Richard E. Rassel
Richard E. Rassel is a shareholder and serves as Chairman of Butzel Long. He holds a B.A. from University of Notre Dame and a J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School. Mr. Rassel is also a Certified Judge Advocate having graduated from the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate School. He practices primarily in the area of complex business litigation and arbitration with a special concentration in media law. He was a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers from 1989-2013 and is a graduate of the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution Mediation and Arbitration.
Over the years, Mr. Rassel's professional skills have earned him listings in Chambers, The Best Lawyers in America, Michigan Super Lawyers, as well as a Martindale-Hubbell AV preeminent rating.
Mr. Rassel is a Director and Secretary of the Detroit Legal News, Inc.
Mr. Rassel is also active in the community. He is a past Board Chair of Detroit Public Television where he was honored with the 2011 Community Leadership Award, past Chairman of the Board of the Holy Cross Foundation, past Director of the Michigan Strategic Fund, and former President and Founding Trustee of the Rosa Parks Scholarship Foundation. He has been honored with the Community Service Award and the Leadership Award by the Birmingham (Michigan) Community House, where he is a past President. Mr. Rassel serves as Vice Chairman of the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce's Foundation Board; a Trustee of William Beaumont Hospital System; an Ambassador of the College of Arts and Sciences of Oakland University; and a member of the Board of Advisors for the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law.
- Aerospace & Defense Industry Team
- Aerospace and Defense
- Automation Alley
- Automotive Law
- China International Team
- Europe International Team
- Finance & Restructuring
- Health Care
- Health Care Industry Team
- India International Team
- Intellectual Property
- Lex Mundi
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Media Law
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A.
The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 1989-2019
The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation; First Amendment Law, 1989-2017
Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2006-2018
Chambers USA, 2006-2010, Litigation, Commercial Litigation
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Alternative Dispute Resolution First Amendment Law Government Relations Law, 2011-2013 Commercial Litigation, 2013, 2017
Birmingham (Michigan) Community House - Community Service Award Recipient Past President
Detroit Public Television - Robert Porter Leadership Award 2011
- Washington, D.C.
American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow (1989-2011)
Holy Cross Foundation - Chairman of the Board
Michigan Strategic Fund - Director
Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce - Foundation Board Trustee
William Beaumont Hospital - Trustee - Vice Chair Research Institute
Rosa Parks Scholarship Foundation - Former President and Trustee
Oakland University - Ambassador of the College of Arts and Sciences
Detroit Public Television - Vice Chairman (Chairman 2009-2011)
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law- Board of Advisors
- Represented international milling company in multi-year anti-trust case culminating in "no cause" verdict.
- Represented defendant recording artists in multi-million dollar music copyright case resulting in a "no cause" verdict.
- Represented CBS Sixty Minutes in multi-year libel litigation culminating in a "no cause" verdict.
- Represented international advertising agency in overturning a $44 million judgment.
- Butzel Long attorneys integral in developing business roundtable program during TANA Conference in Detroit
- Butzel Long attorneys Justin Klimko and Dick Rassel discuss future of Detroit in the Detroit Free Press
- Butzel Long Chairman Richard E. Rassel receives leadership award during the 10th Annual PBS Premiere Night event
- Recipients say Rosa Parks award helps reach career goals
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2010: Forty-nine attorneys recognized in national listing
- Butzel Long attorney Richard E. Rassel receives the 2008 Community Service Award presented by The Community House