Max J. Newman is a Shareholder based in Butzel Long's Troy office. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School (J.D. with honors, 1994) where twice he was a Campbell Moot Court Semi-finalist. His undergraduate degree is also from the University of Michigan (A.B., 1990 with high honors), where he was a James B. Angell Scholar and took the William Branstrom Freshman Prize.
Mr. Newman concentrates his practice in the representation of debtors, creditors committees, creditors and customers in all aspects of Chapter 11 Reorganizations. He has pursued appeals from Bankruptcy Court to the Sixth Circuit and Federal District Court and has also handled cases in the Michigan Appellate Courts. Mr. Newman has handled bankruptcy matters throughout the country, including New York, Delaware, Texas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, North and South Carolina and Michigan.
Mr. Newman is listed in the Best Lawyers in America and Michigan Super Lawyers. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and is active with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee and Hillel Day School.
Amongst other speaking engagements, Mr. Newman was featured during an April 22, 2010 webinar presented by the Institute of Management & Administration on "How to Spot Bankruptcy Signs in Your Customers & Suppliers: What Every Credit Manager Needs to Know," and spoke about the General Motors and Chrysler Bankruptcy Cases at the Global TrasporTech conference in South Korea in June, 2009.
Mr. Newman has co-authored several articles, including "Advising the Foreign Client on American Insolvency Law," published in the Michigan Bar Journal and "Road to a Chapter 9 Bankruptcy for Financially Distressed Municipalities in Michigan," published in Michigan Lawyer's Weekly.
University of Michigan 1990, A.B.
University of Michigan Law School 1994, J.D.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Israel Public Affairs Committee
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debt Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2016-2022
Michigan Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2007-2021
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights Law, 2011-2013, 2016-2022
University of Michigan Law School - Campbell Moot Court Semi-Finalist (twice)
University of Michigan - James B. Angell Scholar William Branstrom Freshman Prize recipient
- Representation of French company in acquisition of troubled assets of automotive supplier with U.S. and Canadian operations.
- Represented hotel owner to bid in and purchased all hard assets of bankrupt onsite restaurant and obtained a full release from lease
- Asserted claims on behalf of over 50 suppliers against large automotive debtor
- Represented an automotive supplier against a casting supplier which filed for Chapter 11 relief in a motion to reject the supply contracts with our client and several other key customers
News & Events
- DBusiness Magazine, 11.26.2018
- 4.2.2013Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman quoted in Bloomberg article titled "Detroit Fire Trucks Dribble Water as Orr Weighs Costs of Safety"
- 1.28.2013Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman quoted in the article "Stuck in reverse, Detroit edges closer to bankruptcy"
- 10.3.2012Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman quoted in Dallas Business Journal regarding American Airlines contract negotiations with pilots
- 8.9.2012Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman quoted in Law 360 article on Knight Capital
- 7.27.2012Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman quoted in Bloomberg article regarding possible US Airways merger
- 7.16.2012Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman quoted in Law 360 article about Ocala Funding's bankruptcy filing
- 4.9.2012Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman comments on the American Airlines bankruptcy
- 1.23.2012Butzel Long attorney Max J. Newman discusses AMR bankruptcy exit and possible suitors
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 4.4.2022