Paul M. Mersino
Paul M. Mersino is a shareholder in the Detroit office of Butzel Long. He is a member of the firm's Commercial Litigation Practice Group where he represents public and private companies, both as plaintiff's attorney and defendant's attorney, in a number of areas including complex commercial litigation, contract disputes, non-competition and trade secret disputes, automotive supplier disputes, construction litigation, and landlord-tenant disputes. Mr. Mersino also represents and advises a number of Startup companies, assisting them with their legal needs and matching them with potential venture capital funding. Mr. Mersino also handles appeals in the Michigan Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court, and in federal courts across the country. He was named a Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star in Business Litigation every year from 2012 to 2016, was named an "Up & Coming Lawyer of 2016" by Michigan Lawyers Weekly, a Top Lawyer by dBusiness Magazine, and one of Oakland County's Elite 40 under 40.
Mr. Mersino is admitted to the State of Michigan, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals and has been admitted on temporary basis in several state and federal courts across the United States.
Mr. Mersino's publications include Patents, Trolls, and Personal Property: Will eBay Auction Away a Patent Holder's Right to Exclude?, 6 AVE MARIA L. REV. 307 (2007); Five Things Every Startup Needs to Know, Corp Magazine, December 19, 2013; New Law’s Message to Business: Protect Trade Secrets, Crain’s Detroit Business, May 23, 2016; Understanding the New Defend Trade Secrets Act, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2016; and The New Federal Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016: Some Things Old, Some Things New, and How Courts Have Already Begun to Apply It, The Detroit Lawyer, October, 2016. He has presented nationally on the topic of the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016 in Washington, D.C. and internationally on the same subject in Milan, Italy. He has also served as moderator of an expert panel on Startups at the 2015 Detroit Business Symposium and a panelist on how Startups Scale Smart at Startup Week Detroit, 2016.
Mr. Mersino serves on the Board of Directors of the Detroit Bar Association and serves as an advisor to the Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Litigation Advisory Board.
- Ave Maria School of Law 2008, J.D.
- Northwood University Undergraduate 2005, B.A.
2015 Oakland County Executive’s Elite 40 Under 40 Class
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star Business Litigation, 2012-2016
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Litigation-Commercial, Trade Secrets, 2017
Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 2016 Class of Up & Coming Lawyers
dBusiness Magazine, 2017 "Top Lawyer"
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Detroit Bar Association, Board of Directors
Leadership Oakland XXV
State Bar of Michigan
American Bar Association
Delta Mu Delta (Honorary Business Fraternity)
American Inns of Court (Past Member)
Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Litigation Advisory Board
- Have represented clients in state and federal courts throughout the country, including in Michigan, New York, Boston, Washington, D.C., California, Florida, Texas, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, New Jersey, Nebraska, and Oregon
- Obtained a $1.9 Million Case Evaluation Award for client in a Trade Secrets dispute
- Conducted a multi-day trial in a lawsuit against a major utility company and obtained a judgment for contractor client in the full amount requested, plus an award of all attorneys’ fees and costs incurred
- Defended a client in a nearly million dollar trial of a UCC sales dispute that lasted over 7 days from start to finish
- Successfully obtained Temporary Restraining Orders and Preliminary Injunctions in Non-Compete/Trade Secret matters, defended against Non-Compete/Trade Secret claims while avoiding injunctive relief
- Successfully resolved matter for client under AAA Construction Industry Arbitration Rules in Arbitration in Boston, MA.
