Richard E. Rassel is a Shareholder practicing in Troy. He is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Michigan Law School. He served as an officer in the U.S. Navy and is a Certified Judge Advocate.
Mr. Rassel practices primarily in the area of complex business litigation and as a counselor to clients in the automotive, healthcare, and aerospace industries. He is qualified to practice in numerous State and Federal courts.
During his career, Mr. Rassel's professional skills have earned him membership in the American College of Trial Lawyers where he was a Fellow over several decades, listings in Chambers, The Best Lawyers in America, Michigan Super Lawyers, the Michigan Lawyers Hall of Fame, and is a 2019 recipient of The Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as a Martindale-Hubbell AV preeminent rating.
Mr. Rassel serves as a Trustee of the William Beaumont Health System and as Director and Secretary of the Detroit Legal News Co. He also serves as Vice Chairman of the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce's Foundation Board, Co-Chair of Detroit Drives Degrees, Ambassador of the College of Arts & Sciences at Oakland University, and Board of Advisors of University of Detroit Mercy School of Law. He served as a founding Board member of Lex Mundi.
He has long been active in the Detroit regional non-profit community. He is past Chair of Detroit Public Television where he was honored with the Community Leadership Award, a founding Trustee of the Rosa Parks Scholarship Foundation, past Director of the Michigan Strategic Fund, past Chairman of the Holy Cross Foundation Board, and past Chair of the Community House and recipient of its Community Service Award.
Primary Practice Areas
University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
University of Notre Dame, B.A.
Military Service: Lieutenant United States Navy - 1966 to 1969
- Washington, D.C.
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow (1989-2013)
- Holy Cross Foundation
- Michigan Strategic Fund – past Director
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce - Foundation Board Trustee
- William Beaumont Hospital - Trustee
- Rosa Parks Scholarship Foundation - Former President, Trustee, Honorary Board Member
- Oakland University - Ambassador of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Detroit Public Television - Vice Chairman (Chairman 2009-2011)
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law- Board of Advisors
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 1989-2023
The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation; First Amendment Law, 1989-2017
Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2006-2022
Leading Lawyers, 2021
Michigan Lawyers Hall of Fame Class of 2020
The Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, 2019
Chambers USA, 2006-2010, Litigation, Commercial Litigation
Detroit Regional Chamber's Leadership in Education & Equity Award (2021)
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Alternative Dispute Resolution First Amendment Law Government Relations Law, 2011-2013 Commercial Litigation, 2013, 2017
Community House (Birmingham, Michigan) - Community Service Award Recipient Past President
Detroit Public Television - Robert Porter Leadership Award 2011
- Represented international milling company in multi-year anti-trust case culminating in "no cause" verdict.
- Represented defendant recording artists in multi-million dollar music copyright case resulting in a "no cause" verdict.
News & Events
- Firm News, 3.29.2023
- Firm News, 8.18.2022
- Firm News, 8.12.2022
- 6.18.2010Recipients say Rosa Parks award helps reach career goals
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 8.17.2022