Scott T. Patterson
Scott T. Patterson is a shareholder based in Butzel Long's Bloomfield Hills office. Mr. Patterson is a graduate of the Detroit College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1986) and the University of Virginia (B.A., 1983).
Mr. Patterson represents employers in labor and employment law and business-related immigration matters. He has extensive experience representing employers in state and federal courts and before government agencies in defense of employment-related claims such as those involving allegations of sexual harassment, race, age, gender and disability discrimination, wrongful discharge and alleged violations of various state and federal statutes. Mr. Patterson also represents employers in arbitration proceedings and collective bargaining negotiations.
In addition to litigating employment-based lawsuits, Mr. Patterson is actively involved in advising clients on compliance with federal, state and local laws affecting the employment relationship and assisting employers in developing employment policies and practices designed to comply with applicable laws and avoid employment claims. He also represents employers and employees in business-related immigration matters such as temporary employment visas, including H-2B visas for seasonal workers in the hospitality and construction industries, and in obtaining permanent residency status for employees.
Mr. Patterson is a frequent lecturer on employment-related matters and conducts training for employers on various issues including sexual harassment prevention, avoiding discharged-related claims, and Family Medical Leave Act compliance.
Mr. Patterson is a member of the Labor Law Section of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan, and the American Immigration Lawyers Association, Michigan Chapter.
- University of Virginia 1983, B.A.
- Detroit College of Law 1986, J.D.
American Bar Association - Labor Law Section
State Bar of Michigan
American Immigration Lawyers Association - Michigan chapter
- Successfully represented employer in a wage and hour collective action.
- Butzel Long hosts 27th Annual Labor, Employment, and Immigration Law Forum November 7, 2014 in Dearborn
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long attorneys Robin Luce Herrmann and Scott Patterson quoted in Crain's Detroit Business article titled "Post haste: Firms must be careful in developing social media policies"
- Butzel Long attorney Scott T. Patterson to discuss social media in the workplace during American Society of Employers program
- Butzel Long attorney Scott T. Patterson featured recently during American Society of Employers Conference
- November 9, 2018
- December 13, 2017
- For the First Time, EEOC Sues Private Employers for “Sex Discrimination” Based on Sexual OrientationMarch 4, 2016
- December 4, 2015
- March 20, 2015
- December 12, 2014
- May 28, 2014
- Social Media, Privacy, and Technology - Protecting Your Digital Investment & Brand is Critical to your BusinessOctober 3, 2012
- August 31, 2011
- Client Alert: Labor and Employment - Michigan Supreme Court Limits Employer Liability for Employee’s Intentional, Unforeseeable Quid Pro Quo Sexual HarassmentAugust 9, 2011
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Dearborn, MI