Robert P. Perry is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel's Troy office. He has extensive experience in many facets of estate and business succession planning and sophisticated business succession and estate leveraging tools including the preparation and implementation of buy-sell agreements, irrevocable life insurance trusts, charitable remainder and lead trusts, generation-skipping and "dynasty" trusts, personal residence trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, split dollar insurance planning, family limited partnerships and limited liability companies and planning for distributions from qualified plans and individual retirement accounts. Mr. Perry has also obtained substantial experience in miscellaneous probate and trust issuance, tax compliance and estate tax audit and internal revenue service litigation matters.
Mr. Perry is a frequent lecturer on various estate planning topics, including estate planning for qualified plan assets and individual retirement accounts and using charitable planning techniques for qualified plan assets. Mr. Perry has also published articles on estate planning and tax topics.
Primary Practice Areas
Wayne State University Law School 1997, LL.M. Taxation
University of Michigan 1985, B.A.
University of Michigan Law School 1988, J.D.
- State Bar of Michigan - Probate and Estate Planning Section
- Oakland County Financial and Estate Planning Council
- Oakland County Bar Association - Probate Estate and Trust Committee
- Collier County Bar Association - Trust and Estate Section
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 2018-2022, 2024
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Tax Law, 2016 Trusts and Estates, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2020-2023
Michigan Super Lawyers, Estate & Probate, 2023
- Actively involved in the administration of one of the largest estates in Michigan.
- Handled the administration of several estates in excess of $100 million.
- Created numerous private charitable foundations.
- Provided estate and succession planning services for some of the wealthiest individuals in Michigan.
- Provided complex Estate Planning services for numerous Senior Executive level individuals from major automotive manufacturers.
News & Events
- Firm News, 9.6.2023
- Firm News, 8.23.2023
- Firm News, 11.15.2022
- Firm News, 8.18.2022