Rebecca S. Davies
Rebecca S. Davies is a shareholder based in Butzel Long's Detroit office. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan at Dearborn and her juris doctorate, magna cum laude, from the Detroit College of Law in 1995. She also completed the masters program at Wayne State University Law School by obtaining a L.L.M., with a GPA of 3.79, in Labor and Employment Law.
Ms. Davies concentrates her practice primarily in the areas of employment law and commercial litigation. She represents employers in federal and state court litigation and before state and federal administrative agencies.
Ms. Davies has represented employers in both the private and public sectors for almost twenty years. She has represented companies with 2 to 20,000 employees. In the public sector, Ms. Davies has represented numerous municipalities, libraries, counties and government authorities.
Ms. Davies has had repeated success both in and out of the court room. In federal court, she has received no cause verdicts in the defense of employment and commercial jury trials. In state court, she has obtained numerous dismissals and favorable settlements in a wide range of employment disputes, including harassment, wrongful termination, employment discrimination and wage claims. She also has repeatedly obtained dismissals of charges before federal and state administrative agencies. Her greatest successes, however, may be her efforts to prevent litigation. She has regularly counseled employers regarding compliance under federal and state employment laws (including FLSA, FMLA, ADA and Title VII), drafted employment policies, and advised on preventative strategies.
Ms. Davies is a frequent author and lecturer, not only for client in-house trainings and publications, but also outside organizations, such as Walsh College, the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, Automation Alley and American Society of Employers. She is an adjunct faculty member at Walsh College where she teaches the PHR/SPHR certification courses as well as general business law courses. Also at Walsh College, Ms. Davies facilitates monthly affinity groups for human resource professionals at both the Troy and Novi campuses.
Ms. Davies is also active in national and local legal associations and regularly volunteers in her community. She serves on the Board of North American Transportation Employee Relations Association ("NATERA"), is a member of the Wage and Hour Defense Institute of the Litigation Counsel of America, and has previously served as the Chair for the Labor and Employment Section for the Oakland County Bar Association. She was a Girl Scout leader for 6 years and is currently an assistant coach for the middle school fast pitch team and an active school volunteer.
- "The FLSA Overtime Exemption and its Impact on Michigan Business", Michigan Chapter of the National Association of African Americans in Human Resources, June 21, 2019
- "Wage and Hour Update", Detroit Chapter of the American Payroll Association, June 20, 2019
- "Embracing Change: Employment Law Under The Trump Administration", MichBusiness Webinar, April 11, 2018
- "Sexual Harassment in the Workplace - What Can and Cannot be Said From a Legal Standpoint", The Frank Beckmann Show, 760 WJR Detroit, April 20, 2017
- "Overview of the ADA", Interplay of Employee Benefits: ADA, FMLA & Workers' Compensation Seminar, Troy, MI, April 11, 2017
- "The Most Often and Repeated Labor and Employment Mistakes Employers Make", Flint and Genesee County Chamber of Commerce, January 20, 2016
- "Employment Law Update", Native Human Resources Network Meeting, Odawa Casino Hotel, October 7, 2015
- “Employee or Independent Contract? Worker Misclassification Issues”, Michigan Association of CPAs - East Metro Group, Grosse Pointe Yacht Club, September 30, 2015
- Co-Presenter of "Handling Your Toughest Leave Management & Accommodation Challenges under the ADAAA and Pregnancy Discrimination Act", 29th Annual North American Transportation Employee Relations Association Conference, New Orleans, September 20-22, 2015
- "Employment Law Update", Native Human Resources Network Meeting, Soaring Eagle Hotel and Casino, May 7, 2015
- "Hiring and Law 101", A Career and Business Services Learning Networks Joint Meeting, Oakland Community College, March 4, 2014
- American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law: Outreach to Law Students Law School Panel, Organizer and Speaker, October 22, 2013
- "How to Squeeze Every Ounce of Knowledge Out of Your Advisors", Professionals Panel, Entrepreneur - You 2013 Conference, February 2013
- "Wage & Hour Compliance: Avoid Being Named as the Next Defendant", Blue Water Human Resources Association, January 2013
- "Business Law Basics", Walsh Business 360, Walsh Institute, January 2012
- "PHR Exam Preparation", Walsh Institute/Society for Human Resource Management, 2012
- Wayne State University Graduate 2010, LL.M.
