Eric J. Flessland is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel's Detroit office. He received his B.A. with honors from Michigan State University in 1980, and his J.D. (cum laude, 1983) from Wayne State University Law School. Mr. Flessland was named "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation-Construction (2022) and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Construction Law.
Mr. Flessland's practice focuses primarily upon representing heavy construction contractors and their trade associations in the public and private sectors. He has extensive experience representing construction contractor clients on public and private works projects literally from inception through close out. Mr. Flessland's extensive experience extends to insurance and suretyship issues affecting the construction industry, and has drafted a wide range of contract agreements for project owners, contractors, and subcontractors. His representation of firm clients covers a wide range of public and private matters including enforcement of competitive bidding procedures on local- and state-funded public works projects; project level claims analysis, claim preservation and avoidance counseling; complex construction claims litigation; and contract dispute resolution. Mr. Flessland provides legal and legislative consultation on issues affecting the heavy civil construction industry.
Mr. Flessland is a regular lecturer to various contractors associations, and frequently publishes articles in the Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association's trade magazine, Cross Section. Mr. Flessland is a member of the American Bar Association's Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, the State Bar of Michigan's Subcommittee on Construction Liens and Bonds, and a panelist to the American Arbitration Association's National Panel of Construction Arbitrators, and to the AAA's Large, Complex Case Program. He has tried matters in U.S. District Courts in Indiana, Texas, and Michigan; appeared in the Michigan and Indiana Court of Appeals; Michigan Circuit Courts throughout the State; and state trial courts in Indiana and Ohio. Mr. Flessland has experience in arbitrating and mediating construction disputes. Prior to entering private practice in 1984, he was a research clerk to the Michigan Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions, and served as a Research Attorney to the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Primary Practice Areas
Michigan State University 1980, B.A.
Wayne State University Law School 1983, J.D.
- American Bar Association - Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- State Bar of Michigan - Subcommittee on Construction Liens and Bonds
- American Arbitration Association - Panelist - National Panel of Construction Arbitrators Panelist, Large, Complex Case Program
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Construction, 2022
The Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law; Litigation - Construction, 2011-2022
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Construction Law; Litigation - Construction, 2011-2022
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated, 1994-2012
- Represented LG Chem in the acquisition of land, obtaining various government grants and tax incentives and the drafting and negotiating of the construction contract for a $303 million advanced lithium ion battery manufacturing facility.
- Representing MITA as a constituent member of the Michigan Damage Prevention Board, in the ongoing re-write of Michigan's underground utility locating act, commonly known as the MISS DIG Act
News & Events
- DBusiness Magazine, 11.26.2018
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 6.17.2022
- ABC SEMI Member Newsletter, 11.19.2019