Across the country, from FEMA hurricane projects to major airport, freeway, water and sewer projects, the members of Butzel Longs Construction practice have been recognized as industry leaders, successfully representing general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors and material suppliers in all aspects of the construction industry. Our deep industry knowledge extends from government relations to project management and whether it's bidding and building a project or understanding the nuances surrounding different types of dirt we pride ourselves on being as capable working on public works projects as we are working with contractors.
Our attorneys are veterans of the profession, with expertise in all phases of the construction process, including development of initial project concepts, land acquisition and permitting, financing, contract negotiation, preparation of bid and contract documents, bid protests, project administration, claims preparation, negotiation, mediation and/or litigation and final project closeout. Furthermore, our experience reaches virtually every type of construction project, including commercial, residential, recreational (stadiums and arenas), educational, health care, retail, heavy construction, infrastructure, historic, manufacturing, hotel, airport, domestic, international, public and private. We serve in many different roles for our clients as industry insiders and problem solvers we understand our clients' businesses and know how to navigate through government and work with industry personnel to get projects completed efficiently and cost effectively. We are general counsel to Michigan's largest industry trade group, Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association, and count a substantial number of its members as clients. We are also active members in several other industry groups such as Associated General Contractors of Michigan and are frequently asked to lecture and present programs to industry professionals and other lawyers. In addition to representing clients, a number of our attorneys serve as arbitrators, mediators and masters in complex construction disputes.
- Successfully represented prime contractor in resolution of warranty disputes and subcontractor disputes on a major freeway reconstruction project for the Indiana Department of Transportation.
- Successfully represented prime contractors and subcontractors in resolution of federal and local false claim act investigations on multiple projects at major airports in Michigan and Tennessee.
- Successfully represented the industry in halting the announced “non-public opening of bid” on a $120M site civil construction project at a major Michigan airport and procuring the re-advertisement of the project providing for full competitive bidding.
- Represented two contractors in connection with multiple local and federal fraud false claims act investigations of construction projects at a major airport
- Successfully represented prime and subcontractor in prosecution of multi-million dollar delay claims on a Michigan Department of Transportation construction project.
- Successfully represented the joint venture prime contractor in the resolution of all claims without litigation on a $120M, four year construction project at a major Michigan airport.
- Obtained a panel Decision of No Cause of Action for our client in a complex construction case involving the construction of a water intake bed on the floor of Lake Michigan
- Successfully represented prime contractor in resolution of multi-million dollar delay claim on Texas Department of Transportation Project.
- Successfully prosecuted administrative appeals to preclude awards to second bidders on three MDOT construction contracts totaling more than $14M.
- Successfully resolved a significant construction defect dispute with the MIchigan Department of Transportation without litigation
- Successfully represented subcontractor in prosecution of Miller Act Payment Bond claim in connection with USAF airfield reconstruction project in Kansas.
- Successfully represented performance bond surety in obtaining a No Cause of Action in a complex case involving the construction of an off shore water intake facility on the bottom of Lake Michigan.
- Successfully represented without litigation the contractor engaged to construct the new "ring road" around the perimeter of a local Michigan airport
- Successfully represented prime contractor and subcontractor in recovering $1.5M claim for extra work on a MDOT bridge reconstruction contract.
- Has successfully represented construction industry trade associations in resolution of matters affecting the transportation infrastructure construction industry in Michigan.
- Successfully represented two contractors defending allegations of fraud in the reporting of DBE participation on a large airport construction project
- Successfully represented joint venture contractor in the negotiated resolution of delay and acceleration claims exceeding $1M primarily arising out of defective design and interference issues on a complex road and sewer reconstruction project.
- Succeeded in an administrative contested claim proceeding before the MIchigan Department of Transportation
- Has successfully represented contractors and subcontractors in numerous delay, acceleration, Differing Site Conditions, extra work, defective and warranty work, and contract interpretation disputes with MDOT in the administrative claims review process.
- Prepared an administrative appeal and concurrently prepared the suit for immediate injuctive relief; our efforts were successful in preventing an award of the $14 million contract to the second bidder
- Has successfully represented infrastructure contractors and subcontractors in connection with private works projects involving delay, interference and extra/changed work disputes and prosecution of construction lien foreclosure claims throughout Michigan.
- Defended home builder in trial of a mold case, with claims for personal injury.
- Represented prevailing contractor in a Conflict Resolution Team proceeding involving significant warranty work claim by MDOT.
- Represented LG Chem in the acquisition of land, obtaining various government grants and tax incentives and the drafting and negotiating of the construction contract for a $303 million advanced lithium ion battery manufacturing facility.
- Successfully represented prime contractor in warranty work dispute on an airport pavement rehabilitation project in Florida.
- Represented the construction manager of a $300 Million sports stadium in the City of Detroit
- U.S. News & World Report, November 1, 2018
- April 26, 2018
- April 6, 2018
- November 1, 2017
- September 5, 2017
- Butzel Long adds attorneys specializing in Commercial/ Construction Litigation, Patent and Intellectual Property LawApril 6, 2017
- Butzel Long attorney James J. Urban named Construction Law Lawyer of the Year – Lansing by Best LawyersSeptember 22, 2016
- Butzel Long attorney is the only Michigan lawyer appointed to American Arbitration Association’s Midwest Construction Master Mediator PanelJune 15, 2015
- February 17, 2015
- September 11, 2014
- November 4, 2013
- November 1, 2013
- November 5, 2012
- Best Lawyers® Names Four Butzel Long Shareholders as 2013 Best Lawyers in America ‘Lawyers of the Year’October 4, 2012
- November 9, 2011
- June 9, 2011
- April 28, 2011
- September 2, 2010
- October 22, 2008
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel