The deep experience of our lawyers both as in-house and outside counsel at a wide range of financial institutions and regulatory agencies enables us to provide insightful legal advice informed by a comprehensive understanding of our clients businesses.
Our clients include banks, commercial lenders, borrowers, investment advisors, hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate funds and other financial institutions. Our attorneys also have extensive experience in mortgage-backed and asset-backed securities and are experts in all federal securities laws and regulations.
Because of the depth of our financial services group and the firm as a whole, we are able to bring together teams of attorneys who are leading practitioners in their fields to handle the array of needs financial services clients may have, including litigation, bankruptcies and workouts, corporate compliance and white collar criminal defense, broker-dealer representation, hedge fund and investment advisor act matters, mutual fund regulation, private equity and venture capital fund formation and transactional representation, private offering memoranda, investment documentation, registration statements, and securities and corporate finance work, in the US and internationally.
Whatever the size and scope of the engagement, Butzel Long is committed to meeting the sophisticated legal needs of clients in the financial services field.
- Recapitalization transaction with a private equity investor for an IT consulting company
- Represented infrastructure investment fund in proposals to acquire port facilities.
- Organized private equity and venture capital funds
- Represented Santa Rosa Consulting in its $25 million equity capitalization by private equity investors
- Registered equity offering for publicly traded real estate trust
- Assisted a pharmaceuticals company in several rounds of venture capital financing
- Closed on Series D venture capital financing
- Provided regulatory advice for fee structures, advertising activities and other operations matters
- Assisted with purchase and sale of investment advisory businesses
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for public debt offering for a financial services firm.
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for initial public offering and follow on offering for real estate investment trust.
- Representation of public company in connection with SEC investigation.
- Representation of technology company in Series A and Series B venture capital financings, including due diligence, bridge financing, investor documentation, employment agreements, etc.
- Representation of investment adviser for formation of hedge fund of funds.
- Assisted with preparation of investment management agreements, solicitor agreements and other agreements relating to investment advisory business
- Preparation of numerous dividend reinvestment and share repurchase plans for public companies including all required filings with SEC.
- Acted as counsel for issuers and for participating broker-dealer firms in many private securities offerings pursuant to SEC Regulation D, Regulation S and various state exemptions.
- Representation of calling card company in adversary proceeding arising out of WorldCom bankruptcy proceedings
- Represented a machinery company in a sale to an ESOP and related commercial financing
- Assisted a rubber hosing company with the disposition of operations in Canada and the U.S.
- Created loan/financing structure for capital acquisition and industrial expansion for Canadian and U.S. structure and operations
- Filed amicus curiae brief with the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of 13 state-specific mutual-bond funds, addressing the issue of whether income-tax exemption for interest income from in-state municipal bonds violates the Constitution's Commerce Clause
- Registration of federal only and state investment advisers including assistance with FINRA and state filings, preparation of compliance manuals, privacy policies and compliance procedures
- Represented publicly-held utility holding company in proposed $3 billion acquisition by private equity investors.
- Defense of foreign bank in “clawback” litigation commenced by Fairfield Sentry, significant “feeder fund” to Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities.
- Successfully closed a complex, $50 million private equity financing including a reincorporation merger and a myriad of difficult pre-closing transactions
- Counsel for public companies in manufacturing, bio-medical, technology and real estate industries in going private transactions including all filings with SEC.
- Assisted defense subcontractor in disposition to an affiliate of a foreign contractor
- 3rd tranche of Series B Preferred Stock Venture Capital Financing
- Representation of broker-dealer firm in SEC receivership proceedings under SIPC resulting from net capital violations.
- Representation of health services company in reverse merger with a public company as means of going public.
- Organized hedge funds including hedge fund of funds
- Creation of novel China oriented mutual fund
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for the initial public offering of software company.
- Advised the special committee of the board of directors of a building products company in a management-led acquisition
- Assisted venture capital firm with Series A Preferred Stock investment in new start-up company together with organizational work
- U.S. News & World Report, November 1, 2018
- July 16, 2013
- November 5, 2012
- Butzel Long attorney Peter D. Morgenstern shares insights related to the MF Global bankruptcyApril 9, 2012
- Butzel Long attorney Joseph Richotte discusses confidential settlement agreements between local government and online travel companiesDecember 12, 2011
- Butzel Long attorneys Sean H. Cook and Jennifer E. Powell featured during Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants 2011 Mergers & Acquisitions ConferenceJune 27, 2011
- June 9, 2011
- April 28, 2011
- Butzel Long President Justin G. Klimko to be featured during State Bar of Michigan Business Law Section’s Business Boot Camp IJanuary 20, 2011
- June 5, 2009
- October 22, 2008
- June 11, 2007
- What To Know: Highlights of the $2 Trillion Federal Coronavirus (COVID-19) Rescue Package (CARES Act) for Small and Mid-Sized BusinessesMarch 28, 2020
- July 8, 2014
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Final Dodd-Frank Definition of Accredited InvestorDecember 23, 2011
- November 1, 2011
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Inflation Adjusted Definition of “Qualified Client” Under The Investment Advisers ActJuly 20, 2011
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Significant Implementing Rules For Investment Advisers Under Dodd-Frank ActJuly 5, 2011
- November 29, 2010
- July 23, 2010
- July 12, 2010
- March 1, 2010
- February 8, 2010
- September 1, 2009
- August 11, 2009
- August 7, 2009
- July 16, 2009
- February 20, 2009
- January 26, 2009
- December 8, 2008
- August 1, 2008
- July 23, 2008
- July 21, 2008
- February 19, 2008
- January 1, 2008