Construction Industry Team
Members of Butzel Long are not only veterans of the construction profession, but recognized leaders in the industry, with expertise in all phases of the construction process. Our deep industry knowledge extends from government relations to project management and whether it's bidding and building a project or understanding the nuances surrounding different types of dirt we pride ourselves on being as capable working on public works projects as we are working with contractors.
We serve in many different roles for our clients as industry insiders and problem solvers we understand our clients' businesses and know how to navigate through government and work with industry personnel to get projects completed efficiently and cost effectively. We are general counsel to Michigan's largest industry trade group, Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association, and count a substantial number of its members as clients. We are also active members in several other industry groups such as Associated General Contractors of Michigan and are frequently asked to lecture and present programs to industry professionals and other lawyers. In addition to representing clients, a number of our attorneys serve as arbitrators, mediators and masters in complex construction disputes.
- Succeeded in an administrative contested claim proceeding before the Michigan Department of Transportation
- Successfully resolved a significant construction defect dispute with the Michigan Department of Transportation without litigation
- Successfully represented without litigation the contractor engaged to construct the new "ring road" around the perimeter of a local Michigan airport
- Has successfully represented contractors and subcontractors in numerous delay, acceleration, Differing Site Conditions, extra work, defective and warranty work, and contract interpretation disputes with MDOT in the administrative claims review process.
- Has successfully represented infrastructure contractors and subcontractors in connection with private works projects involving delay, interference and extra/changed work disputes and prosecution of construction lien foreclosure claims throughout Michigan.
- Construction; obtain no cause in Federal Court jury trial
- Represented prevailing contractor in a Conflict Resolution Team proceeding involving significant warranty work claim by MDOT.
- Represented LG Chem in the acquisition of land, obtaining various government grants and tax incentives and the drafting and negotiating of the construction contract for a $303 million advanced lithium ion battery manufacturing facility.
- Successful defense of major construction industry manufacturer against claims of employee raiding
- Successfully represented prime contractor in warranty work dispute on an airport pavement rehabilitation project in Florida.
- Represented two contractors in connection with multiple local and federal fraud false claims act investigations of construction projects at a major airport
- Negotiated construction and development contracts for commercial office building
- Successfully represented prime contractor in resolution of warranty disputes and subcontractor disputes on a major freeway reconstruction project for the Indiana Department of Transportation.
- Obtained a panel Decision of No Cause of Action for our client in a complex construction case involving the construction of a water intake bed on the floor of Lake Michigan
- Successfully represented prime contractors and subcontractors in resolution of federal and local false claim act investigations on multiple projects at major airports in Michigan and Tennessee.
- Successfully represented the industry in halting the announced “non-public opening of bid” on a $120M site civil construction project at a major Michigan airport and procuring the re-advertisement of the project providing for full competitive bidding.
- Lead lawyers for conversion of a City of Detroit housing project into multi-use, residential property under federal program
- Successfully represented prime and subcontractor in prosecution of multi-million dollar delay claims on a Michigan Department of Transportation construction project.
- Successfully represented the joint venture prime contractor in the resolution of all claims without litigation on a $120M, four year construction project at a major Michigan airport.
- Successfully represented prime contractor in resolution of multi-million dollar delay claim on Texas Department of Transportation Project.
- Successfully prosecuted administrative appeals to preclude awards to second bidders on three MDOT construction contracts totaling more than $14M.
- Prepared an administrative appeal and concurrently prepared the suit for immediate injuctive relief; our efforts were successful in preventing an award of the $14 million contract to the second bidder
- Successfully represented subcontractor in prosecution of Miller Act Payment Bond claim in connection with USAF airfield reconstruction project in Kansas.
- Successfully represented performance bond surety in obtaining a No Cause of Action in a complex case involving the construction of an off shore water intake facility on the bottom of Lake Michigan.
- Advised the special committee of the board of directors of a building products company in a management-led acquisition
- Successfully represented prime contractor and subcontractor in recovering $1.5M claim for extra work on a MDOT bridge reconstruction contract.
- Has successfully represented construction industry trade associations in resolution of matters affecting the transportation infrastructure construction industry in Michigan.
- Representing MITA as a constituent member of the Michigan Damage Prevention Board, in the ongoing re-write of Michigan's underground utility locating act, commonly known as the MISS DIG Act
- Successfully represented joint venture contractor in the negotiated resolution of delay and acceleration claims exceeding $1M primarily arising out of defective design and interference issues on a complex road and sewer reconstruction project.
- Michigan Construction Industry benefits from Butzel Long’s role in Michigan Supreme Court Ruling on Commercial General Liability CoverageJuly 2, 2020
- June 9, 2011
- April 28, 2011
- March 14, 2011
- September 23, 2009
- October 22, 2008
- March 18, 2021
- February 15, 2021
- December 29, 2020
- August 26, 2020
- New Executive Order Issued - Camps for Kids, K-12 Sports, and In-Person Extracurricular School Activities May Resume Today in Michigan – Salons, Barbers, and Spas are open as wellJune 15, 2020
- June 5, 2020
- June 5, 2020
- June 3, 2020
- June 2, 2020
- May 29, 2020
- May 22, 2020
- May 18, 2020
- Governor Mandates Any Business Reopening to Develop a COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan, Among other RequirementsMay 15, 2020
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer Reopens Manufacturing in Michigan, But Extends Stay at Home Order Until May 28May 7, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- U.S. Senate Passes the “Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act,” Adding $310 Billion to the PPP FundApril 22, 2020
- April 22, 2020
- All Businesses Ordered To Develop COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan – What Your Business Needs To DoApril 10, 2020
- Governor Whitmer Orders Most Businesses to Stay Closed Until April 30 – Other Changes All Businesses Need to KnowApril 9, 2020
- March 26, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- Coronavirus and the Construction Industry: Plans and Procedures for Construction Companies to Implement to Mitigate the Impact of the CoronavirusMarch 12, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- January 1, 2019