- Obtained numerous dismissals or grants of Summary Judgment defending clients in Federal RICO claims
- Obtained Summary Judgment on behalf of Defendant in a multi-million dollar lawsuit in Federal Court alleging accountant malpractice. SG Indus., Inc. v. RSM McGladrey, Inc., 2011 WL 6090247 (E.D. Mich. Dec. 7, 2011)
- Obtained early dismissal of a Michigan Consumer’s Protection Act class action claim
- Obtained early dismissal of a Michigan Shopping Reform and Modernization Act class action claim
- Represented auto supplier in tooling dispute and claim and delivery suit, successfully having the tooling returned to the supplier who owned it
- Obtained nearly a million dollar settlement for Subcontractor on a construction dispute
- Negotiated a half-million dollar settlement on a UCC sales dispute
- Successfully obtained dismissals of product liability lawsuits in state and federal court
- Successfully settled a shareholder’s disagreement in which a startup company co-founder asserted claim to shares in the company, ultimately retaining all contested shares for the company
- Obtained Summary Disposition on Foreclosure of Construction Lien claim for client for full amount of the lien, plus interest and attorneys’ fees
- Obtained Summary Disposition from Wayne County Circuit Court on behalf of a corporate client and its owner, dismissing with prejudice a complaint containing highly complex claims of negligence, fraud, misrepresentation, and civil conspiracy
- Successfully settled a dispute in California regarding work-made-for-hire, achieving the return of the company’s intellectual property from a former employee
- Represented landlords and tenants in Landlord-Tenant disputes, obtaining judgments and attorneys’ fees and costs, including negotiating over $500,000 in rent relief for a commercial tenant in a lawsuit stemming from a commercial lease
- Obtained Summary Judgment, settlement, and other resolution for manufacturers in Sales Representative Act matters in federal court
- APPELLATE SUCCESSES
- Received a favorable ruling in a 6th Circuit Court of Appeals published opinion, upholding Summary Judgment granted by the Eastern District of Michigan, dismissing a Federal RICO claim. Brown v. Ajax, et al, 752 F.3d 656 (6th Cir. 2014)
- Filed an amicus brief in the 8th Cir. in the “American Sniper” case, supporting the estate of Chris Kyle in successfully reversing the entire $1.85 million judgment obtained by Jesse Ventura, Ventura v. Kyle, 825 F.3d 876 (8th Cir. 2016)
- Received a favorable ruling from Mich. Court of Appeals affirming lower court’s opinion and upholding client’s Construction Lien Act claim and affirming grant of all attorneys’ fees. Dubuc v Copeland Paving, Inc., 2016 WL 1230860 (Mich. App. Mar 29 2016)
- Received a favorable opinion on appeal to the Michigan Court of Appeals, upholding a high profile property tax appeal. Detroit Lions, Inc. v. City of Dearborn, 302 Mich. App. 676 (2013)
- Successfully appealed matters to the Michigan Court of Appeals, Michigan Supreme Court, 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Mentor, consult, and represent startup companies with their general business and legal matters and assist them in obtaining venture capital funding
- Served on the Board of Directors for a Detroit startup company
- Serve on the Board of Advisors to numerous startup companies
- Serve as an advisor to a Detroit-based Venture Capital group
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Paul M. Mersino named to Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s 2016 Class of “Up & Coming Lawyers”
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Asked and Answered: Paul Mersino on the 'American Sniper' lawsuit
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during Detroit Startup Week panel program
- Butzel Long attorney Paul M. Mersino's guest article appears in Crain's Detroit Business
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorney Paul M. Mersino named to Oakland County Executive’s Elite 40 Under 40 Class of 2015
- Butzel Long Names Two New Shareholders
- Legal tools, tips and advice for growing companies are focus of Butzel Long’s Detroit Business Symposium
- Fifty-Five Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Super Lawyers 2012
- Butzel Long attorney Paul M. Mersino elected to Board of Directors of the Barristers Section of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Butzel Long receives Pro Bono Service Award from Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Butzel Long receives the Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year Award from the Legal Aid and Defender Association, Inc.
- New Federal Trade Secrets Law Offers the Automotive Industry Additional Arsenal to Fight Trade Secret Theft
- Defend Trade Secrets Act Signed Into Law
- House and Senate Pass New Defend Trade Secrets Act; President Obama Set to Sign Into Law
- Now is the Time to Review Michigan Property Tax Assessments to Avoid Excessive Property Tax Payments
- Proposed Michigan Legislation Would Ban Non-Compete Agreements