What differentiates our law firm from any other? Ultimately, it is our culture. At Butzel Long, our values are central to our culture, and these values attract a certain lawyer. We believe our recruiting efforts are critical to our success and are diligent about accessing talent whose values align with ours.
POSITION: Tax Attorney
OFFICE: Bloomfield Hills or Detroit
GENERAL PURPOSE: Butzel Long, a Michigan-based law firm with offices in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Bloomfield Hills and Lansing, Michigan as well as New York and Washington, D.C., is seeking an experienced tax attorney to join its Michigan offices.
Candidates should have a minimum of 10 years of experience providing legal representation in all areas of tax law. A candidate with a strong book of business and a L.L.M. in taxation and/or CPA license is preferred.
- Advise and represent clients regarding state and local taxes including income, capital gains, sales and use and real estate taxes.
- Advise and represent clients with respect to a variety of taxes issues including choice of entity, tax planning in connection with mergers and acquisitions and capital market transactions, non-profit organizations, business start-ups, tax compliance program
management and trusts and estates.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience in tax matters including corporate mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures; partnerships, LLCs and joint ventures; private equity and private equity fund formation; real estate, real estate fund formation and real estate investment trusts; regulated
investment companies; non-profit and financing and capital markets transactions.
- Knowledge and experience with international taxation is a plus.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Proficient in the use of on-line legal research services and legal resources available on the internet.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Must have the desire and ability to be actively engaged in professional activities with the growth of business in mind.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work cooperatively in teams and actively engage in the professional development of associate attorneys.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING:
- Must be a graduate of an accredited law school
- Admitted to and in good standing with the State Bar of Michigan
- At least 10 years of experience as a practicing attorney
POSITION: Business Development Manager
GENERAL PURPOSE: The Business Development Manager works with the Automotive, Aerospace and Defense, Education, and Health Care Industry Groups (“Industry Groups”) in collaboration with relevant Practice Department Chairs and the Marketing Department in the development and effective management of current and new business development opportunities.
- Identify opportunities for, and establish business development relationship within relevant industry sectors
- Meet weekly with each Industry Group
- Lead business development initiatives and projects aligned with Butzel Long’s strategies and goals
- Support Industry Groups in the successful execution of special projects and events
- Manage and support the development of cross-selling opportunities within the firm
- Lead and participate in internal industry and practice group meetings
- Provide business development opportunity identification with appropriate research, intelligence, and support
- Maintain essential information and intelligence on key industries and competitors to develop Butzel Long’s unique selling propositions and differentiators
- Track and report project status and marketing activity
- Assist in the development of industry and client communications and firm marketing materials
- Manage and foster professional association relationships and involvement, relative to assigned industries
- Work within the Butzel Long marketing department to identify and leverage media opportunities
- Monitor and identify law firm business development and marketing trends
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong knowledge of best practices within marketing and business development
- Innovative mindset with strong ability to prioritize multiple deadlines
- Excellent research and analysis skills
- Strong desire to work within a team setting
- Strong client service orientation
- Demonstrated project management and event management experience
- High level of comfort with social media
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and database management
- Must be able to work extended hours (on mornings, evenings, and weekends) as it relates to special projects and events
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND/OR TRAINING:
- 5+ years experience in marketing/business development project management
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related discipline
- Advanced degree preferred
To submit your resume or for information regarding current career opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.