Angela Emmerling Shapiro
Angela is a litigation shareholder based in Butzel Long's Detroit office. She has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial litigation, with a strong focus on electronic discovery (“E-Discovery”). She is a Certified E-Discovery Specialist, having earned CEDS certification through ACEDS, as well as a Certified Information Privacy Professional, having earned CIPP/US certification through IAPP.
Angela leverages her training and years of experience to efficiently and cost-effectively guide clients through complicated global and domestic E-Discovery requirements in lawsuits, arbitrations, and governmental investigations (including DOJ, NHTSA and Congressional investigations). She oversees all stages of the E-Discovery life cycle, including information management, developing and executing preservation plans, working with the client to identify and collect data, creating efficient review workflows, assessing and utilizing technology assisted review where appropriate, managing contract reviewers, negotiating production protocols, and approving final deliverables for production. She also litigates electronic discovery issues, including spoliation and cost shifting, and negotiates contracts with technology and other vendors.
Angela has been repeatedly recognized by her peers and DBusiness Magazine as a "Top Lawyer" in the areas of Information Management and E-Discovery. In 2018, Crain's Detroit Business included Angela in its inaugural class of “Notable Women in Technology.”
Angela sits on the firm’s Technology and Pro Bono Committees. She is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association, and the Eastern District of Michigan Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. She is admitted to practice in all Michigan state and federal courts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States of America.
Angela graduated from Michigan State University (1994) and the Michigan State University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1998). She earned numerous honors during her academic career and was the recipient of an Eve August Moot Court Scholarship and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Plaque.
- Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University 1998, J.D.
- Michigan State University 1994, B.A.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Information Management & eDiscovery Law, 2014, 2017-2021; Information Technology Law, 2018
MDTC Volunteer of the Year, 2013
International Academy of Trial Lawyers Plaque
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
American Bar Association
Oakland County Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
- Successfully defended client in Superfund cost recover suit brought to recover costs in cleaning up PCB and lead contamination estimated to run as high as $300-500 million
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Huron Valley Steel in an extremely complex, $500 million CERCLA cost-recovery litigation brought by Plaintiff.
- Butzel Long attorney Angela Emmerling Shapiro named a “2020 Honoree for Women in the Law” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Butzel Long attorney Angela Emmerling Shapiro earns prestigious Certified Information Privacy Professional designation
- DBusiness Magazine
- Butzel Long attorney Angela Emmerling Boufford receives Volunteer of the Year Award from Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Roundtable and Networking Gathering on December 11
- Butzel Long attorney featured during panel presentation at Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Annual Meeting and Conference June 21-22, 2013
- Butzel Long is the Michigan host for the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 25
- Butzel Long senior attorney Angela Emmerling Boufford appointed to the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Board of Directors
- Butzel Long Women’s Leadership Committee participates in Cereal Drive with Gleaners Food Bank and Children’s Hospital of Michigan
- Butzel Long participates in State Bar of Michigan/Paralegal/Legal Assistant Section Annual Day of Education seminar in Grand Rapids