Daniel J. McCarthy is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel’s Troy office. He graduated from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School (J.D., cum laude) and Western Connecticut State University (B.B.A.). Mr. McCarthy concentrates his practice in appellate and commercial litigation for both state and federal courts. He is highly skilled and sought after for appellate litigation, as well as arbitration matters. A prolific writer, Daniel has authored thousands of legal briefs during his career and he has garnered many victories in the appellate and circuit courts, as well as multiple arbitration awards in favor of his clients. His cumulative career is a testament to his unyielding dedication to providing every client with the most efficient and effective advocacy possible.
Daniel served as a law clerk intern for the Honorable Richard F. Suhrheinrich, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He later served as a law clerk for the Honorable Marilyn J. Kelly, Chief Justice, Michigan Supreme Court, 1999 to 2000, and then in 2000 he served as a pre-hearing attorney for the Michigan Court of Appeals.
In addition to his career as an experienced and trusted litigator, Daniel also served as an adjunct professor at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School.
In 2010, Daniel was appointed to serve on the Michigan Supreme Court Committee on Model Civil Jury Instructions, a position he held through 2018.
Business Contracts A to Z: Breach of Contract (National Business Institute)
NBI Seminar on Contract and Breach of Contract Actions
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., 1999 cum laude, honors scholar
Western Connecticut State University, B.B.A., 1993
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Michigan Supreme Court Committee on Model Civil Jury Instructions, 2010-2018
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Incorporated Society of Irish American Lawyers
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice; Commercial Litigation, 2021-2022
Michigan Super Lawyers, 2014-2021
dBusiness Top Lawyer
News & Events
Alerts & Publications