized ACH transactions for client, and successfully negotiated a resolution between the ODFI and the Originator.
- Negotiated technology transactions with many providers of technology products and services including Sun, Microsoft, Oracle and others.
- Draft and develop policies and train corporations and university personnel on HIPAA policies and procedures, including the HITECH amendments and compliance procedures for securitizing PHI and the data breach notification requirements.
- Led due diligence and negotiation efforts for the Information Technology aspects of the purchase of a major hospital. (See William Beaumont Hosp - Bon Secours matter)
- Retained by global corporation to work with German counsel and assist in navigating cross-border data issues involving the European Data Privacy Directives and providing solutions for data privacy, access and transfer in U.S. based litigation.
- Represented a software developer with government contracts against former managers in action for injunctive relief for misappropriation of trade secrets and tortuous interference
- Pursuant to break-in of a client’s facilities, provided data breach assessment services and analysis of data loss and legal risk exposure for a national firm that served as a custodian for personally identifiable information.