Butzel’s bankruptcy and restructuring practice is among the most respected in the area. Members of the group are recognized as leaders in the field. The bankruptcy and restructuring practice strives to provide a proactive, business-oriented approach to finding innovative solutions to complicated problems. Our representations have included virtually every aspect of in-court and out-of-court restructurings, and have involved matters all over the country. Butzel attorneys have helped Chapter 11 debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, lenders, official and unofficial creditors and equity holder committees, receivers and sellers and buyers of assets through the bankruptcy process. Because of our vast experience representing such a broad variety of stakeholders, our attorneys understand the central strategic and tactical issues, opportunities and risks that may be involved in a bankruptcy or restructuring matter.
Butzel attorneys emphasize creative and realistic approaches that are specifically structured to achieve each client’s goals. Butzel’s broad scope of practice assists the bankruptcy and restructuring practice because the members of the group may utilize our capable support staff, as well as attorneys in other practice areas, such as tax, complex commercial litigation, labor and employment, immigration, SEC enforcement, real estate, and intellectual property, to name a few. By working together with the right team, our clients are able to achieve their restructuring goals efficiently and cost-effectively while enjoying the responsive and personal service upon which Butzel prides itself.
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 6.28.2022
- Client Alert, 4.4.2022
News & Events
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 11.3.2022
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- Firm News, 8.12.2022
- The Detroit Free Press, 4.9.2020
- The Detroit Free Press, 3.10.2020
- U.S. News & World Report, 11.1.2018
- 4.2.2013Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman quoted in Bloomberg article titled "Detroit Fire Trucks Dribble Water as Orr Weighs Costs of Safety"
- 4.9.2012Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman comments on the American Airlines bankruptcy
- Engaged by a Major Tier 1 Plan Administrator to oversee the implementation of Delphi corporation's confirmed chapter 11 plan.
- Engaged by a leading insurance company to analyze the direct and indirect impact of the bankruptcies of GM, Chrysler and major Tier 1 and Tier 2 auto suppliers on its insured bond portfolio
- Lead counsel in over 150 litigation actions on behalf of major tier 1 automotive supplier.
- Counsel to numerous clients during the bankruptcy proceedings of Chrysler and General Motors.
- Prosecution of $1.5 billion avoidance action on behalf of official creditors committee in chapter 11 proceedings of major automotive manufacturer
- Engaged by the agent for a lending syndicate which extended more than $50 million in pre-bankruptcy loans to a Tier 2 auto supplier
- Asserted claims on behalf of over 50 suppliers against large automotive debtor