Angela Emmerling Shapiro
Angela is a litigation shareholder based in Butzel Long's Detroit office. She has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial litigation with a strong focus on electronic discovery (“E-Discovery”).
Angela routinely works with clients to navigate complicated E-Discovery and privacy law issues during lawsuits and governmental investigations (including DOJ, NHTSA and Congressional investigations). She oversees all stages of the E-Discovery life cycle, including information management, developing and executing preservation plans, working with the client and vendors to identify and collect data, creating efficient review workflows, assessing and utilizing technology assisted review where appropriate, managing contract reviewers, negotiating production protocols and approving final deliverables for production. She has also litigated electronic discovery issues, including spoliation and cost shifting.
Angela earned her CEDS certification (Certified E-Discovery Specialist) through ACEDS in 2015 and has repeatedly been named a "Top Lawyer" in the areas of Information Management, eDiscovery and Information Technology Law by DBusiness Magazine. In 2018, Crain's Detroit Business included Angela in its inaugural class of “Notable Women in Technology.”
Angela serves as the chair of Butzel Long’s Women’s Leadership Committee and also sits on the firm’s Technology Committee, Pro Bono Committee, and Paralegal Committee. She is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association, and the Eastern District of Michigan Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. She is admitted to practice in all Michigan state and federal courts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States of America.
Angela graduated from Michigan State University (1994) and the Michigan State University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1998). She earned numerous honors during her academic career, including the Jurisprudence Achievement Book Awards in Civil Procedure I, Civil Procedure II, Labor Law, and Research Writing and Advocacy. Ms. Shapiro also was the recipient of an Eve August Moot Court Scholarship and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Plaque.
- Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University 1998, J.D.
- Michigan State University 1994, B.A.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Information Management & eDiscovery Law, 2014, 2017-2019; Information Technology Law, 2018
MDTC Volunteer of the Year, 2013
International Academy of Trial Lawyers Plaque
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
American Bar Association
Oakland County Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
- Successfully defended client in Superfund cost recover suit brought to recover costs in cleaning up PCB and lead contamination estimated to run as high as $300-500 million
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Huron Valley Steel in an extremely complex, $500 million CERCLA cost-recovery litigation brought by Plaintiff.
- DBusiness Magazine
- Butzel Long attorney Angela Emmerling Boufford receives Volunteer of the Year Award from Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Roundtable and Networking Gathering on December 11
- Butzel Long attorney featured during panel presentation at Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Annual Meeting and Conference June 21-22, 2013
- Butzel Long is the Michigan host for the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 25
- Butzel Long senior attorney Angela Emmerling Boufford appointed to the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Board of Directors
- Butzel Long Women’s Leadership Committee participates in Cereal Drive with Gleaners Food Bank and Children’s Hospital of Michigan
- Butzel Long participates in State Bar of Michigan/Paralegal/Legal Assistant Section Annual Day of Education seminar in Grand Rapids