He Xian is a Senior Attorney in Butzel’s Lansing office. His practice concentrates on international business and trade, workforce and immigration, governmental relationships, and foreign direct investment in the U.S. Mr. Xian supervises the Firm’s Conference Center at Jingguang Centre in Beijing, China. Mr. Xian has guided over 50 Chinese companies to establish or expand their U.S. operations and workforce. Mr. Xian also facilitated numerous U.S.-based companies’ expansions or dispute resolutions in China.
Mr. Xian’s clients range from large scale state-owned-enterprises and public companies to start-up companies in automotive, agriculture, education, infrastructure, IT and engineering services, and other industries. The New York Times, China Daily, China News Service, and China Auto News previously recognized and reported Mr. Xian’s work, especially with leaders in the Chinese automotive and agriculture industries, including Geely-Volvo, Yili, and Mengniu. Mr. Xian maintains a good relationship with governmental partners in China and the U.S. In particular, Mr. Xian also facilitated a sister city relationship between Hohhot and Lansing.
Mr. Xian also taught at Michigan State University, and his academic study focuses on the sociology of stratification, perception, and related policy issues. Mr. Xian has published his works in peer-reviewed journals such as Research in Stratification and Social Mobility, Socius, and The Sociological Quarterly. Mr. Xian is a member of the Southern Sociological Society.
Mr. Xian is a graduate of Michigan State University College of Law (J.D.) and the University of Georgia (B.A.). Mr. Xian also earned a certificate in Chinese Legal System from Peking University in Beijing, China.
- “Bootstraps, Buddies, and Bribes: Perceived Meritocracy in China and the United States”, He Xian and Jeremy E. Reynolds, The Sociological Quarterly, December 2017
“Executive Summary on Civil Procedure in the People’s Republic of China: Judgment Enforcement.” In Nicolas J. Wittner (Eds.), Civil Litigation for Foreign Educated Lawyers 2016 Supplemental Materials. New York: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, May 2016
- "Perception of Meritocracy in the Land of Opportunity", Jeremy E. Reynolds and He Xian on, Research in Stratification and Social Mobility, June 2014
- “Philosophy of Nothingness”, He Xian, Atlanta Chinese Newspaper, April 2008.
Peking University School of Law
University of Georgia, B.A.
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D.
- Member – North America Chinese Engine Engineers Association (2017 - present)
- Member – Midwest Sociological Society (2017 - present)
- Member - Southern Sociological Society (2016 - present)
- Member and General Counsel – Association of International Investors (2015 - present)
- Member – Atlanta Chinese Writers Association (2008 - present)
- Senior Vice President – Chinese Students Association at University of Georgia (2011 - 2012)
- Executive Member – Atlanta Chinese Writers Association (2010 - 2011)
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Immigration, 2021-2022
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2022
News & Events
- Firm News, 8.12.2022
- Firm News, 7.5.2022
- China Daily, 9.28.2019
- Macomb Daily, 10.29.2018
- China Auto News, 1.17.2018
- Virtual, 11.17.2021
- Detroit, MI, 11.14.2019
- Detroit, MI, 11.29.2018
Alerts & Publications
- Client Alert, 10.24.2022
- Client Alert, 8.17.2022
- Client Alert, 6.22.2022
- Client Alert, 4.11.2022
- Client Alert, 4.5.2022
- Client Alert, 2.23.2022
- Client Alert, 2.1.2022
- SOCIUS: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World, 7.1.2019