Bushra A. Malik
Bushra A. Malik is a shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Bloomfield Hills Office. She is a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1998) and Michigan State University's James Madison College (B.A. in International Relations with High Honors, 1996 and an additional major in Japanese and Certificate of Asian Studies). Ms. Malik is listed in the The Best Lawyers in America (Immigration Law) and was named one of DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in the field of immigration law.
Ms. Malik practices in the area of immigration law, focusing her practice on the representation of multinational and domestic clients' inbound and global migration needs. Ms. Malik's experience includes Employment based (Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Researcher, Multinational Manager, and PERMs) and Family based Permanent Residence Petitions Non-Immigrant Petitions (H-1B/Specialty Occupation, J-1/ Exchange Visitor, L-1/Intracompany Transfers, O-1/Extraordinary Ability, TN/ NAFTA); Employer Compliance (I-9 Audits and H-1B Public Access File Audits); J-1 waivers; Compliance under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiate (WHTI); U.S. Passports; complex naturalization matters; and currency seizures. Ms. Malik has extensive experience in securing work and residence permits for numerous countries around the globe, including: China, India, Canada, Japan, Australia, the United Kingdom, Germany, Russia, Malaysia, Hungary, Poland, Italy, and Belgium. Ms. Malik also routinely represents clients at U.S. Ports of Entry, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services District Office, U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad, as well as various Foreign Embassies and Consulates.
Prior to joining Butzel Long, Ms. Malik was a Vice Consul for the United States Foreign Service, Department of State in Seoul, South Korea. She also worked with the Executive Office of Immigration Review at the Chicago Immigration Court and had externships with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in New Delhi, India, and the legacy Immigration and Naturalization Service, Office of the General Counsel in Washington, DC.
Ms. Malik is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), the American Bar Association, the South Asian Bar Association, the Michigan Muslim Bar Association, and the Japanese Business Society of Detroit. Ms. Malik is currently serving as a member of the Steering Committee of AILA’s Global Migration Section as well as a member of the AILA Department of State National Liaison Committee. Ms. Malik also currently serves on the Executive Committee for the Michigan Chapter of AILA as the Treasurer, and previously served on the Executive Committee for the Michigan Chapter of AILA as the Secretary. Ms Malik previously served on the AILA Customs and Border Protection National Liaison Committee; Program Chair of the 2015 AILA Global Immigration Forum; Program Vice Chair of the 2014 AILA Global Immigration Forum; Program Senior Vice Chair of the 2013 AILA Global Immigration Forum; and presented at the 2014, 2013, and 2012 AILA Global Immigration Forums and 2015 Rome District Chapter AILA Conference in Rome. She also previously served as the Chair of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service Liaison Committee for the Michigan Chapter of AILA. Ms. Malik speaks Hindi, Japanese and Urdu.
- University of Michigan Law School 1998, J.D.
- James Madison College at Michigan State University Graduate 1996, B.A. International Relations
The Best Lawyers in America, Immigration Law, 2015-2019
DBusiness Top Lawyers, Immigration Law, 2015-2018
AILA - Executive Committee for the Michigan Chapter (Secretary)
AILA - Conference and Events Committee of the Global Migration Section (Vice Chair)
AILA - Program Vice Chair of the Global Immigration Forum 2014
AILA - Program Senior Vice Chair of the Global Immigration Forum 2013
AILA - Speaker at the Global Immigration Forum 2013 and 2012
AILA - United States Citizenship and Immigration Service Liaison Committee for the Michigan Chapter (Previous Chair)
American Bar Association
South Asian Bar Association
Michigan Muslim Bar Association
Japanese Business Society of Detroit
- Consulted with clients regarding special permanent resident card interviews
- Prepared J-1 waivers of 2 year foreign residency requirement based on no-objection letters, interested government agencies, hardship and other grounds
- Represented clients in obtaining visas at various US Embassies and Consulates abroad
- Analyzed effect of corporate changes, including mergers and acquisitions, on foreign national’s immigration status.
- Represented employers during investigations conducted by USICE and USDOL regarding employment verification issues
- Represented clients in complex naturalization matters including restoration of U.S. citizenship, appeals for denied naturalization applications, and evaluate strategies for overcoming grounds of ineligibility.
- Managed multi-country projects and obtained work authorizations in multiple jurisdictions for individuals of various nationalities.
- Assisted family members in obtaining appropriate fianc
- Obtained approval of Immigration Petition for Alien of Extraordinary Ability for various professionals including engineers, scientists, corporate executives, professional athletes, entertainers, coaches, and trainers.
- Conducted in-house training on I-9 form compliance and retention, including electronic completion and storage of I-9 forms
- Conducted in-house training regarding preparing and maintaining H-1B public access files and Labor Certification Applications
- Obtained re-entry permits to maintain permanent residence status in the United States for individuals transferred abroad
- Assisted with preservation of residency for naturalization purposes for individuals transferred overseas
- Represented clients at Port of Entry to process admission to US under NAFTA
- Analyzed eligibility for naturalization through parents or grandparents and prepare necessary documentation
- Obtained permanent resident status pursuant to registry provisions based on residence in U.S. since January 1972
- Conducted internal audits of I-9 forms for clients
- Advised employers regarding maintenance of employer/employee relationship when foreign national is placed offsite
- Obtained removal of conditions on permanent residency
- Provided preventative counseling on Department of Homeland Security and Department of Labor investigations and employer sanctions.
- Assisted employers in obtaining appropriate nonimmigrant classification (TN, H-1B, H-3, L-1A, L-1B, O-1, E-1/E-2, P) and immigrant classification (EB-1, EB-2, EB-3 and EB-5).
- Evaluated retention of dual citizenship for U.S. and other countries such as Germany, Italy, Australia, Canada, etc.
- Preparation of J-1 Exchange Visitor and H-3 Trainee applications and petitions for employees of foreign companies with U.S. facilities
- Butzel Long attorney Bushra Malik interviewed by National Public Radio on two new USCIS policy memos
- Butzel Long immigration attorney Bushra Malik to discuss ‘Fact Checking the Immigration Process’ on April 22 in Troy
- Butzel Long hosts 27th Annual Labor, Employment, and Immigration Law Forum November 7, 2014 in Dearborn
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel ranked by Chambers USA 2014 in the First Tier in White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations firm's Immigration Practice ranked nationally
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long immigration attorney is Program Vice Chair and a presenter for the AILA Global Immigration Forum on June 26 in San Francisco
- Bushra A. Malik featured at program by the Michigan India Chamber of Commerce and the South Asian Bar Association of Michigan
- June 28, 2018
- June 30, 2017
- March 16, 2017
- February 1, 2017
- January 30, 2017
- February 24, 2015
- Immigration - U.S. Customs and Border Protection to Begin Rollout of Automated Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record on April 30, 2013April 30, 2013
- March 15, 2013
- April 22, 2010
- January 6, 2009
- December 16, 2008
- August 14, 2008
- January 25, 2008
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Dearborn, MI