- Detroit College of Law Law School 1995, J.D.
- University of Michigan Undergraduate 1991, B.S.A.
Corp! Magazine Most Valuable Professional, 2016
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Labor and Employment Law, 2016
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Oakland County Bar Association, Sustaining Member - Employment Law Committee, Chair (2009-2010) Employment Law Committee, Vice Chair (2008-2009)
Walsh College Business Leadership Institute, Affinity Group Leader
Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Advisory Council
Wage and Hour Defense Institute, Member
Walsh College, Facilitator for Human Resource Professionals Affinity Group
North American Transportation Employee Relations Association
Transportation Lawyers Association
Girl Scout Leader (2005-present)
Farmington Area Jaycees, Board member and Legal Counsel (1998-2002)
- Successfully defended credit union in a wage and hour complaint brought by former employee for unpaid vacation and personal time.
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies quoted in SHRM article, "State and Local Coronavirus Decrees Raise Questions of Who Is Essential"
- Automotive Industry Outlook and Workforce Issues as Coronavirus Impact Escalates is the focus of a free webinar on March 26 hosted by Butzel Long
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies quoted in Crain's Detroit Business article, "Coronavirus questions: Can employers take a worker’s temperature?"Crain's Detroit Business
- DBusiness Magazine publishes blog "Employers – Frequent Communication With Employees is Key During Pandemic" written by Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies featured during State Bar of Michigan Health Care Law Section's Annual Meeting on September 19, 2019
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies featured during NAAAHR State of Michigan Conference August 26 and 27 in Novi
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies interviewed on "Statewide with Cynthia Canty" on Michigan's Paid Medical Leave Act
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies interviewed in Corp! Magazine on Michigan's new Paid Medical Leave ActCorp! Magazine
- How auto leaders should address talent attraction/ retention/ and contractual/ legal issues are focus of timely, upcoming seminars
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies named a “2017 Honoree for Michigan Women in the Law” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies interviewed on WJR's The Frank Beckmann Show on the topic of Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies interviewed by WDET on what the overtime limbo means for SE Michigan
- Butzel Long hosts 27th Annual Labor, Employment, and Immigration Law Forum November 7, 2014 in Dearborn
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long attorney to moderate panel during NATERA Employee Relations Conference in November in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Butzel Long is hosting an ABA Woman Advocate Committee Regional Networking Gathering on November 13 at its Bloomfield Hills office
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies will be featured during panel presentation at NATERA’s 26th Annual Conference October 21-23, 2012
- Butzel Long is the Michigan host for the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 25
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies to discuss EEOC’s recommend best practices, individualized assessments and the ‘Green Factors’ during July 12, 2012 program at Walsh College
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies to moderate panel presentation during EEOC June 12, 2012 seminar in Detroit
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies featured during the North American Transportation Employee Relations Association 25th Annual Conference October 23-25, 2011 in St. Petersburg
- March 30, 2020
- March 26, 2020
- March 19, 2020
- September 26, 2019
- March 8, 2019
- February 5, 2019
- December 17, 2018
- August 31, 2017
- Department of Labor withdraws informal guidance on joint employment and independent contractor status issued by the Obama AdministrationJune 8, 2017
- November 23, 2016
- June 19, 2015
- April 22, 2015
- March 26, 2015
- April 23, 2013
- January 1, 2013
- February 23, 2012
- Automation Alley Newsletter - Are Your Independent Contractors Misclassified? IRS Offers Employers a “Fresh Start” to Reclassify WorkersNovember 1, 2011
- Client Alert - Are Your Independent Contractors Misclassified? IRS Offers Employers a “Fresh Start” to Reclassify WorkersOctober 18, 2011
- September 1, 2011
- Automation Alley Newsletter - Time to Review your Employment Agreements: “Expired” is not the same as “Terminated” when it comes to enforcing restrictive covenantsAugust 1, 2011
- Client Alert - Trade Secret and Non-Compete - Time to Review your Employment Agreements: “Expired” is not the same as “Terminated” when it comes to enforcing restrictive covenantsJuly 27, 2011
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Livonia, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Troy, MI
- Dearborn, MI
- The Department of Labor’s Plans to Expand Overtime Pay Eligibility and to Attack Misclassification of Employees as Independent ContractorsBloomfield Hills, MI